• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Training

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
So, I'm new to any kind of serious play with Mario and I really want to pick him up as my secondary. This is what I have put together for my training routine so far, I book an hour in a library study room for a couple of days each week to sit down and practice his basics. Right now, here is what I do. What else can I add so that I get really familiar with what the plumber has to offer?

Mario’s Workout Routine:

Watch- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLC_cYFKTs

(FD)
20x Full Hop L-Cancel Airs (or auto canceled)

20x Short Hop L-Cancel Airs

Wavedash Across x10

Waveland into: Jab, F-Tilt, F-Smash, D-Smash, U-Smash, Grab/Running Grab, U-tilt, Short hop x20

Waveland Bair Wall x10

Waveland Uair while traveling across stage x10

DD into: Ftilt, Utilt, Grab, Fsmash, Dsmash, Usmash, and all airs x20

Ledge Regrab 50x each edge

Reclaim stage by (meaing ledge hop into): Uair, Nair, Fair, Dair, UpB, Cape, fireball, Cape to Bair, Wavelanded… Ftilt, Utilt, Jab, Grab, Dsmash, Usmash, Fsmash x20

(Yoshi’s)

Practice max height Tornado x10

Go through UpB recovery routine from the video: Bair, Nair, Uair, Airdodge, Cape, Tornado, Up-B, Reverse fireball, turn around Fair, Dair. X10 each

Waveland to travel platforms x10

Shorthop Uair through platforms without cresting, all platforms x10

(FoD)
Waveland to travel platforms x10

Shorthop Uair through platforms as low as possible, all platforms x10

UpB recovery x10 another x10 from bottom of the stage (the spike)

(other stages)

Practice Up-B recover on all tournament stages where it is possible, both sides, x10.
Practice mode, practice ledge tech with motion sensor mine x10 on each side of every tournament stage.

What other kinds of things can I practice on my own?

What kinds of chain grabs do I need to be proficient at? I can already Jump Cancel grab, so how can I practice applying the technique in my training?

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Nice, I also recently started a pretty small training regimen for Doc that includes stuff like practicing SH WD Bairs, upB cancels, ledgedashes, combos I see in videos, CGs/throw setups etc.
If you have the 20XX hackpack you can practice stuff like spacing your aerials and ftilt/uptilt on an opponent set to nair/grab OoS
Another thing to practice is WD uptilts, the joystick movement is actually a bit tricky, especially in the middle of a match

Top Bottom