• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Match up with Shulk

JeanPaulBadjo

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I was wondering what was the best strategy with Mario when playing against Shulk. The main problem is his down smash (which lasts for 3 strikes and has an ENORMOUS range), his overall range (which is like 2x marios ranges), and that shield monado (which basically makes him unkillable for a while).

Any tips?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
As a Shulk player, I can say that the thing that's gotta get you the win is to play defensively. Shulk HAS to approach you, so if you hang back and throw out some fireballs we will have to approach eventually. When we do it's usually gonna be with Nairs or Fairs so just stay patient, shield, and grab when the moment is right. After that your usual combo game is pretty effective so if you're strong on that, you'll be racking up damage quick.

Zanarkan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zanarkan28
Agreed with everything David has said, I would only add to watch your spacing. If it is a really solid Shulk they have probably mastered auto cancelling their Nair. The are also probably decent at spacing it for minimal risk of being punished after. You want to position your self in shield at enough range to still be able to grab or punish after shielding the attack.

Top Bottom