• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario is just...

How to you deal with the Bros?

• Spacing.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Got gud.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Learned.

• Wasn't issue in the first place.

• Secondary

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other (leave in reply)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really am having trouble with the stupid Mario Brothers.

Especially online it feels impossible to deal with.

I can beat really bad Marios but even its just a good one I can't stand a chance.

Offline it is not as bad tho.

I want to have a secondary because of how popular the Bros are but I want to focus on Roy for now.

If anybody is willing to give me tips I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman

Especially online it feels impossible to deal with.

Online it is not as bad tho.
What? I'm confused as to whether online is better or not. Anyways, the Mario Bros are very read heavy for kills, so as Roy make sure you don't have predictable approaches. Avoid shielding often since they are fishing for grabs at low percents. They don't have great approaches themselves, so you can bait them out for opportunities.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
You generally want to space them out with your sword using your tilts. I'd avoid getting grabbed and fighting in the air since their aerials are generally faster.

What? I'm confused as to whether online is better or not.
It was a spelling error it's fixed now.

After close examination of my matches there where many instances where I decided to shield the fireballs, or react unsafely when Mario was
approaching.

Now I allow myself get hit then ftilt or up b to prevent getting grabbed.

One question is up b safe after getting downthrowed by Mario?

I'm not sure but it looks like it might be a safe option.

Thank you for the tips I plan to put them in my gameplay for this matchup.

Last edited by a moderator:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Online is a pretty crappy way of checking you skill, since sometimes unsafe options go unpunished due to lag.

Up B is only safe if the mario screws up. Mario's down throw has an insanely small amount of endlag, while roy's up b take 9 frames to attack. Somebody correct me if I am wrong though.

Shiarya

Smash Rookie
Mario's up tilt is pure cancer to roy, it's nearly a 50% true combo from 0%, for that reason i started off maining peach, online mario's seem to fall on their face when they can't just run to the edge and gimp your character

ZaeemZ

Smash Rookie
i would say for roy always try to throw out jab it is very fast and should be able to stop the grabs sometimes if that is the problem. also i would say try to recover somewhat low if they don't go down and or use up B if u see them trying to cape or gimp u. also try to generally use faster less laggy moves so less time for being punished. if i am not mistaken forward and back air come out really fast think they out speed marios aerials.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Mario's up tilt is pure cancer to roy, it's nearly a 50% true combo from 0%, for that reason i started off maining peach, online mario's seem to fall on their face when they can't just run to the edge and gimp your character
It's not a true combo, it's a frame trap which is why you can attempt to jump out of it but you end up losing your jump. If you lose your jump then he starts UAir-ing you and it becomes a true combo from there. DI up and away and save your double jump until you're high enough, though I can't stress enough how important it is to save your double jump. If you waste your double jump early then you take big damage, otherwise you should only be taking a couple of hits and resetting neutral.

GingerAle

Smash Rookie
It's not a true combo, it's a frame trap which is why you can attempt to jump out of it but you end up losing your jump. If you lose your jump then he starts UAir-ing you and it becomes a true combo from there. DI up and away and save your double jump until you're high enough, though I can't stress enough how important it is to save your double jump. If you waste your double jump early then you take big damage, otherwise you should only be taking a couple of hits and resetting neutral.
You are either downplayjng, playing non-tournament Marios or do not understand the how much "a couple is" lol.

A grab will net a minimum of 30% And can easily get out of control from there.

If you've discovered how to only get hit by a couple of anything by Mario and take less than 30% off a grab. Post the video and help the community out.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I did some testing with @Jrzfine to figure out optimal DI vs Mario's dthrow utilt combo the other day. Considering a Mario with no rage,

• 0-5% - You should DI down, and shield. You'll be hit by 0-1 utilts.
  • 7%+ (sadly, we forgot to test when the combo ended, whoops) - You should DI the throw up, and quickly rotate your control stick between up and in (quartercircle turns) to escape the utilts as quickly as possible. The least amount of damage we were able to get off of this was 30% starting from 7% (23 % damage done by the combo), but it was hard to get an optimal mash, and mostly we ended up escaping at 38% (31 % damage done by the combo) with a sub-optimal mash.
  • It seemed like simply holding a direction didn't really do much, as every time we tried that (up, in, away, down), we ended up escaping the combo after taking 45% damage (38 % damage done by the combo).
That's just what we able to discover. I welcome other people to test it as well.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, i've never had much of a problem against Mario. Only speaking from online perspective though as thats what i do the most.

I tend to DI Towards/over mario and save the jump until i know i can get out, if you jump early, his hit will cancel your jump.
Well spaced fairs and nairs work well, especially keeping you off the ground so he can't grab you.

If i am grounded, dtilts and jabs work well keeping him just out of reach, spot dodge to grab also works well if he grabs straight away everytime.

Important not to challenge his up smash when landing, mix up landing, even aim for the edge.

Recover low, save your jump and mix it up, this will avoid gimps from flud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom