• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's weaknesses?

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
I find Lucario very irritating as he can kill you when you're at extremely low percents with Aura, especially with side b as you can tell I'm very salty when I play this character. Please help?

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I wanna say you're a dirty liar because it's almost impossible for Lucario to KO anyone when he's at the 0 - 40% range. Beyond that is when I start feeling some Aura. This is why I never like dying as Lucario more than I do with Monado Shield Shulk.

Last edited:

Douglas Jay Ganon

Smash Apprentice
My apologies, just edited it. So what are Lucario's weaknesses?
Exploitable recovery. I main Falcon, and I have perfectly calculated when to dair Lucario in the middle of a straight line recovery. Of course, they don't have to recover from a straight line, but that would 90% of the times to them landing on stage. If you see them doing that very often, punish with your most powerful move. When tilted bad, that recovery has insane amount of lag.

His air hitboxes are somehow bad, as they aren't very big. But be careful with that bair, it kills stupidly low in a situation of 100% Lucario against a 75% you (mid weight).

I was also salty to Lucario :urg: because I found kind of unfair and salt-provoking that Aura mechanic. You are beating the hell out of him, but then he up throws you and double uair and still deal like 35 if not 45% with a good read. Also, when you think you got him, he punish you like REALLY hard.
THEN I learned that Lucario might be all that salt-inducing, but you need to control the salt and the anger. Playing salty/angry won't make you play better. Against a Lucario, you need to control the flow of battle. Don't let Lucario do it. You might need to change your usual playstyle, and play really (like really) patiently and calm, and watch the battle calmly.

PS: I play Falcon a lot, and he makes me come to him while he charges AS. I perfect shield it and quickly dash grab/dash attack, but he spot dodges and punish me with those already mentioned 45% dmg combo throws. If this ever happen to you, remember to relax, and learn how he punish before he gets the aura. If he spot dodges, pivot smashes will do the trick.

Hope I helped.

TL;DR: Play really patient and observe his habits. Punish hard and kill early. Having any kind of easy meteor will help.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
I, personally, would recommend using a character significantly faster than Lucario. As there are a lot of characters that outrun Lucario, this shouldn't be too hard to find. Make sure they have a decent recovery and a decent weight so they don't get knocked around as easily, and therefore won't be taken down as easily. A good strategy (in my opinion) would be to use someone with a reflector or counter and try to read him to know when he might use Ayra Sphere or a Smash attack. His Up-B has a good enough window of landing lag if he lands on the stage and not the ledge, and that's a good enough window of time to punish him.
TL;DR: Play really patient and observe his habits. Punish hard and kill early. Having any kind of easy meteor will help.
I agree 100%

Zyflair

Smash Rookie
Lucario has pretty questionable frame data and his tilts are laughable in damage when he doesn't have aura. You're free to go in on him till he's at 40% because none of his punishes are that hard. When the power of aura starts to kick in, Lucario is still susceptible to pressure/rushdown games as he needs space to setup most of his devastating hitboxes. The easiest way to keep a Lucario player from being comfortable is to keep him from being offensive with aura.

L3 Exo

Smash Rookie
You best bet?
Speed or Kill power.
Most of Lucario's bad match-ups come from frame data disadvantages - where you don't get to play the game, and high kill power - where you don't get to live long enough to make use of aura.
Other than that, just play safe, and don't sit and shield every back air they throw, because it WILL break your shield, or it WILL kill you.
Also, characters with proper utility can do fine against Lucario (Villager, Rosalina, and Mario are the notable examples)

L3 Exo

Smash Rookie
Basically, any character that's fast and can kill. Guess what the top and high tier characters all are?
Pretttttttyyyy much.
Basically play high tier and you immediately make your life easier.
Or, if you're masochistic or are feeling manly, you can try Ike, Ganon, or Up-Tilt Donkey Kong with silly grab confirms. (Bowser could also be a thing, but if you're skill cap isn't on par with the Lucario, you're going to have a REALLY bad time.)
Oh, also Roy can kill Lucario really early, but your mind games need to be good. Thankfully your frames are better.

But seriously, play Sheik, Rosalina, Fox, or Villager seriously, and you should be having a pretty fine time against Lucario, assuming you learn your character properly.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
I actually wouldn't recommend Villager against Lucario. Lucario can avoid the kill set ups that Villager relies on pretty easily. And Villager can't kill from a distance, only rack up damage. Lucario can actually live long enough consistently against Villager to abuse super Side B.

L3 Exo

Smash Rookie
I actually wouldn't recommend Villager against Lucario. Lucario can avoid the kill set ups that Villager relies on pretty easily. And Villager can't kill from a distance, only rack up damage. Lucario can actually live long enough consistently against Villager to abuse super Side B.
Villager has a better time spacing out Lucario, from my experience. And while Force Palm at high percentages is definitely a helpful tool, I don't find that it's enough for the match-up. Landing a kill on villager can be a bit difficult for Lucario though, unless they set up gyroid while you're close, letting you run in and punish before it gets a hitbox. Turnips and fair/bair are enough for villager in regards to killing, and if you make any mistake while close for a punish, most of your lag is enough to have a bowling ball dropped or be down tilted.
Though, I've found that playing on battlefield in the match-up makes things MUCH simpler, so it could be a situational match-up.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Super Side B helps tremendously in this matchup as it shuts down Villager completely. The way I play the matchup, Villager's aerials hardly faze me. Keep enough space where fair/bair are always weak and free damage. Never in situations where uair/dair are threats.

Lloid Rocket becomes a liability once Force Palm starts to reach super status. And Villager's grab is something Lucario almost never has to worry about. Villager is like Ness/Mario where on paper it seems like Villager shuts down Lucario but they don't...unlike Ness and Mario.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
He has major issues being camped out and his frame data is atrocious. He also gets wrecked by just about every top/high tier who's name isn't Sheik or Luigi.

L3 Exo

Smash Rookie
Yeah, Sheik contrary to what a lot of people think, has more than a fine time against Lucario. Yeah, Lucario CAN kill sheik, and can live to high percentages, but add in actually LANDING the punish on Sheik. Sheik... well, easy answer is frame data.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Yeah, Sheik contrary to what a lot of people think, has more than a fine time against Lucario. Yeah, Lucario CAN kill sheik, and can live to high percentages, but add in actually LANDING the punish on Sheik. Sheik... well, easy answer is frame data.
She can put that frame data to good use, but it's kind of obsolete when Lucario is constantly in a state where one stray smash attack will send her back to Hyrule.

L3 Exo

Smash Rookie
As much as one good hit from Lucario can send 90% of the roster back to their respective mothers' wombs, that....
Yeah, Pitbuller put it best.
No. A lot of no.

Jcsaenz1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4210-4404-7146
I think Lucario vs. Sheik comes down to the ability to read from the Lucario player. If they can get a couple of hard reads (granted, very hard to do so) then they win the matchup. It's more about the playstyle in this matchup in my opinion.

Top Bottom