• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas 0-death confirm impossible as of Patch 1.1.3

Do think this is major nerf on the viability of Lucas?

• Yes

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • No

Votes: 51 96.2%

• Total voters

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
As we know, Lucas has received great buffs on the FAF on his grabs which ultimately means that you suffer less end lag on whiff, and you can act out of it faster makes throws harder to DI on reaction. However, Lucas has received one huge nerf which is on his neutral air.

The looping hits damage has been increased from 1.0 to 2.0% meaning that the n-air footstool set-up will no longer confirm 0-death on every character on the cast.

Of course, this is dependent on character weight, fall speed, gravity, etc but from testing on Mario, the 0-death is not possible because Mario it sent to high around 35% making the footstool impossible.

Video Confirm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sb2wRUQx1s

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
Please, no confirmation bias.

D-throw -> footstool d-air lock / footstool magnet momentum cancel fair still work, which were arguably the better ways to get the "0-death" than following up after n-air. And I put 0-death in quotations because you can rarely carry opponents to a KO anyway. If n-air really is harder to follow up as of this patch, this isn't the viewpoint to be looking at it.

D

Deleted member

Please, no confirmation bias.

D-throw -> footstool d-air lock / footstool magnet momentum cancel fair still work, which were arguably the better ways to get the "0-death" than following up after n-air. And I put 0-death in quotations because you can rarely carry opponents to a KO anyway. If n-air really is harder to follow up as of this patch, this isn't the viewpoint to be looking at it.
Exactly, Lucas has a ton of more options than the "0 to Death".

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Nair's loop hits now act grab setup because they combo with d-tilt, jab and uptilt.
This makes it much more amazing and versatile as an aerial than pre-1.1.3 nair. The footstool combos are too risky and are rarely seen in competitive play; it's easier to just go for the d-throw>nair>fair/upair/nair for guaranteed damage. That's still like 30% off of one grab, and it ends with your opponents either over you or towards the ledge/offstage.

Last edited:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
You mean the incredibly elaborate, barely worthwhile combo string isn't possible on a few more characters to go with the several slow-falling characters that it already didn't work on reliably?

You're probably right, Lucas is far less viable as a competitive character now. If only he had a dozen other combo options from his grab at literally any percent with which to rack up damage and gain stage control, he might still be viable.

I guess we should switch to Ness while the getting's good.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Nair's loop hits now act grab setup because they combo with d-tilt, jab and uptilt.
This makes it much more amazing and versatile as an aerial than pre-1.1.3 nair. The footstool combos are too risky and are rarely seen in competitive play; it's easier to just go for the d-throw>nair>fair/upair/nair for guaranteed damage. That's still like 30% off of one grab, and it ends with your opponents either over you or towards the ledge/offstage.
That moment when d throw -> nair -> nair does 30 percent. FTW!

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
But now
d throw
Nair
Full hop dair
Fastfall nair (only land a couple hits)
Into x2 d tilt
Into grab or f smash is waaaayyyy easier to get now.
So i think losing that one zero to death doesn't matter that much.

Last edited:

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Fair reaches that high after the second nair? I think you'd have to do it after the first nair, in which case that would only be 27.5% (6.5%+12.0%+11.0%), but with the possibility of other follow-ups.

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
Zero-to-death combos are unpractical and extremely hard. Why not play normally and add in few combo strings to get the same effect, killing the player. Don't see much of this in the metagame, but if you guys truly want a zero-to-death combo, well it's back to the drawing board, find another one.

Also, the damage increase is pretty great. Makes those smaller combos like DThrow > NAir, more stronger and effective.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Fair reaches that high after the second nair? I think you'd have to do it after the first nair, in which case that would only be 27.5% (6.5%+12.0%+11.0%), but with the possibility of other follow-ups.
My buddy's DI might just be Ass, but I manage to get the combo i mentioned on him pretty often as a mix-up from the typical Nair nair Upair one.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
I'm more partial to n-air > d-air on the characters that are harder to get n-air n-air u-air on. Loving the new n-air, especially fastfalling into grounded opponents with it.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Is that safer now? I kinda un-learned that habit because it was getting me punished.
Yeah the extra 1.0% makes a huge difference and starts confirming into d-tilt/up tilt at like 70% (give or take the 1 frame difference). Even at lower percentages opponents have to react very quickly to escape when they get hit by nair.

It's not any safer on shield, though. In fact, it's less safe now that you get additional hitlag (though the opponent is also stuck in shield a little longer). I really feel like they should reduce the hitlag to like 0.7 or something. 5 hits of electric hitlag (electric moves automatically get additional hitlag) is a ridiculous amount.

Last edited:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Yeah the extra 1.0% makes a huge difference and starts confirming into d-tilt/up tilt at like 70% (give or take the 1 frame difference). Even at lower percentages opponents have to react very quickly to escape when they get hit by nair.

It's not any safer on shield, though. In fact, it's less safe now that you get additional hitlag (though the opponent is also stuck in shield a little longer). I really feel like they should reduce the hitlag to like 0.7 or something. 5 hits of electric hitlag (electric moves automatically get additional hitlag) is a ridiculous amount.
Oh, i had thought it was "magic" category hit lag, whatever that may be.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Oh, i had thought it was "magic" category hit lag, whatever that may be.
Yeah he's stuck with electric attacks instead, which only serves to make him less safe on shield, and less capable of linking multi-hitting moves successfully. They should've at least made it like Pikachu's electric attacks, which have lowered hitlag modifiers and less gaps between hitboxes.

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Do y'all have links to videos of all these combos you're mentioning? I've seen some, but you've mentioned some stuff above that I have no seen before.

Top Bottom