• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Mar 21, 2015] Toasted Ravs 7 : The Covering House (St. Louis, MO)

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Preregistration ends after Friday, March 13! Please preregister here: http://goo.gl/forms/oCXmnMrBSM

Read below for new policies on Venue Fees, and take note of new venue location!

10AM - Registration
11:00 AM - 1st wave of PM and Melee Pools start
1:00 PM - 2nd wave of PM and Melee Pools start (be ready for 2nd wave 30 minutes early)
2:30 PM - Begin both teams brackets (Or as soon as pools end)
***If you are not in teams, you may leave until your bracket starts, if you make it to bracket.
5-6PM - Dinner Break. If you are entering all events, it is possible teams will go past 5PM, so either bring your own food, or send a friend to go get your food for you.
6PM - Begin both Project M and Melee Brackets
10:00PM - Estimated Grand Finals.
***If you brought a set up, you may leave with set up for $5 refund at this time.
11:00PM - Estimated Finish and clean up time.

Thank you all for your continued support of the Toasted Ravs series. We have two major announcements and changes to this tourney that you need to take note of.

First, we have a new venue, at least for this occasion. It is a building owned by the church that I attend, but it was formerly known as The Luminary. It used to cost about $1,200 to rent for a 6-hour period, but when The Luminary organization left, it became a rarely-used multi-purpose venue to be used at my church's discretion. It comes with a large sound system, a good-sized rear projection screen with a main stage, and a kitchen/bar area in the back. Max occupancy is 200, so expect that to be the registration cap.

Second, and most importantly, this is a charity tournament for the organization, The Covering House http://thecoveringhouse.org/ You can view all their information on their website, but to give you the nutshell, it is a sort of long-term shelter for women who have come out of the sex trafficking industry, prostitution, and other sexually abusive situations. This place gives them refuge from people that might otherwise find them again and bring them back into the sex industry. Unfortunately, this is a widespread problem throughout the US, a huge problem in St. Louis, and worst of all, a very rarely talked-about issue. I didn't believe sex trafficking happened in the US until I discovered The Covering House. So this is a real issue that has enormous effects on our local community, and your money will directly go to The Covering House, in cash, in kind. I am not just picking a charity to donate to for charity's sake, but I sincerely believe that real and gradual progress can be made, and lives can be changed, by our contributions. You can view TCH's informational video on their website to get a firmer idea of what they do. If you find yourself interested in learning more about Sex Trafficking in the US, I found this PBS documentary to be very moving and informative: http://video.pbs.org/video/2365387809/

We will also be holding a raffle. There will be a handful of donated items on a table with jars in front of them. You'll be able to purchase tickets @ $1 each and put your tickets in the jars by the items you would hope to win. Prizes will be drawn towards the end of the night at a time TBD. 100% of that cash will go to The Covering House. I am currently looking for items to fill this table and make it an awesome pull for raffle sales, so please message me if you'd like to donate an item. (suggested ideas: new GC controller, cool new smash/nintendo T-shirts, dazzle or other capture device, copy of melee or another smash game, something homemade...)

Preregistration is open immediately! Do not expect to enter any events at the door if you have not preregistered. You will not be in any events. You are welcome to bring guests, but they must also pay venue fee. Cap at 200.

You can preregister google form style here: http://goo.gl/forms/E5jpiF1UQ5

And you can view the master response document here:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13vZ3cORD2SZTwpTTNDfxpFgjU0EzXIjc2hWHnJuosB0/edit?usp=sharing

The Venue Fee is $10 this time. This will have the donations and stream fees all rolled into 1 fee. Unlike past TR events, the VF will be specifically allocated to the different working parties. You'll also notice that I am paying my specific core planning TO's for their very hard work before and after the tourney. Please understand that they've worked very hard helping me put this all together. So for every $10 fee, this is how the money will break down:

$5 to The Covering House
$2 to Streamers if 2 streams, but $1.50 to NextLevelStreaming if only 1 stream.
$1 to pay TO's. Binyan/Jordan/Brian L/Devin (if only 1 stream, then $1.50)
$2 to donate to Reber Chapel. Although they aren't asking, it would be a courtesy to at least pay for the huge amount of energy we'll be consuming.

**NEW VENUE FEE RULE** If you bring a full setup (CRT + gaming console) we will REFUND $5 of the venue fee at either 10PM or the start of Loser's & Grand Finals. So you will still pay $10 total up front, $5 you will get back later, and the other $5 will go to TCH, not to anything else.

**SETUP CAP IN EFFECT** We will be capping set ups at a number to be based off the final number of entrants. We had so many people bring extra and unused set ups last time that venue fees made very little money (honestly, that's the best problem I could ever ask for in life.) Setups will be taken on a first-come-first-served basis, so in other words, if you want your $5 refund, arrive early (at 10AM) so that you can be sure that your set up will be used.

Registration will open at 10AM again. Pools will begin as soon as you and your pool members are present, or at 11AM.

Please park along the median on Reber street. Church services will be going on Saturday afternoon, and they need all the space they can get.

Rules will be the same as last time. But here they are again:

Fees:
Venue Fee = $10
Melee Doubles = $20/team ($10/person)
Melee Singles = $10
PM Doubles = $20/team ($10/person)
PM Singles = $10

Payouts:
Melee:
1st: 45%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%
5ths: 5%

Project M:
1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%
***Subject to change if turnout is lower than expected

Ruleset for Melee Singles & Doubles:

Double Elimination Style
  • All sets are best of 3 matches except Winner's/Loser's Finals, Semis, and Grand Final sets which are best of 5.
  • 4 stock, 8:00-minute timer
  • Items OFF
  • Friendly Fire ON for doubles
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • Wobbling is legal.
  • Stalling with Jigglypuff's infinite sleep or Peach's Wall Bomber are NOT banned.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action.
  • Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you already won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
  • Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
  • Choosing a character: In the event neither contestant wants to pick their character first, do a double-blind pick using either a neutral 3rd party or a piece of paper.
Stage strike: from the neutral (non-counterpick) stages for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:
  • RPS for first stage ban.
  • First player strikes one stage.
  • Second player strikes the next two stages.
  • First player strikes one stage/picks remaining stage.
Stagelist for Singles:
  • Final Destination
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Dream Land
  • Battlefield
  • Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Stagelist for Doubles:
  • Final Destination
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Dream Land
  • Battlefield
  • Pokemon Stadium

After each match:
  • Winner announces stage ban (no bans in BO5's)
  • Loser chooses counterpick stage
  • Winner chooses their character
  • Loser chooses their character
Project M Rules:

Double Elimination Style
  • All sets are best of 3 matches except Winner's/Loser's Finals, Semis, and Grand Final sets which are best of 5.
  • 4 stock, 8:00-minute timer
  • Items OFF
  • Friendly Fire ON for doubles
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action.
  • Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you already won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
  • Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
  • Choosing a character: In the event neither contestant wants to pick their character first, do a double-blind pick using either a neutral 3rd party or a piece of paper.
Stage strike: from the neutral (non-counterpick) stages for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:
  • RPS for first stage strike.
  • First player strikes one stage.
  • Second player strikes the next two stages.
  • First player strikes one stage/picks remaining stage.
Stagelist for Singles/Doubles:

Starters:
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Dreamland
Counterpicks:
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Yoshi's Island
  • WarioWare, Inc.
  • Final Destination
  • Norfair
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Distant Planet
Each player gets two stage bans after the first game.
Advanced Slob Picking:
Winners Bans stages
Loser picks stage
Winner picks character
Loser picks character

General Gameplay Rules:
  • BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  • Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
  • Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.
  • DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up after their match is called before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
  • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
  • Absolutely no game hacks that affect the actual gameplay. You may use them for friendly setups, but please revert it to normal melee for tournament matches.
You can also view this event on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1383534078624138/

Last edited:

The_Grand_Poobah

Smash Rookie
As it turns out, something came up in my schedule and I can't make the tournament, so if you get more entrants than available places, someone can have my spot.

Top Bottom