• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Edge Guarding Options?

SteezyWonder

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! I'm a newer Marth main, and so far, one of my problems seems to be a lack of verity (and success) with my edge guarding.

As of right now I try to mix up:
  • F-Smash
  • Neutral B
  • Grabbing (If opportunity is presented)
  • Spike with D-Air (This option usually leads to me falling to my death. Any pointers on this would also be appreciated!)
I realize that I already have a few options here, but I am wondering if there are any other options I have for an Edge Guard and if anyone could maybe give tips regarding the option given.

In advance, thanks for your help!

Royaxe

Smash Rookie
For F-smash you pretty much just need to get a tipper (because hitting with the tip of the sword give more knock back) it will send them farther back and if they used there jump they will die alot of the time. also alot of people try to hit with the end of the F-smash motion but you can get a tipper with other frames too.

Neutral B should only be used if they are for sure going to land on the stage and you can charge it for a while.

If you are grabbing someone if you can face inward and grab then D-Throw and hit with a F-smash.

For D-airs It sounds like you jumping of the edge and trying to D-air which will get you killed most of the time, I would only really use a D-air as a ledge guard if they are recovering just above ledge grab range and I'm standing on the edge because you will just land on the stage and they will get meteored away from the stage most times.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
You miss the down-tilt which is one of the most important edgeguards. Down-tilt at the ledge beats most illusion-type recoveries and non-sweetspotted ledge grab attempts

Try inputting a jump immediately before the dair. You can even stay onstage if you want.

Also, run off fair is good against tetherers. Short hop/Full jump nair against high recoveries is also strong because it does more knockback than most other edgeguards on high recoveries if tippered. Using jab against illusion-type recoveries is also possible.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
What about FTilt? It works like FSmash, only with an upwards hitbox, and because of it having less cooldown, it requires less of a commitment.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
F-tilt can sometimes be used as replacement for jab edgeguarding but it also has some problems:
- Less range
- Not that downward hitbox everybody loves so much about f-smash/d-tilt covering many options
- Higher knockback angle making surviving easier again

Can have its uses, but its duration is also 35 frames and I would recommend d-tilt as low commitment option (20 frames duration). You often have the opportunity to put out a d-tilt to counter an early recovery and then do something else if they didn't recover yet which also has a very strong psychological factor (they probably expect you to keep going for down-tilts now).

KABO0S

Smash Cadet
I don't claim to be amazing with Marth. However, his Dair is best used immediately after jumping. When your momentum is upwards is when you're the safest using it. Practice with Marth makes best. You have to learn spacing and such to really take advantage of this character. Spacing is everything, tippers and their knockback and sour-spots and their knockback. Fsmash is an amazing ledge guard move, the hitbox is huge at the end and if you can time it right your Marth will improve exponentially.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I don't claim to be amazing with Marth. However, his Dair is best used immediately after jumping. When your momentum is upwards is when you're the safest using it. Practice with Marth makes best. You have to learn spacing and such to really take advantage of this character. Spacing is everything, tippers and their knockback and sour-spots and their knockback. Fsmash is an amazing ledge guard move, the hitbox is huge at the end and if you can time it right your Marth will improve exponentially.
This is true for >95% for cases, very important to know. Dairs not after a jump will often lead to SDs or getting edgeguarded yourself...

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Your best option in most cases is D-tilt. Unless they sweetspot, it'll poke them out to an uncomfortable position.

If you have the time, you can also grab the ledge, refresh your invincibility and bair them away as they try to come near. Keeping your invincibility is important as it allows you to go through their recovery moves.

Top Bottom