• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Help Badly

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
My freind uses marth, he isnt great with him he just edge guards incredibly good, hes got amazing timing and i can never recover from like 50 dmg wat should i use on him... im an average falco not great.. wat shuld i do!!!!

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
Dont fall off the edge? Honestly marths best feature is his insane edgeguarding. I think chain throwing may be whats getting you off the edge. Try to mix up your recovery instead of coming back with the same move every time or being predictable. If hes hitting you with Fsmash or Dtilt when you try to recover with Firebird learn to ledge tech/wall tech and you will easily get past him. If you have trouble getting back up onto the stage after grabbing the ledge you have many options. Wall jumping>Phantasm/Ledge drop>DJ>Phantasm/LHDL/Ledge hop Nair or Dair/Any auto animation.

Falcos worst property is his laughably poor recovery. Marth best feature is his reach and ledge guarding. Marth has a huge advantage over falco in this sense. Easy to say you probably will want to avoid stages like Battlefield and yoshi story. But stages like FD (aside from chain throwing) and DL64 are very good in this match up.

mathos

Smash Champion
Infinite brings up amazing points!

Truly the best advice is to stay away from the edge. Now that doesn't mean camp the middle but you really don't want to find yourself in bad positioning near the edge. And if you're off the edge try and mix it up a little bit. Don't always firebird or always phantasm, start them at weird times and awkward places, you could even shorten the phantasm.

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
try this if you are on an edge: your opponent smashes you, you come back and run 2 the other side your friend comes up running towards you jump near the edge float down (r or l +down) the opponent may jump and do some atacks but miss and you (on the ground) can smash them up combo them and grab and thow (then smash) they will not have enough energy 2 recover when they fall off (so this tec should help).
also falko pigma is attacking the great fox help! oh and the phantasm is ez to avoud and counter so use it for a suprise and a shield breaker. now... aughhh... (explosions)

Zack353

Smash Ace
Wall tech? Falco ***** marth's recovery too with the lightshield edgeguard, so just learn to do that..

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
I'd like you to briefly explain this "light shield edge gaurd" because It doesn't work when I try it.

also, to recover from a marth fsmash... shine first, use your jump to go near the edge but away from his range. then shine to stall as he does an fsmash. then just over b in to him.

its crucial to learn to ledge tech. Falco can be one of the best characters in the game, but consequetly, he's one of the hardest as well.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Lasers and ledge teching my friend. Stay more center of the field. Work him over with lasers and get in past his tip range, and keep him imobilized so he can't grab. His slow falling speed makes it a little harder to shine combo him, but good moves I usually employ is single shine to bair/nair, D-tilt, crouch cancel a non-tipper to pop him up into aerial combos, u-tilt serves the same ends, and I also really like the Uair.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
simply light shield, and then position the shield off the edge, whilst standing off it.

if marth attempts a sweetspot, you will instantly edgeguard. its quite noticable.

not enough people use it because its hard to setup.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
It's also highly situational and not actually any better than just edgehogging in most cases. This tech is mildly useful at best and if you just play your edgegaurds smart, there's no need for it. Learn to wavedash into an edgehog and you'll have gained a skill that is infinitely more useful than the lightshield edgehog.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
My freind uses marth, he isnt great with him he just edge guards incredibly good, hes got amazing timing and i can never recover from like 50 dmg wat should i use on him... im an average falco not great.. wat shuld i do!!!!
3 things, 1)switch to fox, 2)learn to edge tech, and 3)dont suck....

no but seriously 2 things...:

1)Learn to edge tech...and if you dont know what that is heres 2 links...1st is by viperboy...a really good falco edge-techer, and second is were to learn to do it...

Link 1: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1974622126045692811&hl=en
Link 2: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=82766

2)Dont suck....but seriously dont put yourself in positions that cause you to be taken off the edge AS-MUCH!, bein off the edge happens to everyone, but pros avoid it more than others...

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
Don't enter his grab range since it so huge, and shl any chance you get. Doing that you will force marth to come to you and not the other way around. take your chances with marth, if you can catch him in a shine a easy dair to u-tilt to uair to b-air will do around 65-70 damage, after that try to bait the marth into a mistake

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
hahaha after all of this i put his *** to shame..... i love it 3 stocking him and 2 stock every time..... mainly just mindgames on recovery... plus that combo that puts 50-70 dmg on him

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
I can help you cus my best bud is a marth/mario freak.

The best thing to do is think "If i was marth what would I HATE falco to do against me?" Lasers, that's what. Advance on him using lasers, but not shl because he'll probably do a shuffle if he's any good a marth. You want to be able to laser him on any level, and make sure he knows you're capable of it.

When you lasered him enough and he's stunned by the laser, go in quickly with a nair and try to work in a pillar/shine combo. Basically doing this and staying out of the tip's range and away from edges is your best shot at beating a really good marth as a falco. Good luck.

Top Bottom