• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luma inconsistency?

Keytrun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keytrun
3DS FC
1908-0553-7302
I feel like sometimes Luma does things I'm not telling it to do. Is that the case? Does Luma move when you jump? Is there a really comprehensive list somewhere of Luma control commands?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I'm sure it's in one of the guides somewhere, but I'll try to post a short list of how Luma does things. For the most part, all of what Luma does is related to what you're doing ( with a little splash of randomness in some cases ).

- Tethered to Rosa, Luma's movement is directly related to yours, and if separated, it will speed towards you once it possibly can.

Seperated:

- If left alone for a few moments, it will return to a set distance in front of you and wait. After a few more moments, it will wander a bit in both directions.

- If over the edge, it will attempt to return to you with its three jumps. After exhausting these, it will begin to fall. It should be noted you can save it from this by calling it back.

- If you are above Luma, it will tend ( usually ) jump. It seems to always jump immediately after a Luma Shot, so it's likely similar to the idle wandering where it becomes increasingly less consistent the longer you leave it alone.

- If Luma is untethered, and you get close to it and use Launch Star, you can fling Luma quite a distance as it seems to keep momentum even after you slow down ( Just discovered this now while I was confirming all this stuff. Now to edgeguard someone with it... ).

You can also generally control it's movement with some attacks when separated:

- Down air moves Luma slightly down

- Up air moves Luma slightly up

- Jab ( Non rapid version ) moves Luma slightly forward

- F tilt changes Luma's facing direction ( in addition to up / down tilt. Thanks ArcticWolf! )

If I forgot anything, I'm sure other Rosalina players will fill in the gaps. ^^

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
She's not the greatest at combos when it comes down to it. A lot of her playstyle is just floating in at an angle where her attacks always beats her opponent's option and pressuring that way. Often just trying to keep them in the air as long as possible is your best bet. However, once you can predict where your Luma will be at any given time during a string, assuming it was sent out already, you can kinda knock them in its general direction and try for followups that way ( With all its random behavior though, this is mostly wishful thinking ).

Just keep playing the character online, try for followups after everything, and try and get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Oh, and that guide doesn't stress it enough, using a luma attack right before you land is insanely good. If there's one thing you learn how to do, let this be it. Against a lot of people, they will drop their shields the moment they think you don't have enough time to use an aerial before landing, and even if they don't, it's literally a lagless move that lets you poke their shield for free ( You can then either grab, or just continue to do it until it works ).

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Y'know what, I'll just send a PM to you and we can talk about a bunch of Rosalina stuff there. Give me a few minutes though, I'm multitasking quite a few things at the moment.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm sure it's in one of the guides somewhere, but I'll try to post a short list of how Luma does things. For the most part, all of what Luma does is related to what you're doing ( with a little splash of randomness in some cases ).

- Tethered to Rosa, Luma's movement is directly related to yours, and if separated, it will speed towards you once it possibly can.

Seperated:

- If left alone for a few moments, it will return to a set distance in front of you and wait. After a few more moments, it will wander a bit in both directions.

- If over the edge, it will attempt to return to you with its three jumps. After exhausting these, it will begin to fall. It should be noted you can save it from this by calling it back.

- If you are above Luma, it will tend ( usually ) jump. It seems to always jump immediately after a Luma Shot, so it's likely similar to the idle wandering where it becomes increasingly less consistent the longer you leave it alone.

- If Luma is untethered, and you get close to it and use Launch Star, you can fling Luma quite a distance as it seems to keep momentum even after you slow down ( Just discovered this now while I was confirming all this stuff. Now to edgeguard someone with it... ).

You can also generally control it's movement with some attacks when separated:

- Down air moves Luma slightly down

- Up air moves Luma slightly up

- Jab ( Non rapid version ) moves Luma slightly forward

- F tilt changes Luma's facing direction

If I forgot anything, I'm sure other Rosalina players will fill in the gaps. ^^
To add to this, D-Tilt, U-Tilt and F-Smash also change the direction Luma is facing.

Keytrun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keytrun
3DS FC
1908-0553-7302
Does anyone know how to get this to work?:

Bordercancelling

Requirements: Rosalina & Luma are on Deux stance.

Usefulness: 8/10

How to perform:

Step 1: Grab a ledge.
Step 2: Perform a ledgejump (by tapping the jump button)
Step 3: Input the command for any aerial of special move.

How does it look: Rosalina ledgejumps while commanding Luma to perform whichever attack she wants.

Effect: Massive edgeguarding potential. As soon as Rosalina's hands let go off the ledge, you can perform ANY aerial or ANY special, even Launch Star. This is especially useful for one simple reason: Luma stays at ledge level, even a little bit lower. It can only mean one thing: infinite gimping possibilities. Ledgejump Bair is very useful since Rosalina will attack very high but Luma will perform her Bair just at ledge level. Uair is great because it comes out extremely fast, allowing you to quickly juggle the opponent. Dair falls a little bit behind because most characters will sweetspot the ledge before Luma can hit them, but it can be used sometimes. Fair can help you get rid of the enemy if he's standing near the ledge (which he most likely will). Nair is kinda meh in this situation, but don't underestimate it. The best special attacks you can perform from this position are Luma Shot and Star Bits. Luma Shot rams right into the enemy in front of you and it comes out really, really fast (believe me). Star Bits can be used to rack a little more damage on a returning enemy as well as momentum canceling your ascension, which can be used for mindgames. Excellent move that aids you on your recovery and gimps the opponent's. Use it a lot, it will help you improve your edgegame.

Its from this guide: http://smashboards.com/guides/the-stellar-waltzing-duo-rosalina-luma.64/

When I jump from the ledge luna comes with me instead of staying there like the guide says. Maybe they patched it?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Not sure if that guide was updated with the patch, but something similar is definitely still possible. What I've done is ledge jump down air, which will move Luma slightly downward, then proceed to edgeguard with backairs, as the separation between Rosa and Luma is really noticeable after doing this. Not sure if the Luma actually starts off a bit lower, or if it's just the little movement from the d-air, but it's definitely something worth doing.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've noticed that Luma sometimes will not come back after I call him, even after multiple tries, and when he is not in tumble.

I have no idea why. It seems like a processing issue.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I've noticed that Luma sometimes will not come back after I call him, even after multiple tries, and when he is not in tumble.

I have no idea why. It seems like a processing issue.
I know that happens when you're hit while he is coming back, but I've also seen times where it ignores the return order for no reason. Go figure.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that happens when you're hit while he is coming back, but I've also seen times where it ignores the return order for no reason. Go figure.
You must also remember that whenever Rosalina heals herself, the Luma will be desynced for a moment, and calling it back does nothing.

Keytrun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keytrun
3DS FC
1908-0553-7302
Heals herself? Wha?

Also for the aerial cancel lunar landing thing, can you all do that while quick falling? I feel like quick falling is more difficult on Rosaluma than other characters. Do you hit down once? Twice?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Heals herself? Wha?

Also for the aerial cancel lunar landing thing, can you all do that while quick falling? I feel like quick falling is more difficult on Rosaluma than other characters. Do you hit down once? Twice?
Heals herself as in eats a healing item.

Keytrun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keytrun
3DS FC
1908-0553-7302
Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
It is somewhat obscure, but you can get a healing item from interrupting PAC man's side b, and it would be even more obscure to make use of Luma's pause when consuming it.

The "lunar landing" thing takes quite a bit of practice to consistently do while fast falling. I'd suggest doing it in training mode until it works more often than not.

Personally, I'm stuck using the game pad for the moment, but I'm sure you are best off just selecting controls comfortable for you.

Keytrun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keytrun
3DS FC
1908-0553-7302
Also when in training mode luna wont attack on the way back to me after being called. Luna will attack when on the way back to me in a fight though. Any ideas?

Top Bottom