• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario' Dair

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Now i liked both the d air from brawl and from melee. the both did well for combo openers. So what im asking is what one u prefer? i personally liked the D air from brawl a bit more but thats my opinion you?

Louis Drust

Smash Rookie
Now i liked both the d air from brawl and from melee. the both did well for combo openers. So what im asking is what one u prefer? i personally liked the D air from brawl a bit more but thats my opinion you?
I don't have a problem with either of the Dairs, other than the one in Brawl was basically there because of the FLUDD taking over down special. And the FLUDD is the worst.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I don't have a problem with either of the Dairs, other than the one in Brawl was basically there because of the FLUDD taking over down special. And the FLUDD is the worst.
Ah the FLUDD i dunno iv seen some cool thing with it and it pushback seems way better in smash 4.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
The Melee Dair is really much better. Mario's Brawl dair and it's forced yoo-hoo animation takes too long to resolve to realistically lead into a good number of combos. Additionally, I have a sneaking feeling that with L-Cancelling gone, we're going to see auto-cancelled aerials as the next 'fast' way to play the game, and Mario's Brawl dair doesn't lend itself to that either. His combo game flows very naturally from the Melee dair and needs to make a return.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
The Melee Dair is really much better. Mario's Brawl dair and it's forced yoo-hoo animation takes too long to resolve to realistically lead into a good number of combos. Additionally, I have a sneaking feeling that with L-Cancelling gone, we're going to see auto-cancelled aerials as the next 'fast' way to play the game, and Mario's Brawl dair doesn't lend itself to that either. His combo game flows very naturally from the Melee dair and needs to make a return.
from what we seen though. it has not returned. and yeah the melee one was better for comboing but brawls d air was just ********, its hitbox was insane Xd so i can see use for both of them and in the video between megaman and mario the d air dose look faster so comboing might be a plus

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I know that the Melee one was pretty good to use. I can't say I had too many complaints about the Brawl one, it was okay. Though I kind of wanted him to have a Ground Pound as a Down Air, since Mario's had one since Mario 64. I kind of feel like it's a signature move of his. I guess the reason he doesn't have one is that Yoshi and Bowser have some of their own.

Last edited:

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
Additionally, I have a sneaking feeling that with L-Cancelling gone, we're going to see auto-cancelled aerials as the next 'fast' way to play the game, and Mario's Brawl dair doesn't lend itself to that either.
Are you implying L-cancelling was present in Brawl? Because it wasn't. Also, Mario's Melee Dair isn't particularly useful in regards to his combo game either. As a full-hop aerial approach it can lead into up-tilts, but apart from that it's not that relevant to his combo game.

PlamZ

Smash Cadet
I just found out something pretty cool.

When using short-hop down air (Needs to be done quick), the moves finishes just fast enough so that it auto-cancels, making Mario able to follow-up with another move before the opponent comes out of hit-stun.

I have no video card to capture but those with the demo can try it.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I think he also has magnetism towards where foes are going during the move.

How did he follow megaman so high?

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
If you hit shield with the last hitbox of dair, you can throw out a really quick nair, which then autocancels into a free grab if the nair didn't shield poke.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Just saying, none of the stuff that is mentioned is new. Mario always had combos off Dair in Brawl. And his shield pressure was above average with it.

Exact numbers concerning the move would be appreciated though.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
short hop, dodge into someone, dair. You can combo off that and you're invinsible until the dair comes out. Cheap as hell

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
A2Z's right, not much has changed about the Dair. In fact I think not much as changed about Mario at all.

But that just means I don't have to adjust too much to play him. I can be a badass again.. just this time in a better game! :D

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
That is if you can get around those new awful Fireballs...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
On the topic of Fireballs, yeah they're worse for approaching now evidently. But they're still good for limiting your opponent's mobility, and edgeguarding. Also if you have no other options, you can catch landings with them for free damage.

Top Bottom