• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi vs. Ganon & Falcon Videos, friendlies from 12/7/10

omgliekkewl

Smash Cadet
True to my word, after reading Vist's post I purchased a recording setup and drove from Martinez (my hometown/reason why I rock MTZ tag) to Berkeley to record a bit with my friend David. Besides some silly decisions and unfortunate stupid deaths (partly because I smoked three or four bowls throughout our smashing, partly because they're friendlies and who cares), I think they're pretty entertaining videos and demonstrate a few helpful Luigi tactics as well some obvious mistakes (DI on Falcon's throws, overusing Down-B on the ground and getting punished, not punishing missed/shielded aerials with n-air/b-air out of shield, missed edge guards, etc.)...hopefully I'll replace these with better sets when I'm sober and David is less tired (and prone to suicide so much).

Anyway, feel free to comment or debate the matchup or ask questions or tell me how bad I am/Luigi is. I'd like to get a serious discussion going as to how Luigi's are going to beat these two powerful monsters.

Friendlies
Luigi v. Ganon 1
Luigi v. Ganon 2
Luigi v. Ganon 3
Luigi v. Falcon 1
Luigi v. Falcon 2

Srslies/Last Set Of The Night
Luigi v. Falcon 1
Luigi v. Falcon 2
Luigi v. Falcon 3
Luigi v. Falcon 4
Luigi v. Falcon 5
Luigi v. Falcon 6 (lol fail)
Luigi v. Falcon 7

sorry for the sound, don't really know how to work the software

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
Please please please tech ganons dair. Every time i watch luigis head get stomped on a part of me dies inside. Three dairs is NOT a true combo, meaning it should NOT work every time.
No high johns. just tech it. And i know u think ur innovative and stuff, but being in the air doesn't work against a ganon who fairs and uairs better. sorry dude. I saw some interesting things, but i want to see you play someone better (no offense to David)

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
More comments later... first thing I noticed from watching your first match is that when you do the rising down-b to recover you don't get the maximum horizontal distance. It seems nit-picky, but if you angled it better you would a.)be better at recovering with it and b.) be able to destroy Gannon with it if you used it as an attack.

Any time gannon is above you on a platform below about 80% you can pretty much combo him off the top with SH u-air followed immediately by a lateral rising down-b and then a DJ u-air.

Also, I like your use of the down-b on the ground. However, you should keep in mind, the main reason the move is effective is that it is fast and has a built-in run-away mechanism. What I noticed you do is use it on the ground and rush in, hitting with the first hitbox (good) and then just sit there spinning while he techs, you miss the second hitbox, and he punishes you (bad.) SOOOOO what I would do (at least sometimes, mix it up obv) is strike with the first hitbox and then jam the control stick in the opposite direction asap so you can flee. Mix up the direction of retreat. This is spammable and ultimately more effective than the ka-master style of tornadoing in and praying that they miss the tech and the second hitbox hits them. It's just generally a safer, faster, more confusing option.

Finally: any time you're too far away to attack immediately, SHFF fireball in his direction.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
^ Odds are, they're bad because most people are bad.

I wouldn't say calling Luigi bad is correlated to being bad. Recognizing your character's weaknesses is a good thing. Some people like to be super optimistic I guess, and go with whatever works for you, but I think almost every successful low tier player knows/thinks of their character as bad, or at least not as good as the higher tiered characters. You guys are way too aggressive in calling people bad just for being realistic. lol

I like your advice about hitting with the down b and then retreating though. A lot of times the second hit won't combo and if they tech you'll just be in lag to get punished.

Random down b -> run away can get you out of cornered situations even if they react to it and shield. Against some characters I might even feel comfortable falling offstage with the down B and sweetspotting with up B.

@ omgliekkewl

I'll save serious comments about the videos for a set of videos you don't have johns about xD

omgliekkewl

Smash Cadet
yea video johns are really easy to make after you watch how bad you are and think "man, i usually play better"

but then you think:

"do I actually?"

haha, no johns on the next video post!

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
The "so they can suck it" at the end was like a punctuation mark to indicate irony. I recognize that Luigi is bad.
damn, I feel dumb now >.>

yea video johns are really easy to make after you watch how bad you are and think "man, i usually play better"

but then you think:

"do I actually?"
exactlyyyyy how I feel

I haaate being recorded

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I've gotten the hang of tournament nerves so recording doesn't bother too much I don't think

Need to figure out those bad habits I'm sure I'm full of haha

I could just be super lying though ... zzz

Top Bottom