• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Main reason people feel bayonetta is toxic for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
Alright to start off here is my stance on the bayonetta drama.

1) No, she should not be banned.
2) Yes, she should be nerfed, but I don't know the best way to go about that.
3) She is beatable, absolutely.
4) She is the best character currently in the game, until patches arrive or discovered tech/strategy is discovered to consistently deal with her.

Having said that, here is my main point. I'm going to try to clarify in words what I think the problem people are having about Bayonetta. This sounds like a Bayonetta rant, but it is more trying to reach an understanding as to why people may find playing against her unenjoyable.

Nintendo made a huge blunder with this character. The reason why is because her design is based off taking away the most important and fun aspect of the game Interactivity.

In game design, one of the most important aspects is too have a lot of interactivity. Players exchanging information, making decisions based off of what the other player chose to do, etc.

This is the key in Smash 4. It is a game where small exchanges happen back and forth. Reads are made, baits are made, punishes, etc. Until stocks are lost. It is the main strength of this game. It is the thing that differentiates this game from Melee (Interaction is important there too, but not as pivotal as it is in Smash 4.)

Bayonetta takes away interactivity, here are the ways how.

1) Witch time: when you go to interact with your opponent, instead you are welcomed with a slow-mo film about your death. You wait 3 seconds to see your character die. And you can do nothing about it. I know the argument about baiting counters by charging smash attacks or grabbing, the problem is you can't attempt to read anything else without risk of losing your stock. Normal counters aren't really an issue unless you are already at fairly high percent. So taking risks and trying to make reads is more or less not worth the effort against her.

2) Her combo game. If you get hit with literally anything you get to watch a 6-10 second cutscene of you character getting bodied. You can do nothing. You can try to smash DI, but if the bayonetta player has you dead on or reads your DI, your are losing a stock or at least going 0-50%.

3) Her general playstyle. She is a bait and punish character. She has an answer to your approaches, no matter what they are. Even if she goofs up several times and you get a couple of punishes in, all it takes is one hit from her and suddenly the game is even. Approaching is too risky. You have to play bait and punish yourself. At which point it is in no ones interest to even make an attack or even play the damn game. The optimum way to play against bayonetta is too have a freaking starring contest with her. Interactivity gone.

This is why she doesn't feel like a smash character. She defies the interactivity of the game. Is she beatable? Sure. But the main problem that this lack of interactivity will cause is one nobody seems to talk about yet. It comes down to the low and mid level players. Those players are the bread and butter of the Smash community. Elitists love to call these players scrubs or noobs or whatever, but without them (they comprise 99.9% of the playerbase.) then smash 4 would be nothing more than a niche game a couple of basement dwellers might play on a weekend. Those players are going to feel like they can't play the game at all anymore, since their ability to interact is pretty much nil.

In fact, it is the lower mid level player base that decided that brawl was lame and very flawed due to unbalance (...and tripping.) and it became a niche game that is about to completely disappear in obscurity. Even then, many die hards still play and nobody cares about it. Brawl didn't die due to lack of interactivity, but I'm just stating that the main playerbase is low-mid level competitors and they have alot more influence as a whole than top level players.

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
This again? Sigh.

Anyways, since you're talking about the lower mid level player base, I feel as if all these points are moot.

You can DI out of her combos. Even then, her combos aren't easy to do.

Witch Time stales like hell after one use. Even tournament players can't land every Witch Time they want to, I don't see how mid level players could. Even if they land it, attacks clank with eachother and sometimes you don't know what you should do. Or it just doesn't work.

She's a difficult character with defined weaknesses.

I'm actually glad you brought up the point that "99.9%" of the playerbase of Smash are lower mid level players. If this group is the clear majority, why should she be balanced on a tournament setting?

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Ok, only read the TL;DR as I don't want to deal with yet another discussion about this, but I'm pretty sure the way the game is supposed to be played is with items on, 4 players Free For All, on any stage.
So yeah, that argument is 100% invalid....

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
I do think she is a problem but this is getting out of hand we should be focused on how to beat her we can just sit and wait for a patch but one day nothing going to be there to save ous so if the day comes we should be prepared

Last edited:

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
Once again, not a Bayonetta should be banned type of thread.

The point of this thread is to attempt to explain, in terms of game design theory, why Bayonetta could be harmful to the competitive scene. And yes, Low-Mid level players are rampant in every scene, Smash needs to continue to grow as a community, we need these type of players and new players to continue to make this game matter. But in order for the game to continue to grow it needs to continue to be fun. Makiing a character based off of lack of interactivity is the opposite of this.

This is not Bayonetta is too Stronk thread #257.

In retrospect, maybe should not have made a TL;DR section.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Once again, not a Bayonetta should be banned type of thread.

The point of this thread is to attempt to explain, in terms of game design theory, why Bayonetta could be harmful to the competitive scene. And yes, Low-Mid level players are rampant in every scene, Smash needs to continue to grow as a community, we need these type of players and new players to continue to make this game matter. But in order for the game to continue to grow it needs to continue to be fun. Makiing a character based off of lack of interactivity is the opposite of this.

This is not Bayonetta is too Stronk thread #257.

In retrospect, maybe should not have made a TL;DR section.
Oops the reason she harmful is because the ease she takes to play and the reward you get personally I think anything that evolves zero to death should be removed no matter how hard it is to pull of not only that but she's just sucks the fun out of playing she not brawl MK level annoying but it very well could come to that only time can tell for now

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Honestly all her 0 to deaths would be gone if they forced her to finish her Fair(pressing B would move to Fair 2 rather than comboing into ABK )

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
But what if your not jiggly(pray for puff)
Many of the same tricks still work. Patience and quick reactions. DABK is safe on shield, yes, but it's not safe on spot dodge(puff can get a rest off in that situation too, others can get a grab/tilt/maybe a smash depending on situation). Jab combo is not safe on shield, the.... second? hit has no shield stun so you can punish. Bayo gets little off a grab.

If you get caught in the combo and aren't puff, as mentioned, it's possible to DI/SDI to safety(and watching xanadu finals last night, saw that happen a lot). obviously the easiest way to beat bayo is to counterpick a secondary that has a strong, or even good, MU against her. they exist. But really, just looking past her good combos(which sheik and ZSS had) you can see all her flaws and learn how to beat her. I can beat Bayo mains at the monthlies I attend with Puff and Toon Link, it's not that hard. Sheik was harder to beat, Rosa is still harder to beat.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Many of the same tricks still work. Patience and quick reactions. DABK is safe on shield, yes, but it's not safe on spot dodge(puff can get a rest off in that situation too, others can get a grab/tilt/maybe a smash depending on situation). Jab combo is not safe on shield, the.... second? hit has no shield stun so you can punish. Bayo gets little off a grab.

If you get caught in the combo and aren't puff, as mentioned, it's possible to DI/SDI to safety(and watching xanadu finals last night, saw that happen a lot). obviously the easiest way to beat bayo is to counterpick a secondary that has a strong, or even good, MU against her. they exist. But really, just looking past her good combos(which sheik and ZSS had) you can see all her flaws and learn how to beat her. I can beat Bayo mains at the monthlies I attend with Puff and Toon Link, it's not that hard. Sheik was harder to beat, Rosa is still harder to beat.
Oh she was never a problem for me thanks for the advice anyway I actually like shiek now she's extremely fun and Rosa is Luma lol puff is a really under rated character I would love to play as her but she's way to slow for my liking and I think Sakurai hates her

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Oh she was never a problem for me thanks for the advice anyway I actually like shiek now she's extremely fun and Rosa is Luma lol puff is a really under rated character I would love to play as her but she's way to slow for my liking and I think Sakurai hates her
Well, general advice is still there for others too. And yeah, I'm pretty much sticking with puff out of loyalty to the character. Honestly I think it's less sakurai hates her and more they're terrified of making her too good.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Well, general advice is still there for others too. And yeah, I'm pretty much sticking with puff out of loyalty to the character. Honestly I think it's less sakurai hates her and more they're terrified of making her too good.
Jiggly puff is like little mac in the air except a little better half her moves are just really not worth it and her moves are really laggy she has no grab game and no kill throw really a kill throw and speed buff would make her really a threat

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Ok, only read the TL;DR as I don't want to deal with yet another discussion about this, but I'm pretty sure the way the game is supposed to be played is with items on, 4 players Free For All, on any stage.
care to provide evidence on that

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
No, I'm not kidding you because the burden of proof is upon your shoulders and you have yet to remove it.

D

Deleted member

hi lancerstaff

Last edited by a moderator:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Alright, I was about to merge this thread with the running "Should Bayo be banned?" one, but this clearly derailed and doesn't seem to fill any purpose anymore, so, I'm closing it.
:196:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom