• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Dittos vs Shiek Counter Pick

AwesomeM7

Smash Rookie
I'm having issues in Marth dittos. It seems hard to apply pressure or gain stage control. Even if the Marth player is inexperienced I still have trouble. Is there any good advice for Marth dittos or another thread? The other question I have is should I just play shiek against Marth. Shiek is a rather easier character for me to use however I haven't explored her a lot. So what should I do keep with my main and try to study Marth dittos or try to learn Shiek better on order to counter pick.

Last edited:

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
It depends on whether you consider sheik to be a double main, or if you're just picking up sheik to avoid the ditto. I would say that you're better off sticking with marth than switching characters for that matchup, but marth dittos definitely encourage a really safe playstyle since he can punish himself really hard, so if you're not comfortable with that then sheik may be a better choice.

AwesomeM7

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the answer Sabreknight I think I'm going to stay with Marth and try to work on playing defensively.

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Happy to help! I actually really enjoy marth dittos, so let me know if you have any questions.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
I would highly recommend against picking up another character to deal with a match-up in any situation. If you're losing, that's a symptom of you doing something wrong and identifies a problem area in your play. By switching characters, you might have an easier time winning against that same Marth, but you're not fixing the problems that you had, you're just putting a band-aid on top.

Like Sabreknight said, you can't play super aggressively against Marth because it's super easy to mis-space and get punished. In Marth dittos, generally it's the grounded Marth that has the advantage. You can't approach with a raw fair or nair, as they'll outrange you with ftilt or fsmash. It can be tough to get a raw grab on Marth, but dtilt into dash-forward grab is good for catching their grounded approach. Stage positioning is super important in Marth dittos too. Because it's so easy for Marth to get Marth offstage, you always want to be controlling center stage, and you don't want to just give it up to try an get a little bit more damage. If you grab them at the edge and throw them offstage, you can catch them with an fsmash if they DI in.

Edit: One other thing. If they fsmash your shield, you can wavedash out-of-shield and get a grab while they're still in lag. If you can do that consistently, you'll never lose to another nooby Marth, because that trick alone will give you an opportunity to punish every time you enter their range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom