• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Movement

Osmosis124

Smash Cadet
Hello, I'm new to this character and would like to know his movement potential.

For example characters like Bowser and Ganon can perfect waveland with a completely horizontal air dodge, and I wondering if mario could do this.

What advanced movement can mario do with side B.

If I'm on the ledge what are ways I can re grab it and or get on stage.

Is the Up B wall jump still in, and how do I practice and perform it?

What more should I learn?

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hello, I'm new to this character and would like to know his movement potential.

For example characters like Bowser and Ganon can perfect waveland with a completely horizontal air dodge, and I wondering if mario could do this.
Yes, Mario can "perfect" waveland.

What advanced movement can mario do with side B.
One cool thing you can do is use side-B as you are running off a platform or off the side of the stage and, with good timing, you can fly/float pretty far to the side.

If I'm on the ledge what are ways I can re grab it and or get on stage.
Mario actually has an amazing ledge-dash. With proper timing you can let go, jump, and air-dodge completely horizontally and slide really far back on stage.

Is the Up B wall jump still in, and how do I practice and perform it?
Yes, it's still in the game. In order to do it in the current version (3.5), you have to initiate the up-B while you are up against the side of a wall, then you can hit the control stick away from the wall at the top of your up-B to wall jump.

What more should I learn?
Stuff.

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
You should practice both Back Air and up air wavelands.

If yo/u get efficent enough with BAwl's(back air waveland), it can be a good tool for spacing and movement etc.
one neat trick/bait is if you back air just right someones shield(you have to 1: perfectly input the Sh BA so you can act out before you land 2: hit the back air deep in shied. Like by mario's waist). . You can wave land/ air dodge right past them. Again this is if you are super clean with your tech.

Its sweet because it places you nicely behind your opponent, leaving them open for a jab. Its a Bait because most people (when you try to hit something on shield) will try to punish you in some way(usually a shield grab). When they do try to punish you, you'll be behind them and avoid the attack.

Also if you space back Air's on sheild correctly you could waveland in case they had some kind od OOs option.

Up air wavelands (UAwl) are a nice for combo's that may extend to far. their best use i find is to use it to past peoples shields. As my up air makes contact i past through shield with air dodge/wave lands before i can get punished.

Edit: 9/20/2015
ALso i use SH Up Air WL as a fake out option. I will approach with the SH up air but then waveland back before my opponent can hit me. I usually use this in close knit spacing games.

If I'm on the ledge what are ways I can re grab it and or get on stage
Ive been meaning to talk more about this. So im just going to make a thread instead, with gyfcats to aid in explanations. but in short. Invincible Up Air lip through stages, and invicble dair up towards ledge is very viable.

Last edited:

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
Mario has godlike movement in this game. His perfect Wavelands are amazing, and his ledgedash is one of the best in the game. Another thing you can use Uawl for, is rising fullhop upair to a platform, then WL off.

Top Bottom