• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas Z-Air Followups

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I've done some research in the lab, and hopefully this will give you some ideas about what to do after one of Lucas' most underused moves so far.

...no, not PK Freeze.

beany

Smash Rookie
Very cool, dude! This might be asking a bit much, but do you mind finding the percent range in which some of these stop becoming true combos? Im especially interested to see if Zair into PSI Magnet would work at kill percents (from the magnet, of course), since we all know the true power of the magnet in this game. Nonetheless, I'll at the very least try to incorporate the Zair into grab or jab into my playstyle. Looks pretty bait-y since Lucas is generally never that close

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Zair > grab could very well be our bread and butter here, especially if we condition the opponent with things like Zair > Magnet etc. to bait out their shield.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Dudes, I gotta tell ya. Magnet sounds like a cool option out of zair, but the timing has to be so ridiculously exact to true combo it. I suppose that since the opponent is so close to the ground it doesn't matter though, because we can just hold it out until he stops airdodging.

My point is zair to fsmash is much more forgiving, and it kills like 40% earlier.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
This is even better when you consider the fact that you can cancel an airdodge at any time with a zair.

Approach in front of an opponent with a short hop air dodge, zair opponent waiting to punish.

And, for a mix-up if they shield/counter/jab, bair a SH air dodge so it's lagless and punish!

Leololer

Smash Rookie
NNID
ldeloler
3DS FC
3566-2089-7677
I think Zair to Fsmash and Zair to grab are the best ones, specially if you alternate them with the other. Awesome work

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
This is even better when you consider the fact that you can cancel an airdodge at any time with a zair.

Approach in front of an opponent with a short hop air dodge, zair opponent waiting to punish.

And, for a mix-up if they shield/counter/jab, bair a SH air dodge so it's lagless and punish!
I should really know this, but: does cancelling air-dodge into z-air also cancel the air dodge landing lag? Or do you incur more landing lag than if you had just used z-air?

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
I should really know this, but: does cancelling air-dodge into z-air also cancel the air dodge landing lag? Or do you incur more landing lag than if you had just used z-air?
It's just zair landing lag, nothing added. (Because zair cancelling removes all landing lag, it isn't a problem

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
This is what I meant on the thread I made, where I said zair gets you a tippered fsmash if positioned properly. Thanks for providing the video with all the Zair combos, this'll make Lucas' neutral SO good. Also I think the way you positioned Zair into Fsmash works at the very edge where you can fall off the stage and get a guranteed sweetspot fair.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
This is what I meant on the thread I made, where I said zair gets you a tippered fsmash if positioned properly. Thanks for providing the video with all the Zair combos, this'll make Lucas' neutral SO good. Also I think the way you positioned Zair into Fsmash works at the very edge where you can fall off the stage and get a guranteed sweetspot fair.
Ehhh...I know that zair goes through most projectiles, but his neutral isn't that amazing. Fair is...good, but it can't autocancel, and since zair is one of the laggier tethers I think this approach option only slightly improves his neutral.

Leololer

Smash Rookie
NNID
ldeloler
3DS FC
3566-2089-7677
It's just zair landing lag, nothing added. (Because zair cancelling removes all landing lag, it isn't a problem
Actually that's not true, normally Zair has no landing lag (4 frames) but if you SH Airdodge and then Zair, it has 22 frames of landing lag, which is the same landing lag an airdodge has.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Actually that's not true, normally Zair has no landing lag (4 frames) but if you SH Airdodge and then Zair, it has 22 frames of landing lag, which is the same landing lag an airdodge has.
But I'm doing the thing (the immediate zair we're talking about)

It's working fine - although I am using practice mode, does that effect landing lag/airdodging in anyway

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I'm pretty sure there's more lag on airdodge->zair.
(I zair'd a pikachu in both situations, hit it's mouth during full hop fall, with and with/o Airdodge.
w/o airdodge, i shield before pika touches ground, w/ , I shield when pika lands.)

This is also noticed when linking zair to grab, w/o airdodge, I grab Pika before it lands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom