• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luma Buffer Theories and Stratagems

Drakogy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drakogy
This thread is intended to find the parameters in which you can control Luma and the development of strategies from such knowledge.

It is important to see if we can control Luma during Rosalina's:

Launch Star - Up+B
Gravitational Pull - Down+B
Spot Dodge
Air Dodge
Roll
Ledge and Grounded Getups
Free Fall
Hit Stun
During Luma's recall - B
While Rosalina is Grappling an Opponent

Confirmed - Luma is controllable during: (Won't start until final version is released)

When Rosalina is grappled

Last edited:

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
I'm personally curious to know if Rosalina can call Luma back to her if he gets knocked off the stage in a tumble state.

So far though, it seems the only way to specifically position Luma is through the B move. I think Luma moved a little bit when doing some smashes during the Wii U 1v1 demos in the 3DS stream, so that may work too.

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
this video kinda helps with figuring out what Luma can do http://youtu.be/CNJA7FzRNFE?t=1m52s
It also shows that Luma can be slightly controlled with the control stick and jump buttons and I think it also tries to maintain the same horizontal position as Rosi.
You can see a de-synced Luma attack in that video at 2:22. Luma hits downwards while Rosalina lands. I wonder if Luma suffers from landing lag when Rosalina does if Luma is following her?

Drakogy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drakogy
You can see a de-synced Luma attack in that video at 2:22. Luma hits downwards while Rosalina lands. I wonder if Luma suffers from landing lag when Rosalina does if Luma is following her?
2:22 Rosalina attack canceling with the ground does not interrupt Luma's attack. I don't think Luma has any landing lag since it seems that all of his attacks are aerials by default.

5:06 Luma attacked in tandem with Rosalina's forward roll from knock down state. Luma may be able to guard Rosalina's rolls, getups and air dodge land lag if she chooses to recover at his position. It can also act as a mixup where Luma is the direction safety and hence the preferred direction to recover to.

6:35 Luma recalled during Rosalina F-tilt. Correct me if I'm wrong but was Luma recalled mid f-tilt animation? If this and the ability to have Luma attack mid recall make it into the game, the potential for hit confirm smashes off of fairs and such could place Rosalina in a pretty spot in the tiers (Depending on how easy it is to do).

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
2:22 Rosalina attack canceling with the ground does not interrupt Luma's attack. I don't think Luma has any landing lag since it seems that all of his attacks are aerials by default.

5:06 Luma attacked in tandem with Rosalina's forward roll from knock down state. Luma may be able to guard Rosalina's rolls, getups and air dodge land lag if she chooses to recover at his position. It can also act as a mixup where Luma is the direction safety and hence the preferred direction to recover to.

6:35 Luma recalled during Rosalina F-tilt. Correct me if I'm wrong but was Luma recalled mid f-tilt animation? If this and the ability to have Luma attack mid recall make it into the game, the potential for hit confirm smashes off of fairs and such could place Rosalina in a pretty spot in the tiers (Depending on how easy it is to do).
Good finds.

If Luma has no lag during Rosalina's landing lag, she would have safer aerial approaches than a lot of the cast while Luma is following her. That's pretty good to test out when we get the chance. Luma in general seems to make her a lot safer while following.

It does look like Luma is coming back when Rosalina is using her neutral air (I think...) at 6:35. Perhaps the neutral B animation can be cancelled in some way, or maybe Luma will automatically come back to Rosalina after being launched when the hit stun ends.

Drakogy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drakogy
Those seem to be the 3 possibilities, won't be sure until the final release.

Whether Luma can cover Rosalina will be dependent on the cooldowns between his actions because he will be attacking with Rosalina is she does a jump in attack.

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
I think Rosalina will be top tier. If Luma can attack while being grappled she's like the ultimate counter to ice climbers (assuming they get in)

Drakogy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drakogy
I can definitely see every one having a pocket Rosaluma to deal with Ice Climbers. This will also extend to the characters who depend on tech chase grabs and infinites. The utility of Luma seems to warrant the lack of offensive influence she has in her Up and Down specials.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think Rosalina will be top tier. If Luma can attack while being grappled she's like the ultimate counter to ice climbers (assuming they get in)
In theory, that would work, but it would be very important to always have the Luma beside you. Take away the Luma, and Rosalina could be at the mercy of her adversary's chain grabs.

Drakogy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drakogy
In theory, that would work, but it would be very important to always have the Luma beside you. Take away the Luma, and Rosalina could be at the mercy of her adversary's chain grabs.
At 5:51 in this video we can see Luma float towards her position once she was grabbed. One can argue about the distance but it is clear that Luma was disengaged at that time.

www.youtube.com/embed/q_GCpC2KmO4?list=UUOSDoiBrlgiDaovgytySB6A

At the very least we can count on Luma to assist during the grapple situation.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wasn't there a moment in the Rosalina trailer that showed Rosalina being grabbed by Donkey Kong, waving her wand about, and Luma instantly teleporting to her and kicking Donkey Kong, therefore releasing Rosalina?

Like, it didn't seem like a roundabout thing, it seemed like a specific animation for when she is grabbed.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All that I know is that if the Luma is present, the adversary will pretty much throw Rosalina without bothering to pummel her. We've seen on the different videos that Rosalina can't completely avoid grab games after all.

Drakogy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drakogy
All that I know is that if the Luma is present, the adversary will pretty much throw Rosalina without bothering to pummel her. We've seen on the different videos that Rosalina can't completely avoid grab games after all.
That may be but the tosser will likely be payed back with a Luma smash attack during his/her toss recoil. So it may not be as favorable to trade especially if its a throw that allows for a follow up attack. That is if Luma is fast enough.

Top Bottom