• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas' Dair is extremely under-appreciated.

Tanukie

Smash Rookie
NNID
shaemulicious
3DS FC
0361-7495-1343
As you can see in my profile picture, I am a Lucas main.
Lucas has a variety of combos out of down throw, and all of his ariels have a way to connect with the target out of down throw.

However, Lucas' down air attack is very underestimated to be a great attack. Let's get into it.

-+-​

Easy:
Combo 1: If the opponent is at 0 - 35%, A simple down throw to dair will do the trick. However I suggest against using this combo, as down throw to nair can lead to better follow ups, and you will not complete the dair. Use this if you must.

Medium: Combo 2: If the opponent is at 35+%, do a down throw, to quick double jump dair. This is a good combo because if you do it correctly, they will be hit with every burst. If they opponent is at around 45+%, they will most likely miss the tech, and bounce back up, giving you a open window to do a dair again, and if you react fast enough, you can lead this into an up tilt.

Hard: Combo 3: If they opponent is at 60+%, do a down throw to quick double jump dair, and if you hit all of the bursts correctly, they will be meteored and come back up. When they do that, follow it up with a footstool, cancel the footstool after with a quick PSI-Magnet.

Hard: Combo 4: Repeat combo 3, however after the PSI-Magnet, follow it up with another dair, except this time you should quick fall into them, and use an up air, or a nair.

Easy: Combo 5: This will need a small running start, short hop over them, while doing a dair. You are not expected to hit all of them, just to stun them. Land and get a quick forward tilt.

-+-

Thank you for reading, try these out and give me your feedback. If you feel I should do another one of these, tell me which Character! Thank you!

-Tanukie

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Aside from being a combo extender, FH Dair can set up strings by itself and it's also quite safe on most characters' shields.

If you bounce them up with the last hit it's a free smash if they airdodge out of hitstun. If they miss the tech you can lock them with Dtilt and get a free Usmash. If they don't do anything out of the bounce you can SH Uair.

Honestly, Dair is a move that I don't see used very much and it's a shame because it still has a lot of potential.

Last edited:

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
If only D-air would pull people in. Then I would use that move even more but It happens way to much that I hit the first kick and then the second and third whiff. I do like it in doubles as shieldpoke. I team with a Cpt. Falcon and D-air into falcon's Knee is a shieldbreak.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
If only D-air would pull people in. Then I would use that move even more but It happens way to much that I hit the first kick and then the second and third whiff. I do like it in doubles as shieldpoke. I team with a Cpt. Falcon and D-air into falcon's Knee is a shieldbreak.
Doubles in Smash 4 is so much fun, I swear.

Until you fight a team with Game & Watch in it. Bucket makes G&W a doubles god.

Last edited:

beany

Smash Rookie
I feel you, man. I've only just started using Ledge jump to rising Dair, and it is so good. Like with all of Lucas' options, don't repeatedly go for it or you will be punished yada yada. But it's a good mixup because the easiest way to punish a Ledge Jump is with a Uair from whoever. The extended hitbox prevents that from happening, potentially sucking them in and spiking them against the ground. If they miss their tech, you have (generally) enough time to turn around (because you've landed behind them, by this point) and Fsmash. And since Lucas excels at edgeguarding, it's just easy money from there. This and footstool shenanigans are what made me fall in love with Dair, but those combos also look like lots of fun...

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
I feel the same way. I always whiff the second and third hit, so I avoid using d-air.

Top Bottom