• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario assistance please

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
hey guys... I have picked up Mario as my main January and I'm alright I guess I just got some vids uploaded so I thought why not ask what I am doing wrong. First, yes I know I cape and tornado way to much i'm working on stopping that. I would like actual responses none of the usual "You run into their attacks" or "More Mindgames" it would be much appreciated...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2zg-99x-Ag (Monk vs Lim3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1vHowLfd9g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86tFFNpE5bk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ1oTOY6rhI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utREkFcWWIY NEW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TADiAn3X5Y NEW! (Monk vs Fred)

edit: I will also be putting more vids here as they get uploaded

mario-man

Smash Lord
Pretty good MHB. In the first match, you seemed to have some good spacing as well as some well executed defensive moves. Try jump cancelling some of your dash grabs, you can reduce lag with it, plus you can grab quicker.

BTW: Nice spike at about 2:35 in the first match. Lol

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Yeah I probably could J-cancel my grabs I just forget(also I never took the time to learn how to =P)... as for the spike...I very rarely do that but when I do it has some amazing setup. Thanks for the input

I also noticed another one of my problems is missed air landings...god...I hate stupid mistakes

mario-man

Smash Lord
J-cancelling is VERY easy. Just dash (or wdash whatever you prefer), then jump and immediately hit Z. It's good to see you man not just on Marthsword's site. Lol

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Marthsword is almost down the drain.... Demon and Marthsword or Pedochu or whatever the hell he wants to call himself are making a new site...with the help of moneys... so yeah...I'll probably start working on J-canceling monday after school

mario-man

Smash Lord
Yeah, I know. Lol
Marthsword, Decide what you want to call yourself. Pedochu?? What in the world kind of name is that anyway? Lol

EDIT *looks at sig* Man, Tappy made me a great sig didn't he. Man I love my sig it's so cool.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
ADVICE:
1. Dont post videos where you lose..
2. Try Jump Cancelling ur throws
3. Nice mario the meteor was fresh!!
4. You could probably beat me because of my spacing im not really good at that

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
we recorded 20 or so vids these are the only ones uploaded and if I post where I lose chances are someone will point out a problem and how is it you live in Georgia and New Jersey? what are you some kind of genious..no...you live in Jersey

(Just kidding lol)

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Alrighty now, I only watched the first match; not out of distaste or anything. I have the dial-up internets ;_;

First, I really have to compliment you on your use of the fireball to edgeguard Ganon; you obviously know its trajectory VERY well. That impressed me. Overall your mario plays decently, but there is a lot you could improve upon.

-Mix up your movement- Wavedash in more ways than just dash forward, WD back. this is a very predictable cycle that is easy for a player to get stuck in I know; (It happens to me too, argh.) but it is easily punished/avoided. Try to use it as a rushing technique and spacing instead of just "mindgames". You could also try WD in seemingly random directions to confuse the opponent. (Do note the "seemingly"; YOU should know where and why you're moving in that direction XD)
Try to learn how to dashdance and perform various actions out of it (WD, SH, grab, etc.) This will keep your opponent confused and guessing.

-Choose your attacks more wisely- Approach more with NAir and less with UAir. Though the UAir can be a good situational approach and auto-cancels, thus allowing you to follow up with a grab, tilt, or DSmash; the NAir has more priority and is overall just harder for the enemy to get around (in most cases anyway) and you can follow up rather similarly with it.
Do the A A A attack less and instead opt for one or two jabs, then grab/tilt,/DSmash this basically allows for you to rack up more sexy combo damage than A A A, especially if your opponent doesn't crouch-cancel very often (which he didn't) and even if he does, as the last hit of that has punishable lag.
The Cape is for recovery, varying falling speed, and reflecting projectiles. Not for turning people around. and the Tornado is just for recovery; unless you're really sexy and can combo with it somehow... but don't try that yet.
Mario's Semi-Wall-of-Pain (repetitively SHFFL'd BAirs) works great on Ganon... he's practically helpless if you start at the proper percentage. BAirs in general work nicely on him.
Find a way to trick him into a grab and DThrow him, he will be *****.

-Watch your opponents movements- Seeing what he is doing is more important than what you are doing. There were several times you got edgeguarded due to simply following through with a set mental pattern. You also could have continued several combos or grabbed him out of whiffed attacks if you had just payed more attention to his movements and not your own. I know this will be hard while still practicing tech skill, but it will eventually be a must. (I'm working on watching my opponent more myself, and it is very difficult to look away from your own movement pattern)

I hate how negative I sound in this, but you wanted a critique, so I tried my hardest to give you the best one I could. You do have some interesting tactics already that I know will only improve as you play more. Keep at mario, I'm sure you'll eventually do great stuff with him.

Also note, I am not an AMAZING player myself, and I am working on fixing a lot of my own tactical and technical errors; so even though I just gave you a gigantor critique, I can basically just see what SHOULD be done... not always do it XD

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Thanks man the info is very much appreciated. I think I'm a possible candidate for "best fireball usage"(or most annoying Mario which ever really) my friends and a few tournament players hate my fireballs (I did 90 dmg to someone with fireballs alone) I know shffled bairs are amazing and I try to do them more but it's hard seeing how I can't SHABAWD yet...the Uairs come from watching Up air'd blind...yes I'm blaming Eggz as a reason why I suck. Like I said before I know I cape/tornado too much it's just a bad habit of mine from playing the computers

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Yep, the fireballs can be an amazing tool if you use them properly; which you do. Here's a tip for the BAirs- If you do them while rising in the short-hop they auto-cancel even when FF'd just like UAirs This simplifies it greatly. Don't do them immediately if you need the extra range of course.
The SHABAWD isn't nessecary for the semi-wall-of-pain, especially against ganon since he weighs so much. Just kick him across the stage and then edgeguard. I think a good percent to start that at is somewhere around 30-40 percent, which is a bit higher than on most characters.

Eggz

Smash Hero
ADVICE:
1. Dont post videos where you lose..
2. Try Jump Cancelling ur throws
3. Nice mario the meteor was fresh!!
4. You could probably beat me because of my spacing im not really good at that
Your first bit of advice fails pretty hard.

You post vids of when you lose if you want critique.

You post vids of when you win when you want people to overestimate you.

You post vids of how matches normally happen when you just want to post vids for the heck of it.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Your first bit of advice fails pretty hard.

You post vids of when you lose if you want critique.

You post vids of when you win when you want people to overestimate you.

You post vids of how matches normally happen when you just want to post vids for the heck of it.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Lol

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Indeed...anyway I just need advice I think i'm pretty good and so do others but when I go to a semi-huge tournament like Twilight Showdown I get 3 stocked by half the people there(No i'm not nervous although Rohins, Phanna, and Shiz do intimidate me). There can't be some unnatural force keeping me from winning I don't know maybe it's just lack of experience but even then thats no excuse...I'll probably have some more videos up within the next week

Twig

Smash Journeyman
OK, i watched the majority of you and your friends videos, and just some overall critque.

Nice mario, u gotta cut down on the triple jab tho, in one of the Link matches he just CC's it and destroys you, or he can hit you out of it after the 3rd hit, all in all, its a bad choice in most situations.

You + your friends never aggressively edgeguard your opponents. You will fireball and attempt to f-smash when they sweetspot, to no avail. I suggest either grabbing the edge for invincibility frames and b-air/n-airing them. Another example is Fred, on the match on greeny greens will just bomb on the platform instead of going out for the n-air or using the up-tilt to hit u.

Yea FaceFaceMcface hit a bunch of the major points, especially in watching your opponents because you are all fairly predictable.

And.. where was the down-air man!!!! D-air to grab = too good.

Needs more f-smash clearly .....

Note- Im a terribly scrubby CC to D-smash mario who overspams the f-smash.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
we do aggressively edge guard sometimes the problem is Clearwater/Dunedin is so small it's basically us three and king of hearts... I do try to edgehog but sometimes I just forget...one more thing I do jab alot I see that, but once again it's a stupid habit I picked up...I know the dair is alright but it's the same with my downsmash I can't seem to work it in that much also whenever I down air it's like I found something new and I want to use it more and I end up dieing alot (Watch one of the link vids).

Yes we are predictable but heres my lame excuse...the advanced techniques have been around for years...Fred, Lime, and myself found out about techniques last August...I started applying them November...but then again thats why i'm so good at throwing fireballs I have had more time learning how to angle shots rather then learning to wavedash

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
You are improving. you implemented wavedashing better even though you still used it in the same manner, so that needs some work. Since you like to dash-wavedash back so much, try running AWAY and then wavedashing back with an f-tilt or F-smash to their face/abdomen/knee/whatever. I just wanted to type face. That is a good tactic to use sometimes though, but not too often.
You have more than two aerials you know, don't underestimate the usefulness of DAir, BAir, and even the more situational FAir.
Still too much rolling around them to attack... though that can be useful against Link I guess, cut down on the abuse of it; they will most likely catch on soon and punish you much ouchums.
Remember to Jab to Tilt, D-smash, or grab more instead of the AAA. Though that can be okay at higher percentages.
Here's a tip on caping bombs so that they don't just explode right in front of you- Cape in the other direction. The bomb will then reflect off your back and return like a normal projectile. If you still want to cape forwards, you have to time it real nice and early so that you've already swung it and just the invisible hitbox is in front of you.

I'm sure most of what I said was a repeat of last time, and stuff I said then probably still applies. Keep at it.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
You are improving.
...I think thats funny right there...that video is from the same day as the others I just make less errors. Like I said i'm not that bad...I just make more errors then normal and currently I'm working on edgeguarding and incorporating Bair and Down Smash into my game...and I just want to say one thing...I don't see whats so great about Mario's Dair... if someone can slap the crap out of me untill I see what makes it so good...it would be much appreciated

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Mario's DAir has more priority than any of your other aerials and works great as a combo breaker when being juggled. It can also be used to start combos or set up a grab when L-canceled properly. I'm personally quite fond of full jump DAir to double jump UAir myself, especially after a down-throw at mid percents, but if you land it by itself its basically a guaranteed combo at any percent.
It isn't as spammable as NAir or UAir, but still very useful.

Well, since it was from the same day, maybe I should have just said "you played better", heh.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Thanks for the advice guys...I know out of all the character communities Mario is one of the smallest...any way Freddy recently uploaded some vids (actual new vids like 3 days ago as opposed to a whole month)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utREkFcWWIY Mario vs Link(I tend to do this match up alot and I know Lime's style quite well)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TADiAn3X5Y Mario vs Ness

...also I have got just about everyone in Clearwater/Dunedin thinking Fireballs are the most dangerous projectile in the game when really it only does 6 damage...

Top Bottom