• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina viable for beginners ?

Kane49

Smash Rookie
Hi Forums !

I wanted to get into competetive smashing and i figured that Lucina is a good start for inexperienced players.
But im having a very tough time since she gets no kiddy wheels when it comes to her moveset, or at least i think she doesn't , which leads me to believe that i might be training with the wrong or the perfect character ^^

Does anyone have any insight on that ? Is Lucina a viable training tool ? Any Tips on bad habits i should avoid like the plague ?

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Lucina is totally viable for beginners, Marth is more advanced as he is more of a spacing character. With Lucina I feel like you should go hot and cold meaning at some times you need to go super aggressive, but don't overextend your self and know when to go cold, or defensive. As for bad habits don't spam rolling :chuckle: Makes sure that you space yourself well enough so that you don't get shield grabbed. Also, know HOW to shield grab. To do this: Press R to Shield, then A while in shield to grab. The idea is to grab a person who's attack hit your shield. Hope this helped :D

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Lucina is totally viable for beginners, Marth is more advanced as he is more of a spacing character. With Lucina I feel like you should go hot and cold meaning at some times you need to go super aggressive, but don't overextend your self and know when to go cold, or defensive. As for bad habits don't spam rolling :chuckle: Makes sure that you space yourself well enough so that you don't get shield grabbed. Also, know HOW to shield grab. To do this: Press R to Shield, then A while in shield to grab. The idea is to grab a person who's attack hit your shield. Hope this helped :D
After playing competitive for over a year and a half now, doing fairly well most of the time, and I NEVER understood what shield grabbing was till now. Thank you, literally SO much. Whenever I seen that phrase I pretty much just skipped over it but it's SO useful. Thank you, again. I know it's random, but I honestly just wanted to say that.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Marth is more advanced as he is more of a spacing character.
I would say that if you are a beginner, it would be best if you went with Marth simply because you can see the effects of your practice easily. If you space, you get rewarded with a tipper and that feels sooooo good....

Anyways, if you are thinking of using Lucina, try just learning the move-set. See how each move works, the timing for the dancing blade etc. After you have a good grasp of how that works, focus on learning how to space your moves correctly. Then after that it becomes even more complex, you would have to learn how to read your opponents, learn match-ups, but that all comes with experience after playing the game. If you plan on attending tournaments then you have an additional level of complexity to work with and that would be your own mindset, but that is another topic entirely.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
I think Lucina would be perfect to get you into the competitive scene! She's pretty perfect, imo, because she's easy for beginners to learn but she's very hard to master, so it gives you a nice feel of progression. I remember when I was playing a match with my friend and I finally got how to counter his attacks down.. it just felt so... good. XD ANYWAYS, she's easy to learn and if you start to get bored you can learn how to time her counters, and do dancing blade combos and so forth!

Tsukihi Araragi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-1966-0579
Compared to Marth, she's much easier to use. With Marth you must space and hit with the edge. With Lucina you can go close quarters combat and not get penalized. Oh and don't be afraid to run off the ledge to land an extra attack. Sure you won't kill them, but they won't make it back on to the stage.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
With Lucina you can go close quarters combat and not get penalized.
Are you trying to say that if you hit with Lucina's moves with incorrect spacing you will not get penalized? If that is the case, it is an incorrect statement, you will get penalized if you miss. You should be spacing and hitting with the edge of the sword as well.

Last edited:

Tsukihi Araragi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-1966-0579
Are you trying to say that if you hit with Lucina's moves with incorrect spacing you will not get penalized? If that is the case, it is an incorrect statement, you will get penalized if you miss. You should be spacing and hitting with the edge of the sword as well.
I meant, you don't get the "sour spot". But at the same time spacing is still useful to keep away from your opponents.

Kane49

Smash Rookie
i must confess that i switched to marth for training, getting audio confirmation on a tipper is very satisfying

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
i must confess that i switched to marth for training, getting audio confirmation on a tipper is very satisfying
Plz :sadeyes: Lucina however, is more aggressive and more fun to play (IMO of course, you can agree or disagree, its just my opinion XD), while Marth is more of a keep away spacing char.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Really, neither character, Martha nor Lucina is better or worse or easier or harder. I just prefer to play as Lucina.

Comorant

Smash Cadet
Lucina is easier to pick up than Marth, there isn't really much argument there. Of course that doesn't mean Lucina is instantly Baby's First Marth. She has more room for aggressive play and overall consistency that allow you to get in opponent's faces more which changes how you can move and attack.

Alaya

Smash Cadet
Lucina's color swaps >>> Marths

On the serious tip though (ha), even if a 'good' player will on average deal more damage and knockback with Marth and have more kill options than Lucina, he just doesn't feel as good to me to use. Maybe it's that his animations seem less fluid because of the size difference, or the slight delay in making a jump compared to Lucina (shes shorter but with the same jumping abilities so she appears to leave the ground, including her hitbox, faster than Marth), maybe it's that I rely on sliding upsmash a lot and it's better on Lucina, maybe it's that you never feel bad on Lucina for hitting your opponent since it always does consistent damage no matter where in the hitbox you connect with, maybe it's that she seems to travel farther with midair shield breakers, etc. etc.

Lot's of little things just make it feel better for me to play Lucina, even though I know how satisfying it is to land tippers on Marth and get kills out of sideb up combo etc. in a way that Lucina never does.

They feel different, and I prefer Lucina's overall feel (and that's ignoring that I find her thematically more interesting than Marth). I suppose a good analogy for difference in feel for League of Legends players would be that Lucina is an all ad + Last Whisper Fiora and Marth is Infinity Edge + Ghostblade Fiora. It's not a perfect analogy because crits are psuedo random and not 'tippers' but it's pretty close.

As it stands right now, Marth is a slightly better choice from a numbers standpoint, but he feels bad to me and that's not something that some extra hit stun and another kill move or two will fix. Besides, this game is in it's early stages and anything could happen. Next month someone could invent a super rushdown movement technique that doesn't work on these two characters which would make it all but impossible to tipper and then suddenly Lucina would be the objectively better pick. Or maybe there will be a patch that takes advantage of the gathered online data and all the 'clones' will get slight adjustments to their numbers to make them not just 'better'/'worse' versions of the originals.

Either way, I'm gonna be using Lucina.

Top Bottom