• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's down grab to up tilts

DatSmasher

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0903-2784-5063
I'm trying to perform Mario's down throw combo, but the cpu(Link) keeps jumping out of it. Am I doing something wrong? Sometimes they jump out after the first up tilt, sometimes after the second.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Down throw sucks in smash 4 at early percents. Use upthrow instead. You should have more success.

snaptrap

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1743-4601
I'm trying to perform Mario's down throw combo, but the cpu(Link) keeps jumping out of it. Am I doing something wrong? Sometimes they jump out after the first up tilt, sometimes after the second.
I think you're simply too slow. I can manage it pretty well all the time. On lower percent, use up tilt or ups mash as a follow-up. On higher percent it stops working, so use short hopped down air or an up special as a follow-up rather than an up tilt or up smash. You've got to practice and learn to recognize what follow-ups will work. Hope this helped.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
The up-tilts will work until 30-40% if Link is at 0%. If he's above 40%, they will be sent too high after the down-throw, which means you can only really follow up with Uair.
Also, the CPU tends to airdodge after escaping of the knockback from your last U-tilt. This is really easily punishable with a charged forward smash. :)

Last edited:

DatSmasher

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0903-2784-5063
Cool, forgot to mention this happens on 0%. I'm probably just too slow then.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D-throw sucks at 0 ESPECIALLY against fastfallers. You ideally want to tack on 9% or so on fastfalling characters before attempting D-throw/U-tilt combos.

It's worth trying other followups like D-throw -> Jab or D-throw -> D-smash to my understanding, but you would have to experiment and see what is more reliable for yourself.

Top Bottom