• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina's placement on current tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I have just found this tier list online, and I wanted to ask the community's opinions and experiences with it.

http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssb4/

According to this list, Lucina is placed at 19 out of 44. Wouldn't this make her a solid A- or B+ tier? It seems to be quite a bit higher than most placements I see in general discussions of her. Since this community seems to have a more mature view on official things, I feel it makes the most sense to discuss it here rather than elsewhere.

In any case, I never considered her low tier to begin with. I feel she has lots of potential, I'm just horrible at bringing it out for the time being.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
EventHubs is questionable for reliable tier placing. Dark Pit over Pit, for example, is somewhat laughable.

I would believe that Lucina and Marth are mid tier at best, but let's see what happens in the future.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
EventHubs is questionable for reliable tier placing. Dark Pit over Pit, for example, is somewhat laughable.

I would believe that Lucina and Marth are mid tier at best, but let's see what happens in the future.
Marth is one of those characters who are almost pretty much always high tier.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
Well, are there any other frequently updated online tier lists? Personally, I don't care for them much, I think it depends on the skill of the player over what limitations the game gives the character. I just have to use my intelligent brain and figure out things. :)

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Marth is always gonna be Place high due to tippers so he won't have to worry about placement.

Eventhubs tier list have...questionable placements and tend to change everyday,but it doesn't matter what tier your character is,if you enjoy using them,use them and let your skill dictate how good the character can really be.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Anyways, this game is balanced, unlike the previous entries, so the tier list isn't as important.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Eventhubs is like wikipedia for tier lists. Its mostly accurate, but occasionally that one idiot will come along with his buddies and upvote a bad character while down-voting ones that beat them in FG. It is hard to know its credibility when people who are clueless are given equal weight to people who know the game inside-out. Popularity plays a big part in their tier placing. That said, they are generally on the right track with every character, minus a few, like Marth and Lucina, who may be too high, and Bowser and Wario, who are probably too low. I'd take eventhubs with a grain of salt. Still a good reference point though.

Marth and Lucina, on a tier list I've come up with based on info from tournies and people's opinions on here, are around midway through the list. I have them placed near Pit, Dark Pit and Mega Man. Solid mid-tier character, though Marth is obviously going to be better in a perfect world.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The list is rubbish. Like Lucario shouldn't be that high, and ganon shouldn't be that low.
Lucario should most definitely be that high. He's insane in this game. At 80% and above he kills earlier than any heavyweight and recovers better too. At low percentages he combos well despite low kill power. He has one of the games best projectiles, a counter, a command grab, fast attacks, good range, one of the best grab games, and if played well, can take down three stock on a single life if your opponent doesn't get an opening. When the game launched, some suggested he was in the top 3 in the game. But he's definitely in the top 10. And Ganondorf is a BIT low, but its not far off, he's still one of the worst character 1v1, although he's actually viable now.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Lucario should most definitely be that high. He's insane in this game. At 80% and above he kills earlier than any heavyweight and recovers better too. At low percentages he combos well despite low kill power. He has one of the games best projectiles, a counter, a command grab, fast attacks, good range, one of the best grab games, and if played well, can take down three stock on a single life if your opponent doesn't get an opening. When the game launched, some suggested he was in the top 3 in the game. But he's definitely in the top 10. And Ganondorf is a BIT low, but its not far off, he's still one of the worst character 1v1, although he's actually viable now.
Yeah but I hardly see anyone use him, and I see a lot more people use ganon. Yeah Lucario can be beefed up but no one seems to care, he's not very scary.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yeah but I hardly see anyone use him, and I see a lot more people use ganon. Yeah Lucario can be beefed up but no one seems to care, he's not very scary.
Usage has no direct relation to tier placement. That only matters in Pokemon because of how many variables there are, which makes it impossible to definitively rank characters. In Smash, tier placement is based on how good the character is relative to others. Not many people used Olimar in Brawl, but he was the third best character in the game. Similarly, not many people seriously use Villager compared to Little Mac and Ganon, but he's considered by most to be better than both of them when played well.

Last edited:

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Usage has no direct relation to tier placement. That only matters in Pokemon because of how many variables there are, which makes it impossible to definitively rank characters. In Smash, tier placement is based on how good the character is relative to others. Not many people used Olimar in Brawl, but he was the third best character in the game. Similarly, not many people seriously use Villager compared to Little Mac and Ganon, but he's considered by most to be better than both of them when played well.
well any character can be played well.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
The meta is still very young. From what is being observed so far, there looks to be much less disparity between tiers, compared to the previous iterations, especially SSBB. Characters that are generally perceived as bad could actually hold their own for once against those that are known to be a competitive threat (i.e. Zelda vs. Rosalina).

Regarding Lucina, while EventHubs community thinks highly of her, many in the competitive section of Smashboards do not; I noticed that the latter community tends to rank her among the lower half of the cast, most often times in the bottom ten. I remember asking GameFAQs community about this, specifically how and where they expect the four FE characters in the game to place by the time the first "official" tier list is released. Their opinions seem to be more or less consistent to those seen here.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/71026312

However, as the above posters said, you can make any character work so long as you put forth the effort. Don't let tier placements deter you from maining characters you like. ^-^

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I wouldn't really trust Eventhubs, personally. I view it the same way as Wikipedia: Anybody can edit it and anybody can contribute, and unfortunately, not everybody is smart. With just about anybody being allowed to vote there, I wouldn't expect the majority of those voters to be reliable. For all I know, they could be biased in their votes, base it on their personal experience (which might not be from an actual tournament environment, or facing any good opponents), or they just don't know what they're talking about. Heck, there's also a possibility that a few of them have probably not even played the game before, and cast a vote just to troll or something, which still counts as a contribution. I'm even okay with betting money that at least 1/4 of the voters aren't even tournament players or tournament viable players, maybe more than that. And personally, I find a good number of those rankings to be questionable, or highly disagreeable.

That said, a lot of other communicates don't seem to think nearly as high of Lucina as this list does, and everyone else seems to rank her in the lower levels of the roster. And honestly, as much as I love Lucina's characters, I personally can't see her being any higher than the dead center of mid tier and the sun doesn't look like its shining much on her competitive future. Its pretty early in the meta, but this character has plenty of glaring weaknesses that kinda hurt her and make her a difficult character to play. I've been pretty loud and clear in saying that I think Lucina is likely low tier, although I do think she's at the very top of that low tier (unless :4bowserjr: and/or :4littlemac:end low tier too, then I'd say she's 2nd or 3rd best) and I find her at least a little underrated. Smash 4 is looking to be a fairly balanced game, and even the weaker characters seem to have a fighting chance in this environment, Lucina being no exception. I don't think she's a good character for a beginner, but I firmly believe Lucina still has some strengths that make her a tough cookie if you know how to play her:
  • Impressive range and disjointed moves
  • Best Walking Speed in the game, can even walk faster than some characters can run
  • Great OoS options with Dolphin Slash and her Up Smash
  • Above Average Aerial Game
  • She's cute :bluejump:
  • Shield Breaker is a scary move for mixups, punishes, and intimidation. If someone like to sit in their shields too much, this forbids them to
  • Useful Tilts, her Down Tilt being especially awesome
  • Okay Edgeguarding
  • A good selection of custom moves; looking at Dashing Assault, Dolphin Jump, and Iai Counter in particular
But of course, she's definitely got her drawbacks.
  • Weak combos
  • Anything she can do, Marth can do better (especially when it comes to killing)
  • A mediocre set of throws
  • She does not have a projectile, or any great defense against them
  • Nasty Landing Lag on aerials
  • Bad character artwork :chuckle:
  • Underwhelming Killing Moves, she has lots of trouble scoring KOs at reasonable percents if she can't gimp her opponent
  • Lots and lots of Endlag. Aside from Dtilt, Shield Breaker, or a well-spaced Fair/Nair; nearly every move she has is punishable against a shield or if whiffed.
  • ^ What's more to that, is she can't afford this kind of punishment because her recovery sucks (in a gae where more than half the cast at least has a decent chance of recovering). Lucina is plagued with one of those recoveries where if you knock her out of her double jump, she probably won't make it back. A few mistakes and you could be done for.

Mostly though, her matchup spread doesn't really seem all that great as far I can tell, the reason I view her Low Tier/Low-Mid is that she currently seems to have more bad matchups than good ones to be honest. She looks like she can go toe to toe with guys and gals like :4zelda:,:4wiifit:,:4gaw:,:4kirby:, :4mario:, and a couple of others. But besides them, how many other characters does she really beat? I mean her moves take too long to end for the most part, and she suffers in scoring KOs while not being that hard to KO herself, and I think a little too many characters can take advantage of those. Idk, I feel her weaknesses can be worked around and I feel some potential in her, but I at the same time I sense her having a little more of them than many. Don't get me wrong, I do not think she is horrible nor is she even really bad, I just think most of the other characters are better.

This is all from my perspective though.

Last edited:

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I've been in some pretty good matchups and won some pretty good fights in my opinion. I'm nowhere near a Smash beginner, having been with the series since it's initial release around 15 years ago. All these kids just now hopping on the bandwagon are late to the party. :D And besides, I've been maining Marth's style since Melee, being more comfortable and preferring that move set, it comes more natural. The only things I have trouble with are characters that outpace me, but that's my own personal weakness, not Lucina's. Her game is all about reading and punishing. Besides, I wouldn't want to be a character that's considered "easy" anyway, cause I would get bored with my wins. What's so fun about a character that hardly takes any real work to get good matchups? Lucina is right where I want her: Underrated, cute, not to mention Laura Bailey as her VA. <3

Besides, the way my logic works, the quick kill doesn't necessarily mean the best player. If you rely on that quick kill to win, what is your true endurance and defense like? The best players are the ones where the fight can drag on and they still come out on top. What do you do when your grand attack plan is finally figured out and you're put in a defensive position? That's what matters. All the good players know this game is about good reads and punishing mistakes. I said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again. The object isn't to see how many times you can hit your opponent, it's how many times you can get them to mess up, to do things they shouldn't be doing.

I've been in some long, hard fights. And when I finally got that good read at the end that gave me the win, it felt so good.

And besides, why rate things only from the pros anyway? The majority of players aren't out trying to win prize money in expensive tournaments. That's like me saying "My boss has been a mechanic for over 20 years, my experience is nothing like his." Well of course, in order to get better, we have to start right where we are. We have to see how our mains work against players of our skill level, and build upon THAT to get to the big winnings at the end. No one starts their training by doing the hardest thing possible of what they're trying to learn. And that's what I think tier lists fail to do. They fail to report upon the progression and training of a character, and only report upon the professionals who happen to main a certain character. The game has been out 3 months! Hell, give it time. Pros aren't made in just a couple months, and the ones that are, are being paid to do it. I'm more worried about me, right where I am.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
The only thing you should really take from this tier list is the top and bottom. While it is essentially just a voting free-for-all people do and will notice the biggest outliers in a group, whether it be because they perform exceptionally better than the rest of the pack or because they perform exceptionally bad in comparison.

Everything in the middle is murky water. That being said Marth is being recognised as middle of pack so far (for what little that may be worth this early in the meta) with Lucina trailing not too far behind him. Even if he has his issues Marth isn't going to be 'bad' or bottom-tier because he has a functional kit to use, and this applies to Lucina too by virtue of being a clone (even if she is inferior to him).

Beyond that, customs are a thing now. Old tier lists are essentially meaningless at this junction. Come EVO there is going to be a potential shake up and things are very much subject to change. Might give Marcina a chance to shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom