• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's worst enemy...Diddy?

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I just cant beat a good Diddy player. Hes just as strong as mario, but attacks crazy fast and those bananas are just evil when Diddy is dash attacking everywhere! I usually don't make threads like this but it just seems that Diddy is too perfect of a counter for Mario...help?

Naota21t

Smash Champion
I just cant beat a good Diddy player. Hes just as strong as mario, but attacks crazy fast and those bananas are just evil when Diddy is dash attacking everywhere! I usually don't make threads like this but it just seems that Diddy is too perfect of a counter for Mario...help?
Keep to the air. Don't dash attack. EVER. Try to be on the offensive the few times your on the ground (you should focus on utilts or dsmashs if you're trying to kill). While in the air just build yourself a wall of priority with Mario's bair.

Your projectiles are pretty much the same, but Diddy's can charge, but that doesn't make much of a difference. Keep your spacing with fireballs, occasional capes, bairs and ftilts. Due to Diddy's crap recovery, you can edgeguard pretty safely with bairs. IMO the best way to take Diddy clear off the stage is to combo from utilt and chase off with uairs. Due to uairs fast start up and little lag, its possible to chain them, and since Diddy's recovery needs to be charged to be any good, you can just uair while he's charging up his jet pack.

Good caping is essential in this match. Not just for his recovery but for his fair and bairs. The timing is really difficult, but if you can predict when he'll do an aerial, then puts you in a good situation to chase Diddy off with uairs.

When on the defensive, don't even try shield grabbing (unless its a laggy attack, AKA smashes). DON'T EVEN THINKING OF SHIELD GRABBING HIS DASH ATTACK. It has so little lag that he's pretty much guaranteed to be safe whenever he dash attacks through you. A lot of Diddy's like to dash attack through your shield so as to avoid to get shield grabbed; a good way to counter this is to get used to jumping out of your shield. You'll be surprised how useful nairs and bairs out of your shield will help. If he's applying a ton of pressure, and you have a bit of space, bust out a nair from your shield, and most of the time it'll land and it'll give you some breathing room.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
That actually seems very useful. A huge problem for me is always that Mario has no real air attack with good priority that hits below him. A Diddy I played spammed dash attack its up airs the whole game, and then D smashed me when i landed.

His recovery is much better than it looks, because he can b side into his second jump and then do his charged up b. Even when I do manage to edge guard it, the rocket usually hits me and he does his b up again while im recovering!

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Diddy's dash attack is very hard to punish consider it has almost no lag

anyway...

you shouldn't be trying to approach Diddy from above you should be using Bair walls and fireballs...also pick up the banana peels he drops...

Diddy is far from Mario's worst match-up you just have to pay attention

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Due to Diddy's crap recovery, you can edgeguard pretty safely with bairs..
umm...you do know that Diddy's up B alone can go from off of the screen all the way to the edge on FD right? Not to mention I could also side B and THEN do it, making my horizontal recovery one of the best in the entire game. Vertical wise, you can go straight up from barely off of the screen and still make it back to the ledge of FD (i use FD in both examples since you'd be playing this map most of the time if you were in a tourney situation)

as for how to beat him..how do i look telling you how to beat my main? go figure it out =P

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
You can catch Diddy's shooting peanuts, throw em on the ground, and recover a bit with a snack.

Just a small tidbit that you can annoy Diddy players with.

LittleKey

Smash Cadet
I would probably say that Diddy has the best horizontal recovery in the game. SideB to UpB is brutal. The only thing I could say to help is to not get in the way of his UpB.

Top Bottom