• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luma Facing and Grab Escapes

Claire Redfield

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lara_Redfield
Does anyone have some tips for just how to space and face Luma effectively? I have a bit of trouble getting opponents pinned between Rosa and Luma, although I usually end up doing pretty well at managing two opponents with Luma separated. I also seem to struggle a bit with getting Luma turned to face an opponent while she's out, or turned away to face an opponent on either side. Still, even the limited success I've had has been very promising. Rosalina is a lot of fun to play and quite potent when she's working well.

Oh, grab escapes were the others. What's the best way to get out of one? I tend to spam Star Bits when the opponent is focused on me and Luma is separated, since it's really good at disrupting things. I know Luma can attack while I'm doing other things, so I'm curious about the best way to handle that.

Regarding being grabbed, Luma can only execute standard attacks in that situation, so spamming star bits wont help if youre already grabbed.

Luma turns around to face the direction youre facing and will eventually float to be in front of Rosalina, so of example to get opponents between your and Lumas jab, send luma out, turn around, and turn around again and jab. Alternatively, if you send Luma out far enough, itll turn around to float closer to you if you dont attack. Jabbing while it's floating towards you will also work.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
In my experience, luma will usually turn to face Rosalina after being sent out after about 3 seconds ( give or take, never tested to find the exact number). Using a forward facing attack before this time will reset the timer. Of course, you can use tilts ( up / side are based on your current facing, down dilt can be done manually with down left / down right ) or smashes to manually adjust the facing. Passed that it falls under what aegislash said, and comes from practice with the character.

( forgive any typos, typed on phone :/ )

Right, I forgot to mention that you can turn luma around with tilts and smashes, though atm I dont remember whether or not that works while incapacitated

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Right, I forgot to mention that you can turn luma around with tilts and smashes, though atm I dont remember whether or not that works while incapacitated
Just tested and yup, you can change directions with all standing tilts while being grabbed. Someone really should make a giant list of all the ways you can control Luma, and then sticky it. There are so many threads popping up with questions on how exactly it works, that it would save everyone a lot of time to have one big mega thread for it.

Oh and @ Claire Redfield Claire Redfield , now that I'm no longer posting on my phone, I can add a few things I missed:

- Spacing...eh. It either works or it doesn't and you need to find that out on a match to match basis. Some opponents will struggle to bypass the ever mighty Luma wall, and others are extremely efficient at either killing Luma quickly, or avoiding it to pressure you instead. You just need to realize early in a match if it's worthwhile trying to get free damage in by sending Luma out, or if it's better sitting next to you for the majority of the game.

- As for grab breaking, I think down tilt is your best bet. The luma has a little lunge that's pretty good for poking them off you at a distance. If they're close, a f tilt will work as well, and if you were grabbed while doing a jab combo ( Rare, but it happens sometimes ), just keep Luma spinning and he'll often snag the opponent trying to throw you, allowing you to get the biggest possible punish.

You can control Luma while Rosalina is

-Grabbed
-In shield break
-Buryed
-Frozen
-In hitstun
-In special fall
-In landing lag
-Egged
-Inhaled
-Chomped

I might be missing one or two but thats pretty much all of it. Like I said before, in all of these situations only standard attacks can be executed. Also on the off cjance somebody still doesn't know, as of v1.0.4 Luma can NOT attack while Rosalina is being thrown.

Also of note os the fact that Luma can cancel its standard attacks with special attacks if Rosalina is not in the middle of an attack. E.g. if you ffnair so it autocancels and Luma is still attacking, you can cancel its attack with star bits or Luma Shot

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Spacing is not a Rosalina thing, it is an EVERY CHARACTER thing. It's something you learn as you get more comfortable with your character and how they work in the game engine, it cannot be taught.
Everything on grab breaking has been said =]
Good Luck!

Top Bottom