• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Progress Master Hand & Crazy Hand Improvements Project

abysspartyy

Smash Cadet
Master Hand and Crazy Hand in Melee are the weakest iteration in the entire Super Smash Bros. series. Most of their moves feel unfinished; they don't connect properly, are extremely telegraphed and they are super slow. I aim to fix these problems with the use of Gecko codes and I will be sharing them in this thread post.

Updates
Code Task List
  1. Smooth Movement (no lerp)
    • Goal: provide a way to disable lerp for movement which should emulate how the hands move in Brawl
  2. Attack From Spot (select moves only)
    • Goal: instead of moving to the spot before attacking, make it so that most moves can be executed immediately from where the hands are currently positioned (example move: airplane startup)
      • Selected moves: laser and drill
  3. Individual Move Enhancements
    • Tagtsukamu
      • Goal: restore the unused 4th combination attack (see: YouTube)
    • Harau (swipe attack)
      • Goal: fix the swipe movements
    • Hippataku (slap attack)
      • Goal: make it target the player based on their current height
    • Okupunch (bg punch attack) & Airplane
      • Goal: follow the player on both the horizontal & vertical plane
    • Yubibomb
      • Goal: slowly move towards the player
    • Gun
      • Goal: rotate and point towards the player like in Smash Ultimate
    • Paatsubusu (Punch fake-out slap down)
      • Goal: Make it use Gootsubusuup & Gootsubusuwait animations and subaction logic
        • Skip to approximately frame 93 of Paatsubusu when switching from Gootsubusuwait
  4. Adjust Parameters Based on CPU Level
    • Goal: certain parameters such as speed of movement should be set based on the CPU level
      • Example: level 9 CPU should target the player faster
  5. Free Movement
    • Goal: when the hands are controlled by a player, the player can move and attack around freely without being restricted to the side of the stage
Demo Codes

If you would like to try out the mod in its current state, head over to the GitHub and apply only the $MH/CH Improvements gecko code in the usual manner either through MCM or your preferred method.

Note for MCM: as of right now, this code has to be installed as a Gecko Code and is not compatible as a DOL mod.

$MH/CH Improvements [sushie] GitHub

WIP Source Code

improvementmod folder

Big thanks to Punkline Punkline and his punkpc library for the amount of extensions it has for making ASM writing less painful

Last edited:

abysspartyy

Smash Cadet

Showcasing the mod with 100 multi-man melee. It's still a work-in-progress. I will update the main thread with changes in the upcoming days.

Edit: also mushroom kingdom

Last edited:

abysspartyy

Smash Cadet
Been working on adding support for Crazy Hand. I added collision support for all of the moves but I still need to adjust ECB bones so that the hands don't clip through the stages.

Enabled movement with grabs

Spider Walk

For Crazy Hand's spider move, he will keep walking if you hold a certain button (L trigger in the video below). Let go of the button and he stops walking.

Last edited:

abysspartyy

Smash Cadet
I decided to shift the project's focus from implementing only free movement to overall improvements to the hands in Melee. My main goal for this project is to fix up all aspects of the hands to make them comparable to how they are in the later smash games. Free movement is still a goal in this project but it is no longer the main focus. I've updated the main thread with more defined goals on what is needed to be done to improve the hands to make them viable boss characters.

Here is an old update video that shows the punch down move for Crazy Hand that will eventually be incorporated in the project:

Last edited:

abysspartyy

Smash Cadet
Smooth Movement

Whenever Master Hand or Crazy Hand moves to attack or follows a player, it used linear interpolation (lerp) to reach its destination. The further the hand was to its destination, the faster it will move and the closer the hand was to its destination, the slower it will move towards the destination. This caused the huge delay before performing an attack. What I did was disable lerp and made it move at a constant speed towards the destination, disregarding distance. This is how the hands move in the later Smash games.

Harauloop (swipe attack)

Movement has been modified to how it was in Brawl.

Before:

After:

Last edited:

abysspartyy

Smash Cadet
Paatsubusu (Punch Fake-out slap)

For some reason, this move feels very incomplete in Melee. It is similar to gootsubusu (punch down) but it lacks the 2 other subactions for waiting and following players. This results in the move being unable to reach players even from a short distance.

I noticed in the newer games, MH & CH would reuse the same waiting and targeting logic as gootsubusu (punch down) and so I patched most of the functions to do the same thing.

Demo Code

Added a link to the demo mod/gecko code and its source code in the main thread. Updates will constantly be posted at GitHub if you want to test out this mod in its current form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom