• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas DACUS?

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
I know he has one im just having trouble executing it. I could dacus in brawl is it different in pm ?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
PM lacks Brawls 10 frames of buffer. There is a chance you are pressing things too early.

Also, because of DACUS overlapping with boost grab on the first possible frame (and boost grab taking priority), its usually better to use an attack input for your usmash rather than a grab input like unaltered Z, because it means a larger window for getting the timing.

Btw pretty sure there were already open threads asking for advice on Lucas DACUS

Last edited:

Spice

Smash Cadet
I have some trouble with mapping buttons as I use x for jumping sometimes (normally I use y) and I use L for wavedash out-of-shield (going R > Y > L is much easier than R > Y + let go of R > R for me personally). The Z input is tricky, but with a lot of practice (trying to do it 3-5 times a row a few times throughout your practice routines) it isn't that bad. If you have an open button to map to that is easier for you, definitely go that way, but the Z input method isn't impossible by any means.

If this helps at all, you want to go [Dash > C-down + Z + Analog Up], where C-down and Z+Up happen at virtually the same time. Think of dash as the first input and C-Down + Z-Up as the second. I think they need to be one frame apart, but I actually don't know for sure. If someone else has an idea, please chime in.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
The z method isn't impossible at all, its actually quite easy. The point I was trying to make is that using Z(grab), you can have the right execution and timing pretty much and still get a very slow "boosted" dash grab that doesn't really go anywhere and has a good chance of getting you punished.

People can do this **** however they like, its just that to some its nice to know why alternative options may be worth considering.

Last edited:

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
Did you miss the post I made just above? Your other options are using A instead of Z or mapping another button to attack. Everything else is unchanged.
i seen it i wanted to know how other lucas players dacus

Spice

Smash Cadet
i seen it i wanted to know how other lucas players dacus
I literally just listed every possible way that you can do it. Either use Z or remap attack to another button. Many prefer remapping L over Z.

[Dash > C-down + Z + Analog Up]

Z is the only variable, everything else HAS to be done the same way.

Last edited:

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Z is the only variable, everything else HAS to be done the same way.
Dash -> C-down -> Z+Up/Attack+Up is by far the easiest and most common way, but theoretically all you have to do is Dash -> Dash Attack -> UpSmash. You could use A for both the attack and the UpSmash if you wanted, though I wouldn't recommend it - there's a reason almost everybody uses the same inputs. It used to be that you had to use the C-Stick for the DACUS (and ofc it's still the case in Brawl), but that was changed in some version of PM.

The reason you usually use C-Stick down for the dash attack is that there's a 4 frame window at the beginning of the dash where it can be cancelled into an f-smash (the reason you can perform stutter f-smashs) and you avoid triggering that window by using C-Stick down.
The window for the up-smash input is frame 3 and 4 of the DA (i.e. you have to "wait" (not really) for 1/2 frames between the dash attack input and the up-smash input). As Burnsy already mentioned, DA can be canceled into dash grab (resulting in a boost grab) on the first 3 frames, the last of those obviously being the first frame you could up-smash, and takes priority. You use C-Stick up for the up-smash, but it's really hard to do so if also using the C-stick for the DA.

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
Dash -> C-down -> Z+Up/Attack+Up is by far the easiest and most common way, but theoretically all you have to do is Dash -> Dash Attack -> UpSmash. You could use A for both the attack and the UpSmash if you wanted, though I wouldn't recommend it - there's a reason almost everybody uses the same inputs. It used to be that you had to use the C-Stick for the DACUS (and ofc it's still the case in Brawl), but that was changed in some version of PM.

The reason you usually use C-Stick down for the dash attack is that there's a 4 frame window at the beginning of the dash where it can be cancelled into an f-smash (the reason you can perform stutter f-smashs) and you avoid triggering that window by using C-Stick down.
The window for the up-smash input is frame 3 and 4 of the DA (i.e. you have to "wait" (not really) for 1/2 frames between the dash attack input and the up-smash input). As Burnsy already mentioned, DA can be canceled into dash grab (resulting in a boost grab) on the first 3 frames, the last of those obviously being the first frame you could up-smash, and takes priority. You use C-Stick up for the up-smash, but it's really hard to do so if also using the C-stick for the DA.
hmmm could i mabye do dash to A button to cstick up?

Top Bottom