• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi DOWN-B METEOR SMASH. Believe it?

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
I'm about 99% sure that the hitbox that emerges at luigi's feet during the last few frames of his down-b animation (while in the air) is a powerful meteor smash. It is very difficult to hit with this hitbox, as the ones at his hands seem much more prominent, but this could change several aspects of his gameplay. Anybody who cares to experiment please do so and let me know what you discover.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
How would this change any aspects of Luigi gameplay ...
This is akin to going for Mario's Down-b spike in 64 - only useful for showing off

If you can guess where they're going to such an extent that you can hit them with the 2nd hitbox of down-b with the feet, just Dair them instead =_=

Anyways, it'd be like ... kinda cool I guess. But it wouldn't change anything

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
Have you ever wondered what the little "hop" that occurs if you press b again while using the cyclone on the ground is used for? It may be useful for spiking as a ledge guard.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Pretty sure that's rising cyclone ... if you mash B then you gain height during down-b so if you tap B then you hop

Any ledgeguard that you have start like, however many frames before they actually get to the ledge is pretty bad <_<

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
The closest I have come is to duck through a platform and immediately mash b, it gives the illusion of just rising off the platform.

Unrelated: the rising down-b is surprisingly good for killing spacies off the top. You just need to get good at it.

You see what I mean?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yeah sorry. I must've remembered doing it with Mario and thought it applied to Luigi
*embarrassed*

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
The main reason that the spike is useful is presumably against spacies who are combo'd very easily at certain percentages from the first to the second hitbox. You just need to work on timing it so that you can rise appropriately to entrap the opponent. It seems strange, it is very difficult, but it's super cool and it works.

Vist

Smash Champion
Seriously, dude. Luigi is so much bigger than "good" luigi mains have made him out to be.
How exactly is Luigi so much 'bigger' than "good" Luigi mains make him out to be? What "good" Luigi mains are you talking about? There's certainly not that many and I'm sure the majority would agree Luigi's meta-game has room for improvement. Way to come off as an ******* by saying "good" Luigi mains btw LOL...

Like Wenbo said, it's cool that/if Luigi has a spike from the down-b, but given the fact that it seems difficult to execute and probably very situational, I don't see how it's going to change much of anything.. I hope you prove us wrong though :cool:

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding like an *** **** **** ******. I'm really just saying that the people who are good with Luigi could be extra good if they incorporated some nifty stuff into their game.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Doesn't even have to be vids necessarily, just a description of a setup for it, what percents it works at, and why you would use it instead of using up B (I mean the KO off the top)

If the down b meteor is super strong then MAYYYBE it could be useful. If I'm in position to hit them and they're offstage though then I think dair gets the job done for the most part.

I'm all for innovation but you have to explain why it's useful and practical, not just accuse us of not thinking outside the box ;)

Cool discoveries though.

Top Bottom