• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth help

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
As a Marth player, I have found that I keep losing to people who can read me better than I can read them. Is there any advice besides experience that would help me learn to read people/anticipate things like that? It gets really annoying when I cant beat my friend except for like 1 / 10 of the time, on chance, TKO's etc.

Thanks

FingDIAHK

Smash Rookie
Well, I find myself reading my friends way to much! The fact is, you dont want to read your friends because when you fight someone who you have never fought before, you will be assuming they will act like your friends and do horribly. Really the only advice I can give is to learn that other characters spacing and fighting style. For ex. if your fighting a falco when you throw him up he can only DI infront or behind you. Learn to react instead of try and guess what they are about to do, odds are your going to be wrong.

Just learn jump heights, attack placements, movement speeds, attack knockback and make your own fighting style. I find myself be offensive alot because I can't stand standing there doing nothing. Thats one of my weaknesses

Now, on the other hand. If you are never going to fight new people and will always play this same set of friends. Watch them, you will start to see patterns, and for GOD SAKE if you do something and they hit you, DONT TRY IT AGAIN. The odds are they will hit you again! There are very few things DI cant solve. When they start a combo never and I mean never DI into that person. That is just asking for another hit!

Statuskuo

Smash Rookie
Uhh, you always want to read people. Just don't assume that they act exactly the same as your friends. Start cautiously, and then as you get a feel for the way they play, start anticipating their actions.

Try and notice what they like to do after each action. For example, when they hit the ground, do the like to tech? Which direction? If you notice things like this, you can anticipate and tech chase or whatever. Also, if you find that the person has a shieldgrab reflex, fake and approach, wait for the grab, and punish. Etc etc.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Thank you both for the input, I guess now that you mention it I try to look for patterns, I just fail to respond appropriately. I will work on spacing and that sort of technical stuff, it's just hard since I live alone and have no one my level to practice with on a regular basis. Regarding friends vs competitors about reading them, is there any level of react-ability that should let me know to stop trying to figure it out and just react? In other words is there something I should strive for in terms of achievement?

Top Bottom