• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Spin Jump Ability

NNID
Rektnator
I was thinking about the abilities all the playable characters from Mario game series (except spin-offs) possess and I noticed both of the Italian brothers (Mario & Luigi) usually possess the skill to Spin Jump, allowing the player to fly towards a longer distance. I think it would serve Luigi as a recovery improvement, allowing him to fly towards the stage while holding the X or Y (jump) button as a flight mechanic. What do you guys think about it?

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQ1W2A72X4 (Spin Jump shown at 00:24)

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
How do you propose this ground pound will operate? I've seen a lot of people suggest move changes for characters because it will make them more similar to the characters' games, but they can't effectively justify how it would be a good idea from a gameplay perspective. A good exercise for this kind of thing is to think of how you would design the character if they were completely original to Smash, never having appeared in any other games at all.

Of course one looks to the characters' games for inspiration for moves, but this is a fighting game; the priority should be how well the character plays in Smash, not their consistency with their own universe. Lucas and Ness are the first examples that come to my mind of characters that take necessary liberties with their universe; they still use PSI like in their own games, but many of the PSI techniques they use in Smash were only useable by other party members in their own games, since staying truer to their games in that respect wouldn't have worked properly.

Please say in as much detail as you can:
• What properties this new move will have
• How it will benefit Luigi
• How it will change his gameplan/playstyle and feel
And correspondingly, how losing his old dair will affect those things

Both Mario and Luigi already have useful meteor smashes (their respective forward air and down air). As I understand it the ground pound would remove a versatile and useful move (his existing down air) without enough benefit in return. It is a very important finisher, without it the only move he can use from the air that knocks the opponent far away horizontally is his forward air; neutral air launches vertically while up air and back air are both too weak and more suited for combos and edgeguards (in my opinion and experience; you are welcome to disagree). I also have concerns about the combination of a move that forces Luigi downwards and his poor aerial mobility.

There is already a thread about Luigi's meteor smash, so you would be better off taking your suggestion there; this board isn't exactly well populated so we should congregate in a small number of threads to maximise useful attention (http://smashboards.com/threads/how-op-would-luigi-be-if-he-had-a-reliable-meteor-smash.341733/).

Last edited:
NNID
Rektnator
How do you propose this ground pound will operate? I've seen a lot of people suggest move changes for characters because it will make them more similar to the characters' games, but they can't effectively justify how it would be a good idea from a gameplay perspective. A good exercise for this kind of thing is to think of how you would design the character if they were completely original to Smash, never having appeared in any other games at all.

Of course one looks to the characters' games for inspiration for moves, but this is a fighting game; the priority should be how well the character plays in Smash, not their consistency with their own universe. Lucas and Ness are the first examples that come to my mind of characters that take necessary liberties with their universe; they still use PSI like in their own games, but many of the PSI techniques they use in Smash were only useable by other party members in their own games, since staying truer to their games in that respect wouldn't have worked properly.

Both Mario and Luigi already have useful meteor smashes (their respective forward air and down air). As I understand it the ground pound would remove a versatile and useful move (his existing down air) without enough benefit in return. It is a very important finisher, without it the only move he can use from the air that knocks the opponent far away horizontally is his forward air; neutral air launches vertically while up air and back air are both too weak and more suited for combos and edgeguards (in my opinion and experience; you are welcome to disagree). I also have concerns about the combination of a move that forces Luigi downwards and his poor aerial mobility.

There is already a thread about Luigi's meteor smash, so you would be better off taking your suggestion there; this board isn't exactly well populated so we should congregate in a small number of threads to maximise useful attention (http://smashboards.com/threads/how-op-would-luigi-be-if-he-had-a-reliable-meteor-smash.341733/).
I thought about all that, but I just wanted at least Luigi to have a solid meteor smash without having to depend on his sweet spot D-Air. And I thought it could set up combos like Wario, but I see what you mean about his current D-Air. It's more useful, I guess..

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... good point, but what do you think about Mario's D-Air?
mario is to luigi as fox is to falco, my friend main's mario. his dair a combo set up for any of his tilts, and pretty much is a free grab. She sorta pulled something off today but it was an accident, i think depending on DI he can down throw at low %> SHFFL Dair>regrab

Stride

Smash Ace
I thought about all that, but I just wanted at least Luigi to have a solid meteor smash without having to depend on his sweet spot D-Air. And I thought it could set up combos like Wario, but I see what you mean about his current D-Air. It's more useful, I guess..
If you thought about it, then please post what you thought so everyone can see. Like I said:
Post your description and we'll all be able to work out whether or not the old down air is better

NNID
Rektnator
mario is to luigi as fox is to falco, my friend main's mario. his dair a combo set up for any of his tilts, and pretty much is a free grab. She sorta pulled something off today but it was an accident, i think depending on DI he can down throw at low %> SHFFL Dair>regrab
Mario & Luigi are brothers, it is understandable to be semi clones at least. Falco & Fox could be arrange in other ways; the problem is that people are already used to them the way they already are.

NNID
Rektnator
If you thought about it, then please post what you thought so everyone can see. Like I said:

Post your description and we'll all be able to work out whether or not the old down air is better
It is an idea! You decide if it's good or not! You have the freedom to support the idea by importing new ideas of your own to reach somewhere! If you think Luigi is okay the way he is now, then that's your opinion. I would like to see if anyone else would like to import more ideas whether they are good or bad! I would say Luigi is okay the way he is, but does it harm anyone to ask if new moves could benefit Luigi in some way or another?

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
It is an idea! You decide if it's good or not! You have the freedom to support the idea by importing new ideas of your own to reach somewhere! If you think Luigi is okay the way he is now, then that's your opinion. I would like to see if anyone else would like to import more ideas weather they are good or bad! I would say Luigi is okay the way he is, but does it harm anyone to ask if new moves could benefit Luigi in some way or another?
One can't say very much about whether the suggestion is good or what improvements it might need without more information from you. You haven't said very much about how your proposed move will work; that's why I posted those bullet points of things you should talk about.

You are correct that it does no harm to ask, but if you aren't detailed enough with your suggestions then it can't do much good either. I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was dismissing your move outright.

Last edited:
NNID
Rektnator
One can't say very much about whether the suggestion is good or what improvements it might need without more information from you. You haven't said very much about how your proposed move will work; that's why I posted those bullet points of things you should talk about.

You are correct that it does no harm to ask, but if you aren't detailed enough with your suggestions then it can't do much good either. I'm sorry if I gave the impression I was dismissing your move outright.
Sorry, I got carried away! And I was thinking if Luigi would have a Ground Pound just like Wario, I think he would be able to link his Up-B after stunning the opponent in the air with the Ground Pound at 20% damage or highter. But, it wasn't that good of an Idea, though.

Top Bottom