• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Extended Up+B Help

themoocher

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to figure out how to do the extended up+b with mario but dont understand the inputs needed to perform it. When I watch advanced people play Mario, for example Isai in Apex 2013, they always do it. Ive only found one video which shows the difference between the regular up+b and the extended form but doesnt explain the inputs needed very well. Is there anyone that can explain the inputs or has a video explanation? Thank you!

Here is a video example that I was talking about but it gives little info on how to perform the move.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUs91xjRIU
And Isai uses it a lot here for in game examples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyv5UENR7aA

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah, by hitlag I meant in addition of the regular attack. That means a given frame (the one with the hitbox out) lasts 4 frames longer than usual. Since usually it's 1, in total it makes 5. So I don't know if we should say 4 or 5 frames of hitlag...

Concerning Luigi/Mario's UpB, I have only checked for Luigi, but I guess it's the same thing with Mario.

So after doing your UpB on frame 0, you have 5 frames to input away. You can input it anytime you want in this window and for any long you want in this window. Then on frame 6 you must input toward the stage if you don't want him to face the wrong direction. So:
0: UpB
1: Away or not
2: Away or not
3: Away or not
4: Away or not
5: Away or not
6: inside

Provided at least one of the "away or not" was actually away, you'll do the extended UpB. Now I don't know if there are different kinds of extended UpBs, this one sends you higher and more vertically.
What could be a good way is to input your UpB with up-away, then immediately go into. This way, you only have two directions (and not 3, with UpB, away, into). I don't have any controller, but with the keyboard it looks like it's kinda easily doable.

Damn Luigi can easily have his head below the bottom of dreamland and still make it with this UpB.

The Star King

Smash Hero
wow i had no idea this was a thing. so you only have a 1 frame window to push forward?
"Away or not" means it could be forward.

For example could be:

1: Up
2: Backwards
3: Backwards
4: Forward
5: Forward
6: Forward

And you don't have to let go of forward after frame 6 or anything. I mean, basically frame 6 has to be forward, so yeah I guess you could call it a "one frame window" but that makes it sound a lot harder than it actually is.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
"Away or not" means it could be forward.

For example could be:

1: Up
2: Backwards
3: Backwards
4: Forward
5: Forward
6: Forward

And you don't have to let go of forward after frame 6 or anything. I mean, basically frame 6 has to be forward, so yeah I guess you could call it a "one frame window" but that makes it sound a lot harder than it actually is.
thanks i wasnt sure if you could push foreward ahead of time

MCG

Smash Apprentice
Actually I did a few tests and it's even simpler. There is 1 frame of difference between mario and luigi that wasn't mentionned.

Mario:
0. UpB
1. Away with a range along the horizontal axis of at least 59/128 or nothing
2. Away with a range along the horizontal axis of at least 59/128 or nothing
3. Away with a range along the horizontal axis of at least 59/128 or nothing
4. Away with a range along the horizontal axis of at least 59/128 or nothing
5. NOT AWAY. If frame 5 for mario is away, the character will face the wrong direction.

Luigi: It's the same as mario but you have 1 extra frame to input away
0. UpB
1. Away with a range along the horizontal axis of at least 59/128 or nothing
2. Away with a range along the horizontal axis of at least 59/128 or nothing
3. Away with a range along the horizontal axis of at least 59/128 or nothing
4. Away with a range along the horizontal axis of at least 59/128 or nothing
5. Away with a range along the horizontal axis of at least 59/128 or nothing
6. NOT AWAY. If frame 6 for luigi is away, the character will face the wrong direction.

So basically, you can upb (frame 0), push away hard (frame 1), and release the joystick for the rest of the frames as long as you don't input away on the critical frame 5 (or 6 for luigi). You don't HAVE to input inside. If your away is not far enough, you won't get the extended upb.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I tried that and it works, but seemingly only if you're doing it in the same direction you're already facing?

While the way I posted works both ways. Can you confirm this?

Last edited:

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I've been getting this with high consistency once I started doing this:
1. Input up and away
2. Press B
3. Let go when you see Mario frozen (initial part of his Up + B before rising)

I find it easier this way since it's just one swift motion. I had far less consistency when I did this:
1. Input up
2. Press B
3. Input away
4. Input forward

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
You can do

1. Input up and away
2. Press B
3. Input forward

So that it works regardless of which direction you're facing

MCG

Smash Apprentice
I tried that and it works, but seemingly only if you're doing it in the same direction you're already facing?

While the way I posted works both ways. Can you confirm this?
Ok I didn't know you could do a reverse extended up-b. So from what I gather the global observations are these :

Let's assume you're facing right.
If you press left during the critical frame for turnaround (mario 5, luigi 6), you will face left after the upB.
If before that critical frame, you have input in the opposite direction of where you will face after the up-b, you get an extended upB.

E.g. Mario, facing right

UpB, left (which is the opposite of where I'm initially facing), nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing (critical frame = nothing so I'll end up facing right) -> extended upB
UpB, right (which is where I'm already facing), nothing, nothing, nothing, left (critical frame = left, so I'll end up facing left) -> reverse extended upB

I've been getting this with high consistency once I started doing this:
1. Input up and away
2. Press B
3. Let go when you see Mario frozen (initial part of his Up + B before rising)
During your up and away, you need to have enough range along the horizontal axis though. The range of motion of a real N64 stick falls within a circle. If you move the joystick more upward than away, you'll have less range for away and you might miss the extended up-b. Of course, if you use a controller with a square motion, you won't have any problem. And you have to stay up and away for at least 2 frames (1 for the up-b, 1 for the away input).

Last edited:

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I typically input diagonal up and away to get the away input closer to neutral so I don't keep the stick there for too long and change directions.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Update: I found a method that allows me to get this with 99% consistency. When I want to do it, I simply flick the control stick up and away to the notch closest to up and press B. For example, if I was facing right and wanted to do it, I'd flick the control stick to the upper-left-most notch.

This is more reliable than any other method I've done before and it's far easier to do.

Top Bottom