• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luma attack priority

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Let's figure this out.

There's an interesting parallel between pikmin and Luma I think will be useful in exploring in order to understand how Luma priority works. I'm a little rusty on Brawl Olimar's specifics, but this is where I'm pulling my research from. I haven't played Brawl in years, but he was my main back then and I did a lot of research on the subject. When I reference pikmin from now on, assume I'm talking about Brawl's pikmin, as I don't know much about Sm4sh's pikmin mechanics.

Please read or skim through this before moving on if you're not familiar with how priority works in Super Smash. Don't read too much into what it says about pikmin in the wiki. I'll explain it more, below.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, all of Olimar's pikmin attacks bar up-air behave somewhat like projectiles. Luma's attacks behave similarly.

Luma priority behaves similarly to pikmin priority in that most medium-to-high damaging aerial attacks don't simply clash or trade with Luma's grounded attacks. They clash/clank, then trump her attacks, and then knock her away. For this reason, I think Luma priority also behaves similarly to projectile priority, but not exactly like it.

The major difference between pikmin priority and traditional projectile priority is that pikmin priority is based mainly on their individual current health as opposed to their damage. For example, an aerial attack that does 10% or more damage would trump a 9 health (red's base health) red upsmash because its damage exceeds the red's health. It had nothing to do with how much damage the attack did.

Unlike against pikmin attacks, attacks will trump Luma's attacks even if her HP is well above the damage of the colliding attack. I'd wager there's a % threshold at which an attack will only trump Luma if surpassed, but that's just a guess.

• Luma's priority isn't based on health, or else a 52 HP Luma would have priority over every attack in the game.
  • It's not transcendent priority because they can clash and be canceled out.
  • They don't work in accordance to the law of high and low priority mentioned in my link, because even jabs will often times beat out Luma. This law applies to both projectile priority and grounded attack priority.
  • The hitboxes of normal ground attacks follow the law of high and low priority. This means that they interact with each other in terms of the damage they deal, which in turn classifies each as having "high" or "low" priority. When two ground attack hitboxes overlap, they will collide, and will either cancel each other out, or one will override (out-prioritize) the other. This collision is signified by a white "bubble", and in Melee, a distinct "ting" sound, as if swords are clanking, is also heard. The law of high and low priority functions in terms of a damage (priority) range of 8%. On these terms, one ground attack must deal over 8% damage more than another attack if it is to out-prioritize it, hence, the "priority range" in Smash Bros games is 8%.
So how does it work?

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
no idea how to test this but i've been thinking about it.

yknow ive been playing smash since about 2004, and i never knew priority was determined by %, i always thought moves just had some sort of priority level. ha. anyways, it got me thinking, if luma is attached to you does it add to your % for determining priority? or does each move get priority determined separately?

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
something that's been bugging me since thinking about this is luma can clank with aerials. like, luma's aerial attacks will clank with an opponent's grounded attack. that shouldn't happen, right?

A_male_platypus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Platypusaurus
I've also been wondering about this. I definitely think icraq is right about Luma having higher priority when it's attached to you, but I can't say for 100% because I'm also just now finding out about the % affecting priority. I have definitely noticed Luma clashing with Yoshi's away from Rosa, but when attached I would beat the Yoshi's move. It could've been another determining factor though.

Top Bottom