• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Cyclone Recovery Help

Vonpuppin

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm a doc main but I play Luigi and Falcon as well.
Here's my issue: the Luigi Cyclone.

I know you can get vertical recovery off of it, but I can't do it. Ever since a young age, I've had a voluntary hand twitch that allows me to press a button 7-10 times a second, but that doesn't seem to do it. I've tried pressing b rapidly off the ground, of a single jump, going off of a second jump, while holding down, up, left, and right, and holding the b button down (which I know is wrong.) I can do it sometimes but its completely random and has happened at least once with every situation I mentioned (except for holding b).

Is my 9 presses a second not enough, is there a whole echelon of button pressing I'm missing out on?

Thanks for any help.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Here is the chart of height by how many times pressed.
14+ times per second...Highest amount of height will be gained
12-13 times per second...2/3 the maximum height
8-10 times per second...1/2 the maximum height
5-7 times per second...0 height gained (maintains height; stalls)
Less than 5... Loss

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
It's daunting and not easy.

Just takes practice and finding a comfortable position to mash for about 2 seconds that you can flip your hands to quickly and flip back quickly. Vudujin tends to put his controller near his face and "have a seizure" with his hands. A lot of players will set the controller on their leg and press down with the index finger or middle finger or both together.

It's tough, but to be fair waveshining across a stage with fox is also tough

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
Right, roughly. I've noticed that if I at least get some of the last few frames of the down-b while on the ground, then it's recharged for recovery, but I haven't done much testing of any kind. Just try to end it on the ground.

ELStalky

Smash Apprentice
Right, roughly. I've noticed that if I at least get some of the last few frames of the down-b while on the ground, then it's recharged for recovery, but I haven't done much testing of any kind. Just try to end it on the ground.
As far as i know the last executed frame has to be grounded. You can even clank with another attack, as long as you were on the ground it's charged.

Vonpuppin

Smash Rookie
I don't really understand. Some sources say you need to be falling, others say you need to be rising, and you guys say you need to start from the ground. I'm quite confused. Could you clear it up for me?

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
To be able to use the move for recovery you need to "charge" it by using it on the ground first, the second time you use it should be when you're recovering, otherwise you'll just fall, you have to do this every time you think you're going to need to use it to recover. Falling/rising does not matter.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
Try thinking of it like this:

Luigi's cyclone has to be "charged" before you can recover with it. If the cyclone isn't charged, you'll never get any height out of it regardless of how quickly you press B.
You charge the cyclone by using it on the ground. You don't have to do anything special when using it on the ground (like tap B, or hit an enemy), and you can even have the cyclone cancelled by getting hit and the cyclone will still be "charged".
Once you've done this, you can use the cyclone to recover, and the numbers that pokemongeof posted let you know how high you'll rise based on how many times you press B.
Using the cyclone for recovery will get rid of the charge, meaning that you'll have to use it on the ground again before using it to recover.

...That's the basic jist of it. When recovering, I try to use the cyclone directly out of the end of a missile (side+b) so that I don't accidentally start fast-falling before the cyclone. Saving your jump until after the cyclone helps as well, especially if your cyclone's rise tends to stall or drop towards the end.

Vonpuppin

Smash Rookie
Try thinking of it like this:

Luigi's cyclone has to be "charged" before you can recover with it. If the cyclone isn't charged, you'll never get any height out of it regardless of how quickly you press B.
You charge the cyclone by using it on the ground. You don't have to do anything special when using it on the ground (like tap B, or hit an enemy), and you can even have the cyclone cancelled by getting hit and the cyclone will still be "charged".
Once you've done this, you can use the cyclone to recover, and the numbers that pokemongeof posted let you know how high you'll rise based on how many times you press B.
Using the cyclone for recovery will get rid of the charge, meaning that you'll have to use it on the ground again before using it to recover.

...That's the basic jist of it. When recovering, I try to use the cyclone directly out of the end of a missile (side+b) so that I don't accidentally start fast-falling before the cyclone. Saving your jump until after the cyclone helps as well, especially if your cyclone's rise tends to stall or drop towards the end.
Thank you so very much, I finally understand how this thing works.

Top Bottom