• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mandatory Online Rule

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
I was reading the rules to this online tourney here: http://challonge.com/wetakethose2 and I can't help but to smile at one rule in particular:

"In terms of poor connectivity have someone host your game. If the matches are still unplayable at that point it will have to come down to a speed test. Both players would have to submit a picture of the result of their speed test and the player with the faster connection would advance/ get the win."

This should be mandatory in all online tourneys, for many reasons, many obvious reasons, but if you want some.

1: It will prevent a player from winning due to lag making them SD, and Input problems.
2: It will stop some matches from stalling, (That Matrix lag).
3: It will prevent people from lagging on purpose, (This is rare but some people actually do this, it's lame...)

And many more, online tournaments exist to give the player a tournament experience, because they can't travel or don't have the money to travel to a real offline tourney, and online tourneys should give you the best kind of exp, there will always be lag, sure, but no one should have to deal with it constantly from a person entering a tourney knowing he has unplayable connection.

I support this rule a lot, and I think it should be mandatory on all future wifi tourneys.

Raijinken

Smash Master
What happens if both players have garbage connections, or if the issues are on Nintendo's end?

I voluntarily surrendered my first online tournament because my opponent and I simply couldn't connect against each other (other players worked fine). What should be done in cases like that?

Additionally, Speedtest (unless it's compatible with the U's web browser, which I'm not aware of) wouldn't necessarily indicate levels of packet loss, or if you test on a different type of connection (my U and computer are both on ethernet, but some players may have a wired U and a wireless laptop, or a wired desktop and the U on wifi), both of which can influence speeds and playability without showing directly in your connection stats. There's also the matter of wireless interference.

My general thought is that it's really just an unfortunate trait of online play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom