• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario vs Ness Matchup (CUSTOMS ON)

Kvar

Smash Rookie
NNID
ArashiYamada
I have a bit of a problem trying to face Ness as Mario. I keep running into a Ness player at a monthly tournament series I goto that allows customs and he keeps getting the best of me. He runs default Ness and I've just started running 2312 against him (Fast Fireball, Gusty Cape, standard up-b, and Scalding fludd). Any tips are appreciated for the matchup but if you have any tips on how to use these customs too that would be excellent!

Seal

Smash Journeyman
It would be very helpful if you happened to have a video of one of your matches. Were they streamed and uploaded to YouTube?

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I personally use normal fireballs, gusty cape, high powered fludd, and normal up b on the rare occasions I play custom Mario. Fludd gimps Ness to the next millennium, especially with gusty cape. Remember that Ness's recovery is very risky, especially against Mario who can throw him off pretty safely while he literally makes himself a sitting duck in midair. I'd recommend High Pressure FLUDD for sure. Also normal fireballs for possible ledge gimping or security from above are good to have--Not too much against Ness because of his down b, but just in general.

Last edited:

Ezio8913

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ezio8913
3DS FC
4141-5664-8657
Also if he uses pk fire start trying to cape it (better if you get hit to trick him) and when he comes for a grab he'll be caught in it for an easy f-smash.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Default Mario works well against Ness. Regular Fireballs can hit him offstage as he tries to recover low. If he recovers high, FLUDD and Cape. If you practice it well enough, you can go offstage as he starts PK Thunder and use FLUDD for an easy kill and then recover.

Ezio8913

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ezio8913
3DS FC
4141-5664-8657
Fireballs will backfire (no pun intended) since its an energy projectile so use that as a way to force a magnet out and go for a grab

Top Bottom