• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Cape Spike on Robin's Elwind

PGP

Smash Cadet
NNID
samwich42
3DS FC
3093-7123-8190
I think I may have found a way to utilize Mario's cape to spike Robin while he's recovering. Unfortunately, my capture card isn't working but I'lll attempt to describe it. The first hit of Robin's elwind (his up-b) spikes. By caping elwind itself, the green streak actually goes directly up and hits Robin, spiking and killing him instantly. You can do this to the second hit as well, except it will only damage Robin instead of spiking him. It generally helps to try and cape it shortly after Robin input his up-b so that it's guaranteed to hit him. While this may sound a little useless, I've actually has great success using this on Robin players online who most likely weren't aware of this. I apologize if this is common knowledge, hope this helps to improve your success in the matchup!

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Too bad most robin players recover very low. There are probably more effective/safe ways to edgeguard Robin but hey I guess I'll mess around in friendlies with it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Too bad most robin players recover very low. There are probably more effective/safe ways to edgeguard Robin but hey I guess I'll mess around in friendlies with it.
They either recover very low or very high, in my experience.

Spike is funny when it happens, but usually I stick to FLUDD and N-air for edgeguarding Robin, and seeing how he reacts to those.

M@v

Subarashii!
It works. I did this yesterday as well vs a Robin. Also, you can follow Robin low in most cases. Don't underestimate your recovery as Mario!

Last edited:

SuperLuigi9624

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the month-and-a-half bump, (it was near the top anyway) but I actually did this on Mega Man and just passed it off as a glitch.

I mean, my theory was I just cape'd him as soon as he grabbed the edge, and the top-left momentum just turned into down-right momentum and he was DI'ing and just plummeted, but this is completely different.

I guess the cape has some weird spike mechanism.

PGP

Smash Cadet
NNID
samwich42
3DS FC
3093-7123-8190
Sorry for the month-and-a-half bump, (it was near the top anyway) but I actually did this on Mega Man and just passed it off as a glitch.

I mean, my theory was I just cape'd him as soon as he grabbed the edge, and the top-left momentum just turned into down-right momentum and he was DI'ing and just plummeted, but this is completely different.

Do you recall if he had already used his up-b or was using it just as you caped him or other recovery details like that?

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506

C'mon, you had to have saved that replay. I am all for cape shenanigans. On a side note, I've Robin Spiked Mega Man with his own fist before.

SuperLuigi9624

Smash Cadet
C'mon, you had to have saved that replay. I am all for cape shenanigans. On a side note, I've Robin Spiked Mega Man with his own fist before.
Uh, I do have the replay.
Don't remember when I recorded it though, might've been before the update :c

Top Bottom