• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario in 2vs. 2 question.

Darkwyveryn

Smash Rookie
Wouldn't mario be one of the best partners in 2 vs. 2? He might not be a killer or fast, agile person but his fireballs can stop attacks, throws are pretty good, and by opinion, his cape is his best move of all. Every time your partner was going to be nailed, you could easily use the cape and turn him around and then your partner could nail him. Also if they were positioned the right way, that could cause them to kill their own partner. And again, they would have there back towards you.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Mario is awful in 2 v 2.

The 2 v 2 environment favors characters who have these key characteristics:

1) Range/Priority: the more range you have, the more able you are to keep your opponents at bay. It discourages double teaming, increases the probability of your longevity, and discourages lots of approach options.

2) Speed: an obvious advantage. You can rush down opponents faster, save your partner if they're in trouble, exploit openings a lot faster, and all sort of things.

3) Recovery: a good recovery means an increased chance of survival, especially in 2 v 2, since it gives more time for your partner to save you, and stop would-be edgeguarders. If your opponent can't edgeguard you due to partner pressure, you get back on stage. Stallers (Samus, Jiggs, Peach) are especially good for this.

4) Great Killing Moves: high knockback/cheap KO moves/clear-out attacks are a critical element in 2 v 2. Things like Fox's shine/u-smash, Ganon's f-air, Falcon's knee, Sheik's f-air, Marth's f-smash. . .all of these net very early KOs, which put a lot of pressure on the losing team. These KO moves are more important than in 1 v 1, because setup isn't as important, since 2-on-1 pressure is usually a lot more effective than combo setups. Heck, spamming them even works, to certain extents.

Mario is crap in all 4 of these areas. Really. So it goes without saying that as a 2 v 2 character, he's pretty much awful. The thing is, Mario is very much a combo-centric character, and combos are useless in a 2 v 2 setting, which makes him an even less viable option.

I mean, some non-top tiers are great in teams. . .like Jiggs, Ganon, Samus, Falcon, ICs. Mario? Not so much.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Yeah, Mario isn't very good in a team match as Maelstrom said, but he can work if you and your partner have great coordination and spacing, etc.

Surprisingly, a Mario & Luigi team has worked great for me; though I'm sure in most ways it shouldn't. My partner and I just know the spacing and how to link our moves together well enough that it is somehow effective. It wouldn't surprise me too much if high level pros completely gimp that team though.

If you are good enough with another character that IS a good team player, it would probably be best to use them instead.

Coin Chaser

Smash Journeyman
heh, im not so much a hater as everyone, i do think mario is a good character, maybe not the best but i have a few reasons y hes good

1) most people dont know how to play him, dont know his move sets so thats always an advantage

2) i generally get a lot of cheap kills bc of cape and edgeguarding, theres nothing wrong with throwing a fox, falco off the edge at like 12% ( back throw ofcourse)

3) hes a great stock holder, if u play him right

i always feel in these situations u need to play careful.....no running in Die Hard style, make them come to u.....

most of the time who come at u will come with a move with high priority, fox/falco d-air, marth ranging attack with sword (any move haha), i generally play safe and either rush him with a n-air, d-air, or ill wavedash away and f-smash.....its a cheap strategy but it works!! so u dont take damage and u dont lose many lives, which is vital for teams

helping ur partner is always key, when they are about to edge hogged, i come in with a running f-air usually, or a wd forward d-smash to get them off the edge, if i f-air, most of the time they arent paying attention so they get spiked, d-smash is great to get them off the edge as well

also for stock survival, i generally get back if i have all my recovery options (tornado, cape, bl jump) so if i generally always call to my partner if im off, and a good partner will make sure the edge is free for u to get back, which is prob the hardest part for mario in recovering, getting ledge or dealing with lag when up- b on top

if u break it down like maelstrom does, i agree mario looks awful, but those things ive always dealt with as mario in singles as well, i always find the trick to playing mario has always use ur brain, figure out whats how hes going to attack and counter attack with either, rushing him b4 he attacks (c.falcon d-air), using a higher priority move (mario doesnt have many but d-air, u-air in some cases, wd back f-smash) or if u can sheild grab and start comboing.........

its a lot harder to combo in teams, i agree, but if u keep an eye out for the other opponent, most teams fights end up being 1v1s seprate, so if u just keep an eye out, or listen for the person to scream out, enf with a d-smash or f-smash earlier than usual, its not that big of a deal, or throw ur opponent into his teamate or towards ur teamate and let him kno to do a team combo

i genereally do decent in teams in tourneys....so i dont think hes like a total loss to pick like some people say, i have a decent marth but i still think my mario is better in teams

theres my 2 cents about teams, i try to cover everything but i prob left out something haha, hope that helped

Top Bottom