• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's punishes

Jagqfeat

Smash Rookie
Lately I've found myself with players that tend to roll immediately after they throw out an unsafe move, or just because their attack didn't hit. Even though I've read they're going to roll, as a Mario main, my runspeed is just too bad, so I'm just eating smash attacks all day.

Since this is a common technique online (Not enough time to play Anther's ladder) I'd like to hear what do you usually do when reading a roll, in the pro scene the most common punish is a running grab, but even :4bowser: runs faster.

Last edited:

DeliciousDarren

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-3664-3412
Debuz talks about rolling. This video may be a bit old, but I think its very applicable for all of us.

Key points of the video
1) There are certain frames that the character is vulnerable, learn and recognize these general frames
2) Punishing rolls are easier with certain moves than others
3) Certain characters roll more often due to being uncomfortable up close
4) Watch for common rolling situations (ex. opponent is at edge of stage)
5) Space yourself appropriately to punish rolls better
6) Sometimes rolling around can be a strong mix up
7) Rolling through projectiles can be very useful
8) Positioning yourself to where your opponent cannot roll behind you / in front of you can help you read them.

Watching the video can give you a better idea if you have 20 minutes. Sorry if this wasn't what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
When I read a roll backwards, I run along the roll and up smash as soon as it ends. SH D-air can also be used for that as it allows for follow ups. Just my 2 cents on this.

Zero Meddler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroMeddler
3DS FC
1633-4671-0386
For rollers, Mario's DSmash is plenty useful if you can cath them and FSmash is good if you can time it properly (although it's MUCH harder to do so but that much more satisfying when you do).

Like anyone else will say, it's important to pay attention to HOW they roll. Will they do it when you're too close or use it as a tool to gain some distance. Watch them carefully, then punish them appropriately.

Top Bottom