• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mandatory random drug testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
Personally, I don't mind it, but in my high school, you have do it for ANY extracurricular activities, not just sports *god forbid the chess team and marching band use steroids* and I see it as a little much sometimes. So all i'm asking is if it is a violation of rights or something that can really help out. By the way, heres your cup.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
I have nothing against random drug testing. There is no violation of rights, as I don't believe it's lawful to do illegal drugs as long as you don't tell anyone. It stops users and potential users, which is definitely a good thing.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Personally, I don't mind it, but in my high school, you have do it for ANY extracurricular activities, not just sports *god forbid the chess team and marching band use steroids* and I see it as a little much sometimes. So all i'm asking is if it is a violation of rights or something that can really help out. By the way, heres your cup.

Well,

Most schools will drug test now if you are suspected of using. This means especially if someone is falling asleep in class. As far as making it mandatory, I have no problem with it. Children and Adolescence who begin using drugs and alcohol are more likely to be substance dependent by the time they are adults.

It is not a civil rights violation in this case because these activities are extra/after school and not required of the student to participate in. If the drug testing acts as a deterant then more schools should adopt this policy for their students.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
But there are some drugs that are subscriptions that are steroids that will show up on the tests. I take one for asthma, and that's why I'm a bit iffy about it.
I'm guessing that you should be able to tell the people testing you that you take asthma before they attempt to test you. If you're taking a drug that's not illigal than hopefully they'll be able to notice which one and everything should be fine.

D

Deleted member

If you don't use drugs then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

/thread.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
As somebody who gets randomly drug tested all the time without ever having been tested positive for drugs, I'm against.

D

Deleted member

As somebody who gets randomly searched at customs all the time without ever smuggling something before, I'm against.

It's for the greater good.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I think many places have random drug testing just for the scare factor. I smoked some not-so-pure stuff at least 4 times last spring but stopped after I started my job since they do random drug testing. The said you could get tested twice in one month, or once in 30 years. That caused me not to want to do it at all anymore and for some people at my job, to never even attempt to try it.

I wasn't addicted at all and was planning to stop cause I rarely did it but my job also encouraged me to stop even faster. Who knows. Maybe random drug testing is to better society and not just the school/work area.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
I fail to see how drug testing the chess club is for the greater good. Unless you have a good and specific reason to do so (customs searching for illicit material, drug testing pro athletes to make sure they don't have an unfair advantage), I don't understand why it should be mandatory.

Or I guess you wouldn't balk if you were strip searched every time you left a store to make sure that you weren't shoplifting. Or urine tested anytime you wanted to drive to make sure that you weren't impaired. Or given a test anytime you wanted to buy something to be sure that you understood how to use it (ace this test or you can't buy those scissors). Sure, each time you would be sure to pass, but why should you be forced to do it?

D

Deleted member

Some things you don't do out of sheer common sense and convenience. Perhaps the chess club is a bit unnecessary, but if you look at it, some might feel standards must be set for all clubs and groups.

I can see football players getting upset that they're drug tested and chess players aren't. You gotta be equal to everyone.

Cast your eye on everyone, not just the jocks who use steroids.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
But we don't need to do it just for sheer political correctness. Let them complain, there is a major difference between steroid use for young athletes and steroid use by chair jocks. Let there be different standards for different clubs because of different needs.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, who the **** cares. I never knew there was a drug to make you smarter at chess. The chess club isn't a major point as I'm sure most chess clubs aren't drug tested.

It sucks for the chess clubs that are tested, sure, but peeing in a cup every once in a while isn't such a big deal. You need to look at the bigger picture here - drug testing is good. It helps weed out the cheaters.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
But that's the point. There aren't any drugs that can make you smarter (short of tweak, which helps you focus), so why are we testing people who don't need to be tested? Because they can? That isn't a good reason. And that only makes it a waste of money and a infringement of people's privacy (they shouldn't need to prove their innocence for no reason) and possibly their rights.

Ophelius

Smash Ace
You know the little sprinkles you had on your ice
But for the people that do the stuff, it isn't proving their innocence, it's being caught in the act. The fact that it invades your privacy is just an inconvenience on your part. Just like physicals that need to be on file before you play any sport. If that doesn't invade your privacy, I don't know what does. It's for the greater good. It makes it so people dont get hurt. There's nothing wrong with that.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Physicals are used to make sure that you are fit enough to play the sport, not to inconvenience you. That is a good reason. Testing the debate club for pot (which does NOT help you in debate) isn't going to "catch him in the act". And you have a right to privacy or you don't know how to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom