• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making it Big in a Game so Small

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Link to original post: [drupal=1377]Making it Big in a Small Game[/drupal]

I decided to let you guys in on a sport few people know a lot about, paintball. I've been playing for about 5 years now, and love every moment of it. When the ref calls "Game On!", your blood gets pumping and you sprint as far as you can, to the best possible bunker. It's an expensive hobby, and I don't suggest anyone play like I do, you'll be out thousands of dollars if you get into competitive speedball.

The terms?

Speedball: Proffesional level, you play on a rectangular field with inflatable air bunkers. This is extremely strategic, and teams plan ahead specific barriers to hide behind, lanes to shoot, and people to help. There's just so much to this gametype, it's overwhelming.

Scenario: Probably the most strategic of them all. Played in the woods, this is similar to war game, where teams compete in specific objectives. There's tanks, paint grenades, grenade launchers, and snipers. Some people wear camo and ghillie suits to cloak themselves.

Recreational: Beginners, only. Usually played on an open grass field with wooden bunkers.

Now, I think it'd be best if you learned a little more about the sport in general, and my experiences with it. There's many varieties of "markers", they aren't called guns. Companies like Tippman distribute markers like "The Tippman 98' Custom". One of the most durable, reliable, and cheapest starter guns to begin with. Most people that first start out pick this up as their first marker of choice. Some field-owners even rent these out to newbies. Then there are the expensive ones, like the Eclipse Ego, Shocker, and DM series by Dye. These range anywhere from $800 to $2,500. I happen to be good friends with the top players in the world, I met them a few good years ago. I own an 06' Prototype Dynasty Shocker, Brian Cole gave it to me at the 2007 PSP in Orlando, I was stoked. It cost nearly $2,200, and it was one of the best pieces of equipment you could buy. He's done some really nice things for me in the past, and everyone on Dynasty has been a big inspiration to me working on becoming pro.

My shocker looks like this.

I have a second one, that Oliver Lang gave me. He's probably the top player in the world, and the highest paid. This would also be a good time to show you what it actually looks like when you play. Below are a few pictures of Ollie in some national tournaments representing his old team, the Ironmen.

I do own a few paintball jerseys, he even sent a giant gearbag when we were in Tampa for the NPPL. I found so much stuff, autographed T-Shirts, pants, a jersey he used. It was amazing, he had always been the one guy I looked up to, and people that never knew much about paintball often mistaked me for him, because I wore his jersey. It was good for a few laughs.

Here's an overview of one of the fields the pros play on. The common bunkers names are listed below.

Pyramids = Dorito
Large standing tubes = Cans
Small laying-down tubes = The Snake
Center X = The Big X
Pyramid with a square at the top = Temple.
Laid down can = Rollie

If you ever do get into paintball, I'll bet you won't play for long. It takes a lot of money to maintain it as a regular hobby. A case of paint is about $45 for 2,000 balls. Pants are about $100. A pod pack with pods might be around $30. Masks can be as low as 20$, but the really good ones are about $90. Markers range anywhere from $80 to $2,500. The paint is what really ruins it, because it's so expensive. You also need an air tank, which you can buy a scuba tank for $150 and refill your airtank and save hundreds.

I'm trying to work my way up through some state tournaments, and I usually dominate 1v1. But this is a team game. 3-3, 5-5, and 7-7 for the regular tournies. Entry fee is pretty large for high level teams, but the payout is amazing, over 5,000 for large state tournies. I've made a name for myself as one of the best around, but they give me credit for being young. I used to beat some of the regular players when I was 12, but I'm just quick. I'm running out of time, there's just not enough money to continue this expensive hobby. Highest paid player is Oliver Lang, who only makes $100,000 a year. You absolutely have to live off of sponsers, and that requires you to be on a big name team. Few people ever do well, and rely on pooling funds. I have confidence, though. I play on a much higher level than anyone here, I'm sure. I'm encouraging anyone to go out and try it, at least once. People occasionally set up birthday parties at recreation fields, so if you ever get the chance, tag along! You won't regret it!​

D

Deleted member

To raise money for my area's school, the local school held a tournament. It was actually INSIDE the school! It was so cool walking into dark hallways and feeling the suspense when walking into a classroom. I don't honestly play much, so I got destroyed by all the 16 year olds who play weekly.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Seriously? That sounds pretty fun, actually. I'd love to play indoors, especially in a school. They even have paintball scholarships now.

D

Deleted member

In the school was awesome. There are very few windows in it, so it felt like I was storming an underground bunker.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I played casual beginners paintball with a few friends. It was the most exhilarating experience ever. We were gonna try to go every month but we havent been again since the first time. It is so fun.

why the **** is my computer going so slow :mad:

Top Bottom