• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South [Mar 8, 2015] --Chill Tims Big Day Out !--AU City Monthly --- (Auburn, Alabama)

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
This event, CTBDO is my attempt at kickstarting a monthly game tournament series for East Alabama / West Georgia smash players. Events will be streamed via twitch on either Melee Hell's channel or my own. Edited: Frank Brown Rec Center has agreed to let us utilize an activity room! Please inform me of any potential interest in attending this/these event/s while I sort the location out! I'm giving myself a lot of leway time to put this together...I'm thinking March. Also, I wouldn't mind the assistance of anyone who has experience as a TO for the first monthly. I'd like to run two or three of these games, depending on the amount of interest they recieve:
Melee (Personal Priority)
Sm4sh
PM
Mario Kart 64, Double Dash, or 8.
Soul Calibur 2
Whatever Crazy marvel v capcom games those crazy kids are into atm
something else if there's interest.
Winnings: 1st 45% 2nd 30% 3rd 15% Rec Center 10%

<---chill tim. RIP in peace.
Edit/Update 4 Feb 2015: Frank Brown Rec Center is the location. this is the facebook event page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1433030826987771/?source=1

Last edited:

Smoof

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashMastr98
3DS FC
1332-7766-7726
Shoot yeah The Smoof will be there for sure been waiting for another Tournament in Auburn since I went to "Don't Get Rekt" so i'll be looking forward to this one just need to know the Venue and im all good. Can't wait for it

Smoof

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashMastr98
3DS FC
1332-7766-7726
PM and Melee for sure and Sm4sh if possible. I appreciate calling me the Luigi Master btw lol

Ⅾad

Smash Rookie
melee/pm for sure!
also, I can bring some n64s if smash64/mariokart64 are still viable

Ⅾad

Smash Rookie
update:
ive been hyping this event here in montgomery! I'd say at least 8 people want to come for melee so I hope you decide to have it. As for 64, I have one setup and i'd be excited to play smash for it or even help you run a side event for 64 if anyone is interested in playing

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
update:
ive been hyping this event here in montgomery! I'd say at least 8 people want to come for melee so I hope you decide to have it. As for 64, I have one setup and i'd be excited to play smash for it or even help you run a side event for 64 if anyone is interested in playing
Excellent Dad, thank you so much for getting some of the montgomery scene involved. I've heard their scene is lack luster and I'd like nothing more than to play games with them. As for 64..yes please. Especially since you're offering to help run it. And as for Mario Kart 64, I usually play it on virtual console. Does it matter what platform we'd run the game with?

Ⅾad

Smash Rookie
montgomery really only has a handful of smashers. it's upsetting because im having to travel long distances just to play tourneys (besides your event/auburn not being far) so hopefully our community can structure something soon. but anyways you are welcome!

basically my at home n64 setup is:
ssb/mario kart & console
w/ 2 controllers
but a friend is allowing me to borrow an n64 and 2 more controllers so we could run both 64 games at the same time if i could somehow get 2-4 more
controllers. if that's not the case, virtual console sounds fine with me especially since we could use gc controllers.

also pm me once you find a venue and let me know the earliest I should be there etc.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
I currently attend SUSCC @ Wadley, AL/ like 30 ish miles N/NE of auburn. Im there all week so it's been impossible to get with anyone about this. Until today, that is. Extenuating circumstances forced me to make the drive back to Auburn today, and I finally got to talk to the activity director at Frank Brown Rec!She was very easy going and listened to me talk about the games, the scene, my personal life, and ended up asking me about the age demographic. She told me that the rec center doesn't get as many of the younger types as they'd like, and she thinks that this could be a means to attract all sorts of people to the rec center. They ask $40/hour for rental, which I'm afraid isn't feasable.
BUTT.
She told me that she'd talk to her peers about working down the price of the hourly fee since the idea is mutually beneficial. I'm waiting for an e-mail now. With this option a door fee and participants are required, but the facility is bright, clean, friendly, has excellent wi-fi, the room is large, with a credible community figure backing the event. I like the prospect, but there being an hourly fee makes me uncertain. If i had my own place I'd house it myself, but my apartment is a studio and my parents are trying to sell their house and I'm 21 so it's too late to ask them for a favor like this lol. Thoughts on door fee? $5-10 sound reasonable?

Ⅾad

Smash Rookie
I think $5-10 is not bad at all!
the venue sounds great too.
now all we need to do is schedule the games evenly enough that we won't be paying a large fee but still get as many hours in as possible.
I feel like melee or pm being the bigger games would take up an hour each. with the 64 side events, I'd say we could run both games for an hour. there would probably need to be an hour before the events start for warmups/meet & greet and an hour after for friendlies and setup tear-downs.
so if my math is correct, for a 5 hour day and a $5 door fee, we would need 30 attendees to pay the cost of $30/hour or 20 attendees for $20/hour (given they lower the price to one of or similar to these amounts).
but all in all it seems doable, unless we don't have this many entries, but I feel like we have plenty of time to hype this enough to get enough players to come.
what do you think?

Anime

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't really matter how many players come for cost. Less players means it will take less time to run. More players means it will take more time. You just have to emphasize to players coming that they should bring as many setups as possible, and to have tight TOing to make sure the tourney will run as smooth as possible. You could also just work out a deal with her to just have venue fees go to her fullstop and drop the hourly cost in exchange for the venue for the afternoon.

Edit: I should probably mention that I am in Auburn, but not really with the Auburn group. I'll almost definitely come to this, and I could probably get a couple others to come with me. I'll bring a full pm setup as well.

Last edited:

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
I'm not really with the auburn crew either. I got good with them fall 2011 when they all played brawl but i never had a chance to play with them at thier clubs as I worked too often on friday nights. I stopped attending auburn and stopped chilling with them. they're all really into pm now, which is better but my love is really for melee. when i posted this idea up on the AU crew page the majority of them ignored it...most likely because they get their smash rocks off enough and don't need or want a local monthly. i feel that those unaffiliated with the university could really use something like this.anyway...i wouldn't think that an event would take a single hour. HP monthlies run PM/Melee singles and doubles and they run from like 12 or 1 to 9 or 10pm. I don't like this idea, but If the fee doesn't get met perhaps the tournament pot prizes could serve as a cushion the event. i dunno. we're just going to have to wait and see how it goes with the word back from the center/ the first event. also : https://www.facebook.com/groups/817492388311708/

Ⅾad

Smash Rookie
yeah i did haslfest 4 not too long ago and it probably took so long because there were 50+ entrants for each game.
I'll bring my pm setup as well

edit: I requested to join the group, thank you!

Last edited:

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
I've got a green light from the rec center. There will be NO COVER CHARGE, $5 entry for the tournament, and it will be the first sunday of every month. ALTHOUGH the following monthlies will take place on the first sunday of the month, I neglected to check the calender as I scheduled the FIRST monthly to be on the second sunday of the month, the 8th. I understand that this is the same day as Hidden Power monthly Mobile, which is regretable. But yeah, next month won't be on the same day as HP...lol. SO. I'm very excited! tell everyone that smash happens at the auburn rec center once a month now! also what's so cool is that if the attendence ever gets great enough we could request a basketball court indoors if the need ever were to arise!
This event, CTBDO is my attempt at kickstarting a monthly game tournament series for East Alabama / West Georgia smash players. Events will be streamed via twitch on either Melee Hell's channel or my own. I'm in the process of contacting the community center and other venues, in the mean time please inform me of any potential interest in attending this/these event/s while I sort the location out! I'm giving myself a lot of leway time to put this together...I'm thinking March. Also, I wouldn't mind the assistance of anyone who has experience as a TO for the first monthly. I'd like to run two or three of these games, depending on the amount of interest they recieve:
Melee (Personal Priority)
Sm4sh
PM
Mario Kart 64, Double Dash, or 8.
Soul Calibur 2
Whatever Crazy marvel v capcom games those crazy kids are into atm
something else if there's interest.

<---chill tim. RIP in peace.

Last edited:

Smash Rookie
The Troy scene would probably be interested in coming if there's going to for sure be a melee tournament

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
There's no way I'm running a tournament without melee. Please bring your crew dude! :157: bring:201s::201e::201t::201u::201r::201s:please

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Thats rather close to the good ole AUSOM venue. I've no plans for an Auburn trip just yet, but if this ends up being an active thing I'm sure the community around there would be glad to give you a damn good turnout.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Nice a tournament around 2 hours of enterprise. I would be up for this and a few of the melee people I know would be happy to, even though Sunday may cause some problem for them.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
I hope to get up with the Stir Bar in town as well. theres someone who's been running monthly game tournaments there lately. if i can get them to run on the evening of the first sunday of the month then we would have two reliable venues for the entire day without having to use someones house or apartment to play at afterwards (at least for those who don't have to make a long drive back home)

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Just heads up on time. Getting everyone to sign up, waiting for others, and creating brackets will take a good bit of time. Also, make sure you set a deadline for sign up and list it that so people don't think they can come in late and waste your and other people's time.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
12:30 i'll be in the parking lot waiting to enter the rec center. things will be getting set up starting at 1, so by 2 I'd like to be playing games. all events start at the same time.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
Also I'm going to work on finding a new venue. I don't like the time constraints and i'm sure nobody else does either.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
I meant is there a way for me to edit the results? It seems like I don't have the ability to alter the mistaken results. And as for those Kami-con vid's, I'm sorry about not having them up, I live at my school 4 days out of the week and the internet speed here is terrible. When I'm home the other three days out of the week I have access to better internet, but I keep getting work hours piled on me. *sighs* So much jankness, it's making me sad.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
I meant is there a way for me to edit the results? It seems like I don't have the ability to alter the mistaken results. And as for those Kami-con vid's, I'm sorry about not having them up, I live at my school 4 days out of the week and the internet speed here is terrible. When I'm home the other three days out of the week I have access to better internet, but I keep getting work hours piled on me. *sighs* So much jankness, it's making me sad.
If you haven't already made and finalized a results thread, I believe that you can edit results from challonge. The result of this is that all the results after that match have to be resubmitted. Alternatively, you can always make a new challonge bracket from scratch, but that's a super pain.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
If you haven't already made and finalized a results thread, I believe that you can edit results from challonge. The result of this is that all the results after that match have to be resubmitted. Alternatively, you can always make a new challonge bracket from scratch, but that's a super pain.
It's gotta be done. i wish i knew how the matches went though. i don't want to guess at the wins/loses. at that time i wasn't even paying attention. i was handling the payouts and breaking down.

Top Bottom