• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Art Is Like Playing Smash Brothers!

Ogono

Smash Rookie
(I thought of this during the bus trip to class, I had nothing else to do lol. I play Super Smash Brothers competitively. So, I’m just going to use this example but this applies to all competitive games. Note: I don’t mean causal gaming because that’s like causal drawing. Competitive gaming, on a serious level like joining official tournaments, like Apex etc )

There are different mediums in art, and different controllers in super smash brothers. Our knowledge of anatomy, perspective and etc does not disappear working on different mediums like traditional painting, charcoal, pencils, digital arts and etc. Along with Super Smash Brothers with knowledge of tech, frame rates and etc. its various controllers, like the Gamecube, Wii Remote, Wii Remote+ NunChuck, and other contraptions Nintendo comes up with.

When we first do art, people are most comfortable using mediums they’ve grew up using. For example, people may be comfortable with pencil or charcoal. Pencil and charcoal drawing a similar when you get the hang of charcoal. This can be compared to Nintendo’s GameCube controller and the Nintendo Pro Controller. The GameCube controller is pencil because it was the first controller the majority of smash community are comfortable with due to growing up during the booming competitiveSuper Smash Brothers Melee age. Charcoal is the Nintendo Pro Controller it is odd and messy at first but it takes some getting used to.

A major difference in art is being used to charcoal or pencils and stepping into the territory of painting. Artistes may find learning color and controlling brushes to be odd, but it takes consistency and practice. In smash brothers, this is similar to being used to the GameCube controller to stepping into the territory of learning how to play with the Wii Remote.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl, the first smash game I got into competitively, friends and others would be shock and amazed on how I am able to play well with a Wii Remote. Fortunately, since it was my first time playing competitively during the Brawl age. I’ve gotten used to not having a GameCube controller and the thought of playing with one at the time felt odd, and I myself didn’t understand how people played well with it.

We compare ourselves to other people, compare old drawings to whatever new medium, have expectations, devalue ourselves to the point we don’t try and enjoy art anymore--We have no business doing so. We’ve grown up from different walks of life and different experiences. We shouldn’t go into learning different mediums with a failure mindset because all of our previous knowledge in art have not left us. We should ask others who are better in a medium their advice. For example, not used to painting? Ask an experienced person the tips and tricks on how to use and control a brush or else both parties will not benefit. One might’ve learned a trick from the experienced person that might’ve skyrocketed your paintings and the other person might’ve enhance his/her teaching abilities.

The same goes for learning how to use a different controller for smash brothers, people used to a GameCube controller may want to learn how to use a Wii Remote or Wii Remote+NunChuck for competitive play(For some odd reason). One shouldn’t compare themselves, have expectations, and devalue themselves learning how to play with a Wii Remote+NunChuck, one already has the knowledge of the game within them, just learning a different controller (medium). In the competitive Smash community to get better, people do not have expectations, but enjoy the process. We learn from each other and some people that play well are respected. Sometimes, devalued by people who play causally or competitively for spamming but little do they know, IT IS TACTICAL SPAMMING LOL (this goes for my duck hunt mains). Usually, top competitive players or competitive players in general are kind, smug, great teachers or all three characteristics put into one-- everyday folks, the same with the art community. In the process, if we’re passionate about learning a different controller or mastering all of the controllers--for some odd reason, we’re not tensed or devaluing ourselves because we already have the knowledge of tech, zoning, reading, or any other smash terminology and for artistes they already have the knowledge of anatomy, perspectives at this point gamers and artistes are having “fun”.

You see, fun is key to getting good at art or smash, and with that “fun” of constantly learning and doing art or playing smash comes experience-- to be an great smash player or great artist. So, you say you don’t like Smash Brothers? Prefer competitive league of legends or street fighter? Go play that! Art translation: So, you don’t like drawing but prefer sculpting? Go play that!

People excel if they’re having fun. Some gamers like all genres, and others having fun with one. Some artistes have fun with all genres of art, and others have fun with one. Unfortunately, people doing art can grow to hate it, as a whole: when one genre of art isn’t their passion. Like having to take a sculpting or math (a requirement for a degree) while your passion lies in painting.

Gaming translation: Like, having to play street fighter or league of legends (requirement for a… oh wait there are no competitive gaming degrees) while your passion lies in smash brothers. This could cause a person hate art or gaming in general being forced to learn or play genre of non-interest.

Think of it this way, if society took smash brothers as serious as art, medicine or any other subject. Some people will end up hating it, being forced to memorize frame rates, smash terms, the history of each smash brothers character for the super smash brothers regions/ final exam or writing a 10 page essays on ZeRo’s scarf, Mew2King, Leffen or etc. (Top Players in Smash), having to memorize the dates Masahiro Sakurai, the smash brothers game creator, was born. Perhaps, you had one of those parents that would beat for not memorizing the year a president was elected. Now, what if a parent beat for not being able to memorize Mew2King’s birthday. You will certainly know it, but end up associating smash brothers with fear and may want to play guitar hero instead.

I mean, I don’t need to know ZeRo’s entire life story to get good at a smash game or Leonardo’s entire life story to get good in art. To get good at smash, people should look at top level play from ZeRo or others and to get good, in art people should look at top level artworks from Leonardo and others, the life stories are extras.

If our society did take smash brothers serious, we’d have a Super Smash Brothers Major. People like ZeRo or Mew2King would be idolized like geniuses on par with Albert Einstein or Isaac Newton lol. (IQ-test is based upon society’s standards, and doesn’t take into consideration the other forms of smarts—this issue is for another topic). You see, passion and fun is what builds a genius that is what people were like as children, before society’s programs were downloaded onto us. Dr. Michio Kaku quotes “All kids are born geniuses, but are crushed by society itself.” Just watch this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=LelNYq…; I’d like to see Albert Einstein pull some hard reads or DACUS across the stage in smash brothers, but he isn’t interested his passion is in science. If he were interested, he’d a casual smash player. Unless, he wants to stop science or do both. Naaah, he won’t be interested. But you get my point?

Drawing realism is similar to playing Smash Brothers Melee because it’s a fast-pace technical game out of all of the smash games and with the technical knowledge of Melee that could give one the advantage over the slow-playing Brawl or onwards smash games to players starting out with Brawl or Smash4. Brawl is similar to drawing anime and manga, it is a different style of art but it is strengthened when knowing the fundamentals of realism ( Smash Brothers Melee). Sometimes we get great Smash players that never touched Smash Brothers Melee and an anime/manga artist that never touched realism.

In art, we have people that understands anatomy, but lacks an understanding of backgrounds. The other person understands backgrounds and lacks an understanding in anatomy. We should share our knowledge and once it is shared practice it yourself, until it is perfected. In smash brothers we have a various selection of characters, one person can main Mario and the other Peach. The Mario player lacks an understanding of playing Peach but he/she is interested in learning; hence, he/she asks advice on Peach to better his/her’s Peach play and vice-versa.

:) My Art Place Thing: http://ogono.deviantart.com/

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
This was excellent! Brilliantly constructed. You make some very true comparisons about a game we all know and love and you draw on some pretty significant flaws of human nature. Still this comparative holds true and the gap between profession and enjoyment can be bridged. Anyway, good post nonetheless. Really got me thinking now...and I feel like the aspect of learning is the same for playing smash and making art?

Last edited:

Ogono

Smash Rookie
This was excellent! Brilliantly constructed. You make some very true comparisons about a game we all know and love and you draw on some pretty significant flaws of human nature. Still this comparative holds true and the gap between profession and enjoyment can be bridged. Anyway, good post nonetheless. Really got me thinking now...and I feel like the aspect of learning is the same for playing smash and making art?
I just wanted to state how competitive gaming is just as equal to anything "professional" I feel humans have been misguided from their true nature having to live in an already flawed society. Yes, the same goes for learning in general. People excel in something they have passion in--like math if it floats their boat lol That's the issue with school or college, we take classes that we aren't passionate about or not even necessary like a art major required to take a science class. Plus, this science has been stuff down our thorats for the past years in middle- to high school and now we have an option to continue taking the same science learned in middle or high or a completely different science(like anatomy which could go towards enhancing a person's art). A cool class for an art major, but my college doesn't have it lol. Sometimes people may want to take a general science class(for an easy pass or you some how got interested in it now and not when you were in middle/high school to get some world building ideas for a story) , or sociology class(to understand how people work for better storytelling.) I'm a aspiring comic artist so this just applies to me. If I were going into computer science or anything else. I'd soooooooo be miserable lol. Misery isn't the path people should take, eventually its going to lead to tons of stress, suicide (maybe), people taking out their anger on others being seen as pricks, even though its a lot more complicated then that. ANYWAY, I don't want to go on a tangent talking about something else completely different. There's been so much conditioning on people. its hard(not impossible) for a dramatic change

Top Bottom