• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth is brain dead

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people say this. I beg to differ and believe that Marth holds fundamentals over technical skill. Your thoughts?

AirFair

Marth tho
The people who say he's brain dead are probably not very good. He takes a lot of precision, and yes, fundamentals go a long way.

I can sort of see it being true given how many times I have died to Marth dittos in stupid ways. Despite knowing about the whole Fthrow -> Fsmash thing every new player I see seems to try out I still get caught by it every once in a while and lose a couple stocks to it. Not to mention there are a few times where I would expect the slow juggle and get hit by something stupid and it kills me.

Say random Dtilt at the ledge for no reason, I mess up my timing on other characters trying to punish it and die. His Dair spikes can lead to some interesting things.

The ordeal to me simply feels like when you are new to the game Marth feels formidable particularly as spacies, then when you get better those matches tend to feel a lot worse. The mistakes made which give you a large reward tend to get punished more easily and you start to realize how terrible the lag is on everything marth seems to do.

"I just whiffed a grab how the hell am I not getting hit for that x.X"

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I don't feel like going on a full rant about this, but just because Marth isn't as technical on the hands as other top-tier characters are doesn't make him braindead. It means that he's a more fundamental-driven character. Also, you've basically got to know a rather different fighting style for just about every single MU that he has because of how fluidly he works.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Fsmashing three times in a row hoping your opponent runs into the third is just next level oldschool mind games.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I had one time that I cheesed a win against a random G&W by literally fsmashing all of his stocks away.

Xxaz_v

Smash Cadet
Marth isn't really brain dead. He's just a good character to learn the basics of the game with. I do find myself not thinking about what the hell I'm doing from time to time. Probably because I have ADHD. This usually results in me doing something crazy like approaching with a SHFFL'd dair. So now I just end up standing still and waiting for an opening, which gets me punished. Or if I'm on battlefield I wait on a platform near the edge and just dair when they try to jump up.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Marth isn't really brain dead. He's just a good character to learn the basics of the game with. I do find myself not thinking about what the hell I'm doing from time to time. Probably because I have ADHD. This usually results in me doing something crazy like approaching with a SHFFL'd dair. So now I just end up standing still and waiting for an opening, which gets me punished. Or if I'm on battlefield I wait on a platform near the edge and just dair when they try to jump up.
That's probably a matter of awareness and breaking bad/old habits. I used to do teh same, but forcing myself to play well has seriously improved me.

dinn3rr

Smash Cadet
To be honest, only low-level Marth play is "braindead". It's just comprised of f-throw f-smash and the like. Mid-high level marth play however is one of the most difficult characters to play imo. Perfect spacing, followups and conversions are REALLY hard vs floaties (Like f-throw --> dash pivot tipper F-smash on puff/peach)

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Just trick them into falling for a counter. It's easy to do and it'll definitely piss them off
I don't see you fooling any good Marth into getting Countered unless you have enough time for reacting to it. Just learn to play the game properly :p

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I don't see you fooling any good Marth into getting Countered unless you have enough time for reacting to it.
But I was talking about Marth's counter...

But I've just started playing the game now. Besides I also
Charge my neutral B when spacies recover using thier up-B

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Charging the Shield Breaker to handle spacies is a bit of a bet because if they sweetspot the ledge, it misses.

Using Counter is a huge problem because the frames where Counter is active is really negligible compared to how long you're open if they don't hit your Counter. If they see it coming, you get punished super hard. It's only useful on a hard read or to handle upBing spacies under certain circumstances.
I can see that, but compared to other games Marth's counter in Melee sucks. I mean he gets like 7% per every counter made unlike the better 1.1X damage Roy gets or the multipliers for Marth in Brawl or Smash 4. Shield Breaker is a bet though, usually you know that they're ether going to Up-B or Side-B when they do it due to the long start up animations for them. Especially Up-B. You do not know how many lvl 9 Spacies CPU's I K.O.'ed because they used their Up-b (when they did recover), it's that readable. I wish we were able to make tournament worthy A.I.'s so that computer training would be better. It's so hard to find good players with a ****ty mac and no real Melee scene around you. I might just end up doing a Melee club or something.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Yeah, gimping a lvl9 computer doesn't mean anything. CPUs always upB in towards the stage, and never sweetspot the ledge. If a good Fox uses their second jump and upBs past your Jump fair upB range, they can easily recover high past your Shield Breaker and get back to the stage for free because of it. Mang0 is a testament to how well recovering high can work.

twopercent

Smash Cadet
marth's learning curve is very gentle at first, but playing a high level marth is just as hard as any other top tier.

easy to pick up, hard to master. there are definitely other characters which are much harder to pick up than marth, but playing any character at a high level is difficult.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Fox has uthrow CGs on spacies. Honestly, people complain about Marth because his combo game is more BnB than a lot of other characters. As my bro words it "that f---ing metal stick"

Top Bottom