• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

maining roy

djmath

Smash Apprentice
I'm currently a marth main with a pocket falco and falcon, but there's something about roy's charm that's inescapable. Everyone gets excited when they see a low tier character and I really like the way roy feels; he's the cooler, edgier, worse marth. I'm torn between having disjointed hitboxes and being a fastfaller, and unfortunately the combination of the two is relatively low on the tier list.

I just finished reading the "fear the fire" guide and my roy is decent, but I was wondering what tips people have for practicing alone and with other people so I can actually start taking roy seriously. Are there any roy specific tech skills or options or 50/50 situations that I need to know about? I'm mostly just looking for more resources

SebastianPhoton

Smash Cadet
:roymelee:practice chaining fair and down tilt, ledgehop nairs where you get both hits, dashdance forwardb mix up the different forward bs you do, practice your movement and shffls alot roy is weak so you have to make up for it with speed : |

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
Fthrow tech chases and that "marth specific" (not at all) tech like pivot tilts/smashes make Roy infinitely better and should be probably be considered mandatory if you really want to take him seriously. Just as a note pivot dtilt is a pain, pivot utilt is doable, and pivot ftilt is pretty easy one you get the hang of it. One of the virtues of the pivots is that they seem to be the same timing, or nearly the same, for every character so it really does open some new options across the cast (especially since you play marth).

Last edited:
Top Bottom