• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario VS Marth MU help

Name Cannot be changed

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4768-7691-2214
I am Marth
My opponent is Mario

The stage is Pokemon Stadium Two

I am hanging on the edge and Mario is spamming fireballs. How do I recover?

I am standing a bit over twice as far as I need to be to get a tipper F-Smash, Mario spams fire balls to cover his dash attack. How do I punish?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Please post here next time if you have a similar question.
Situation one:
First, be patient, there is no problem in dropping and regrabbing a few times. If they get to near, drop from the ledge, immediately jump, and either nair or fair. It will cancel out the fireballs.
If they are really far away, ledgejumping (just inputting a jump) should be enough if you time it right.
At some distance inbetween it is really hard to not get punished so you will have to mindgame and stall a bit to wait for mistakes, but your best option is often waveland onstage and then shield the fireball, together with drop->jump->aerial and a few options being more situational as normal getup, ledgejump or ledgeroll.

Situation two:
You can be patient again which I recommend because you can slowly work your way forward while hitting fireballs away. The best options for this are:
- d-tilt (also works to deny the dash attack approach)
- sh double fair (keeps you covered with a hitbox, if you clank the fireball with the first they will often approach and run in the second)
- sh nair (has quite a bit of range and also thought to clank the fireballs out)
- sh fair waveland (the fair can clank the fireball and the waveland gives you quite a lot of mobility, use this if you need to readjust)
- shield -> wavedash oos (if you are still at big distance, don't have to fear anything from shielding and want to take ground quickly before Mario claims centerstage)

I mix those depending on situation while moving slightly forward with the short hops. As you get closer you will need to be more careful and sometimes fade away after an aerial. At some point you reach a distance where fireballs would be punished, then you start the dashdancing game and mostly go for a grab.

D

Deleted member

you're bad, mario beats marth solidly.

marth's ledge recovery options aren't great but you can beat fireball pretty easily, ledge jump between fireballs and block and then just try to react. basically any character can do this. DO NOT SWING AT MARIO.

EnigmaticScarecrow

Smash Cadet
Not sure, but if done correctly, could you use counter then recover back to the ledge and get on stage one of the ways you mentioned?

You obviously wouldn't want to do it every time though, but could it work the first?

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
It is very punishable and there are better options. Counter has a little stall so you will still be over the ledge when you are vulnerable again and that means you could be killed at low %s with your jump burnt, probably getting forward smashed

Top Bottom