• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario & Gimping

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
First off, I'm not the best Mario player I'm sure, and not the best far as skills either. I'm sure most of ya'll are already aware of this but I had to make a topic on it seeing how nice it is. ;)

I started playing Mario seriously as a joke awhile back to be honest. I didnt know how bad *** that cape & Fludd combo was & could potentially be untill recently after I started messing around with it. I now charge that **** thing constantly during the match, a little bit at a time while i'm on the offensive and easily evading while airborne.

I'd say a good 40% of my KO's are from gimping recovery's, :laugh: it's so easy, and so many variations to go about doing it depending on the opposition's character. After finding out about the gliding cape move off of the edge using you're dash momentum so you'l be farther out with you're 2nd jump still intact, done set it off for me to be honest. About to perfect Mario best I could, lol. I find that to be the most fun, gimping people's recoveries.

An example is:
I had the most trouble against Olimar with my Mario, I still do. Now I attempt to gimp his poor UpB recovery to the fullest extent all the time, every time he goes flying off. Sometime's I cape the edge over an over to stay invincible while holding the edge, Other times I fludd to halt him then cape his ***, while I grab the edge. Or I dash cape glide to be way out there, then mess him up royally while I return safely. It's a hard match up as Mario still. Gimping made it a whole lot easier though. :chuckle:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Welcome to the bliss of Mario maining. His edgeguarding pwns hard, no doubt.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Welcome to the bliss of Mario maining. His edgeguarding pwns hard, no doubt.
Yes do indeed.

Another thing is that cape and Fludd isn't his only edgeguarding tools. He also has Fair, Bair, Reverse Uairs, and even Nair to edgeguard.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Lol true indeed. I'm rarely able to connect with a Fair though. His ground game is okay, but easily predictable to stand evade. I find myself ocassionally using A instead of the C-stick to prolong it slightly at times. The fireballs are just nice in general, nice to use when you're on ur way back recovering also.

I was watching a few of yall video's earlier. Nice stuff, even though a few were probably old. ;D

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
True if the player isn't good then Mario sux. Mario's air game and edge hog game (to me) the best. Try stage spiking your opponent with back air or B up if u can't get him with Mario's normal gimping moves.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Mario's edge guarding is quite overated. Lucas' and Luigi's is where it's at.

Top Bottom