• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Dair

marthsword

Smash Ace
Excuse me for being a terrible Mario player. I was in a thread the other day where a great Mario player stated that his dair is one of his best moves. I had always thought that all the other aerials surpassed the dair. Is it really that good, and what are it's uses?

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
D-air has massively high priority. If you ever get the chance to check out the size of the actual hitboxes in AR, you'll see that out of all of his aerials, it has the largest hitbox. Yes, even larger than b-air/u-air/f-air/sex kick.

The high priority makes the d-air a fairly decent move in all sorts of situations, such as:

1) Fastfalled d-air when in midair can prevent juggling, as it beats out a large number of attacks

2) When shffl'd, it can lead into a reasonable number of different moves to combo: jabs, grabs, u-tilts, shieldgrabbing

3) Shffl'd d-airs at the edge can edgeguard, and especially screw over fastfallers/sweetspotters

4) Fulljumped d-airs/shffl'd d-airs are a reasonable means of approaching the opponent

5) D-air can combo in midair--i.e. u-tilt -> fulljumped d-air -> double-jumped sex kick

One thing to note is that d-airs that land on the ground often have a special hit that causes horizontal knockback; a way to get around this is to combo with d-air at >50%, since at that point, the opponent will be dragged into the air, thus preventing the grounded hit from occurring.

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
down air attack / aerial. you should look at one of the stickied (maybe) basic abbreviation guides in the main Smash general boards.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
down air attack / aerial. you should look at one of the stickied (maybe) basic abbreviation guides in the main Smash general boards.
Oh, okay,thanks. These terms are relatively new to me, so sorry if I don't get them right away.

Top Bottom