• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's chaingrab on Diddy

Is this significant to the metagame?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Money

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'm a longtime smasher but am new to the smash community. While training with Mario on the Wii U, I discovered something reminiscent of the chaingrab which was supposedly gotten rid of in smash 4 due to there being a limit to how quickly one could regrab after throwing or releasing. However, I have found a way to guarantee a regrab by hitting the enemy with Mario's uptilts and downtilts. Mario actually has these "guaranteed regrabs" on many large and heavy characters such as Bowser, Donkey Kong, King Dedede and on characters who fall fast like Little Mac, Captain Falcon, and Fox as well as Sheik and Diddy. I call them "guaranteed regrabs" or gr's instead of chaingrabs because you don't grab immediately but rather keep them in hitstun with low knockback moves after Mario's downthrow long enough to wait out the regrab time effectively guaranteeing it. How many regrabs and how much damage Mario can deliver depends on the opponents size, weight, and falling speed obviously. I have tested this method on jump dummies, level 9 computers, and humans di'ing away as well as up and away and the gr's still work.

Here are a few examples with matchup, percents, and move order

Bowser at around 5% (works almost identically with Donkey Kong and Dedede(with Dedede you can start at 0%))

grab-downthrow-dtilt-dtilt-dashgrab-downthrow-dtilt-dtilt-dashgrab ---> Downthrow followup

Guaranteed 50-57%

Diddy at around 0-10% (same with Sheik but at 15-20%)

grab-downthrow-utilt-dtilt-grab-downthrow-dtilt-dtilt-dashgrab---> Downthrow followup

Guaranteed 35% if started at 10% and guaranteed 48% if started at 0%

Captain Falcon at 15%

grab-downthrow-utilt-dtilt-grab-downthrow-utilt-dtilt-grab-downthrow-dtilt-dtilt-dashgrab---> Downthrow followup (uair)

Guaranteed 60%

As you can see many of these guaranteed regrabs operate the same but the start percentage and the choice between dtilt and utilt or grab and dashgrab depends on the weight, falling speed, and size. I believe that this works on most of the cast but it is most effective on large, heavy fastfallers. I think that this is significant to Mario's metagame because it gives Mario a guaranteed way of racking up damage early on when the enemy is at a low percent. I also think that this is significant due to the fact that it is a new technical method of racking up damage that adapts to the new smash 4 mechanics. Mario is the only character so far that I have found guaranteed regrabs with but I'm sure that there are other specific matchups with different characters at certain percents where this tactic works. Please provide feedback in case I messed up or something new concerning this tactic is discovered. Thank you.

Raijinken

Smash Master
This sort of chain combo was discovered in the demo to work on most characters up to around 50-60%. Haven't actually seen the downtilt form, but it makes sense.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
D-tilt does have less knockback growth than U-tilt, and I discovered something like this before but not with dashgrab implemented.

I'll test this out when I have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom