• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Handicap 8 vs Mario Lvl 9 Cpu

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
This is sort of neat, but once you understand the game and how the cpu works it's not really that impressive. Really you can beat a lvl 9 cpu for most characters with marth by just standing in one place and F-Smashing or retreating fair them to death?

Segnifs

Smash Cadet
This is sort of neat, but once you understand the game and how the cpu works it's not really that impressive. Really you can beat a lvl 9 cpu for most characters with marth by just standing in one place and F-Smashing or retreating fair them to death?
I'm still new to this game, the only thing i got worth watching for now is decent technical skill. I'm used to practicing technical stuff until i build more pvp experience, i'm pretty much just a dancer for now. :035:

Last edited:

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
I'm still new to this game, the only thing i got worth watching for now is decent technical skill. I'm used to practicing technical stuff until i build more pvp experience, i'm pretty much just a dancer for now. :035:
Lol. Well, if you happen to catch any practice or match footage (real opponent) you could throw it up in the Marth Video Critique Thread. I definitely wouldn't mind giving you some pointers (not that I'm some super expert or anything).

PlamZ

Smash Cadet
If you want a good CPU practice I highly recommend going 10 minutes matches against a lvl 1 Fox/Falco/Marth on Battlefield/FD.

If you do all the combination that's a 1h practice. FD can be used for basic chaingrab timings and juggling. Battlefield for platform spacing, wavelands and platform combo off spacies. Chaingrabs can't be 100% learned from CPU, but you can get a decent amount of timing and understanding. Make sure to practice it on both spacies as they have a slightly different timing which can throw you off if you're not used to it.

All the defensive stuff you learn from computers is most likely very harmful to your overall play. Focus on practicing movement as well as combos when you're against CPU. When doing friendlies, analyze what you're doing wrong and try to improve one little aspect of the neutral/defensive game at a time.

Edit : You can also add Falcon to the mix, he has a very unique weight to deal with.

Last edited:

Segnifs

Smash Cadet
Lol. Well, if you happen to catch any practice or match footage (real opponent) you could throw it up in the Marth Video Critique Thread. I definitely wouldn't mind giving you some pointers (not that I'm some super expert or anything).

Well, i got a brother who fights me on ssb once in a while, were around the same level. So i might upload a match with a real opponent soon. I'm up for any constructive criticism to help me improve.

If you want a good CPU practice I highly recommend going 10 minutes matches against a lvl 1 Fox/Falco/Marth on Battlefield/FD.

If you do all the combination that's a 1h practice. FD can be used for basic chaingrab timings and juggling. Battlefield for platform spacing, wavelands and platform combo off spacies. Chaingrabs can't be 100% learned from CPU, but you can get a decent amount of timing and understanding. Make sure to practice it on both spacies as they have a slightly different timing which can throw you off if you're not used to it.

All the defensive stuff you learn from computers is most likely very harmful to your overall play. Focus on practicing movement as well as combos when you're against CPU. When doing friendlies, analyze what you're doing wrong and try to improve one little aspect of the neutral/defensive game at a time.

Edit : You can also add Falcon to the mix, he has a very unique weight to deal with.
Why train against level 1 cpu's? I was wondering is it because it's easier to practice technical skill against a lvl 1 cpu? Wouldn't it be better to practice against a lvl 9 cpu because they pose more pressure?

Last edited:

PlamZ

Smash Cadet
Well, i got a brother who fights me on ssb once in a while, were around the same level. So i might upload a match with a real opponent soon. I'm up for any constructive criticism to help me improve.

Why train against level 1 cpu's? I was wondering is it because it's easier to practice technical skill against a lvl 1 cpu? Wouldn't it be better to practice against a lvl 9 cpu because they pose more pressure?
Lvl9 CPU will mostly get you to develop bad habit. They are always frame perfect and projectile are mostly useless against them. Even worse, they won't even DI throws most of the time.

Segnifs

Smash Cadet
Lvl9 CPU will mostly get you to develop bad habit. They are always frame perfect and projectile are mostly useless against them. Even worse, they won't even DI throws most of the time.
I'll try lvl 8, i don't want to go that low the cpu would be too easy to beat.

PlamZ

Smash Cadet
I'll try lvl 8, i don't want to go that low the cpu would be too easy to beat.
I don't think you understand. The goal is not to beat the CPU. It is to concentrate on a single part of your game to ensure you can get confident using it. The only reason you put a CPU is that you at least want to to come back on stage when you hit it. Otherwise you could almost litteraly plug another controller in.

I have way more than 1000 hours clocked in against CPU alone. I am telling your right now that any CPU above lvl 4 will make your skill level worse.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Re: CPUs, M2K has actually written about it, which one of the below articles covers. I recommend reading both of them, though. In short, lvl9 CPUs have a lot of 1-frame reactions, especially when it comes to grabbing/outgrabbing you, and perfect shielding projectiles. Their DI is also really, really inhuman and they have the bad tendency of falling for ridiculous tricks time and time again. On top of that, their recoveries are predictable. If you read through the articles, M2K recommends lvl1 and lvl4 CPUs for the most part because it's the closest to human DI that you'll find among the AIs that the game has to offer.

http://old.clashtournaments.com/play-to-your-strengths/
http://old.clashtournaments.com/covering-options/

Top Bottom