• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario combo discussion

ZaloMonkada

Smash Cadet
I'm having a hard time finding hard finding combos that aren't dependent on di. Are there any hard combos or soft combos y'all know of? Try to include the percentage and character type (floatie, specie, fat). Here's some jumping off points:

-combos out of dash attack
-combos out of grab or side b
-combos out of shield

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to claim to be an authority on Lucario but I know a decent bit about how he works. Lucario like any combo oriented character is more or less open ended. I'm not sure if you have backgrounds in other fighters or not, but with P:M and smash in general anything over about 2 hits generally requires some sort of read or reaction to DI and/or tech options. What I would suggest to help you A) Save time and B) be more effective with comboing your opponent is instead of looking more or less for a specific thing to rehearse, look into learning each and every move well enough that you understand how it's hitboxes work or how it launches an opponent. Knowing that will definitely give you a more intuitive view of combos in general and allow you to make the right decision without really having to think about it.

Godspeed you on your Lucario ventures.

ZaloMonkada

Smash Cadet
I understand that but if there are any combos that actually do exist, it would be nice to know. Also any good follow ups out of grabs or other abilities would be great to know ( for example you can usually follow up dtilt with nair for kills). I wanted to have a discussion about combining with lucario but I'm aware that unbreakable combos may not exist and that combos that do occur are usually situational

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
Because of SMASH DI, and DI, there are almost no garenteed combos that you can do 100% of the time, with the exception of some chain grabs.

However, there are garenteed combos that can be made out of reactions to your opponents DI and smash DI, Basically , you have to react to what they do.

Here is a combo I usually do if my opponent does not DI properly (works on midweight characters and mid %), Downthrow into neutral air.

Another somewhat reliant combo on tether recoverers I do is that I aurasphere at a decent spacing away from the stage (using aura) and then the tether person has a choice to either wait or abuse ledge invincibility and get on the stage. If they choose to wait, I jump down and Backair them for a kill. If they get up using the invincibility, you can forward tilt them pushing them into the aura sphere (assuming its gone past the legde now)

PcTriumph

Smash Apprentice
Lucario's on hit cancel system usually allows for some very difficult or impossible to DI out of combos on the ground. For example, jab, ftilt, side-b/fsmash, is guaranteed on a lot of the cast between 0-30%, and on spacies can work even up to 60%ish. Beyond the grounded OHC, mostly look for follow ups. Forward air is good for chasing your opponents who DI away from you. Jumping out of your upsmash can lead to an easy follow up with any aerial, dependent again on the opponents DI. Downair to aerial side B can be a good combo and is great for getting into shields. Lastly, don't forget that you can use down-b and up-b cancels with aura to follow up or secure kills.

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
I dont have too much experience, but the lucario combos I use are generally something like:
dash attack => up smash => jump cancel the up smash => fair or uair, depending on the opponent's position. I also would try to hit a short hop fair to start the combo. theres also some things you can do out of down throw, but I would experiment with that. Also, if they crouch-cancel the dash attack, you could also try to down smash. His neutral combo is:
neutral a (x3) => f-tilt => forward b => then the previous dash attack combo. Hope that helped

ZaloMonkada

Smash Cadet
Up throw combos into nair / nair if they don't DI. I've started abusing this at mid % when I see no di multiple times. Also, dash/jab > dtilt > usmash > jc dair > d special/ f special is ridiculous shield pressure. If you cancel everything instantly I don't think they can roll or grab before hit stun ends.

EDIT: just beware of them ccing your dash / jabs. Dtilt usually knocks them up at pretty low percentage and ruins their cc

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
up b cancels into all of his aerials (im not sure about b aerials), and down b can be cancelled into anything, i think.

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
im pretty sure it still does an aerial
Hold on, just tested it. i was wrong about sideways up b, as he does NOT do an aerial. Also, i dont think his b moves can be cancelled into

SuperNova!

Smash Apprentice
Cancelled into? I thought we were talking about cancelling out of... I'm not up on the terminology, though, so I might have been saying it wrong.

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
Cancelled into? I thought we were talking about cancelling out of... I'm not up on the terminology, though, so I might have been saying it wrong.
sorry, i was referring to using an aura charge to cancel his up or side b

CORY

wut
BRoomer
upb can be cancelled into anything, not just normals, since the cancel animation is a special hitbox. so you can upb-cancel-force palm if you so desire.

downb can only be cancelled into normals, since that's how it functions (the attack input itself is the cancel).

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Hey guys. noob question but how do you cancel the up b? like... input wise? Do u just press the B move you want to cancel up B into or do you press L/R to cancel?

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Hey guys. noob question but how do you cancel the up b? like... input wise? Do u just press the B move you want to cancel up B into or do you press L/R to cancel?
Lucario can't cancel his up b using B or L/R. He can only cancel it if he use's an aura stock (meaning u press A during extreme speed, whenever you have an aura stock)

CORY

wut
BRoomer
when you have an aura stock, upb, then just hit a. lucario will do something that looks kind of like your uptaunt and that has a bit of ahitbox around it. you can cancel that hitbox into anything on hit, or just act after that hitbox occurs and do anything EXCEPT another upb.

ManaX

Smash Apprentice
Down B cancel into neutral air makes for a nice approach. Just don't forget to l-cancel or you'll get bit.

Caketastic

Smash Rookie
Not true combo's but i'll list a few.

-jab, jab, d-smash
-jab, jab, f-tilt, side-b, full hop f-air, either aerial side-b or neutral b. (if you land the force palm, follow up with down air or n-air depending on the height of the side b)
-Dash attack, f-tilt, side-b, dash into up-smash, jump cancel f-air or n-air.
-Up-smash into n-air or f-air (if f-air and opponent doesnt DI away, follow up with side b. If opponent DI's, use neutral b)

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Important information for coming up with air combos:
Lucario has a mechanic similar to Wario's Shoulder Bash and Pit's Command Glide. If he starts Extremespeed on the ground and then cancels with a charge, he can Up-B again in that air time. Thus, he could do things like offstage hitting by knocking the opponent to off the stage, then quickly chase and hit (before giving the opponent a chance to recover) using a ground-started Extremespeed canceled into an attack (side-b works nicely), and then recover normally with reverse down-b (or turn around with back air or Aura Sphere Cancel and forward down-b) and another Extremespeed.

You can use grounded up-B for air combos in general. An example of an on-stage combo is (at a high perent) up-throw, Extremespeed chase, cancel into neutral air.

You may find Extremespeed worth spending a charge on sometimes because Lucario's regular air mobility is low. Though UpB has significant startup lag, the dash is very fast and good for guaranteeing combos.

Caketastic

Smash Rookie
Important information for coming up with air combos:
Lucario has a mechanic similar to Wario's Shoulder Bash and Pit's Command Glide. If he starts Extremespeed on the ground and then cancels with a charge, he can Up-B again in that air time. Thus, he could do things like offstage hitting by knocking the opponent to off the stage, then quickly chase and hit (before giving the opponent a chance to recover) using a ground-started Extremespeed canceled into an attack (side-b works nicely), and then recover normally with reverse down-b (or turn around with back air or Aura Sphere Cancel and forward down-b) and another Extremespeed.

You can use grounded up-B for air combos in general. An example of an on-stage combo is (at a high perent) up-throw, Extremespeed chase, cancel into neutral air.

You may find Extremespeed worth spending a charge on sometimes because Lucario's regular air mobility is low. Though UpB has significant startup lag, the dash is very fast and good for guaranteeing combos.
Up-B cancel into a side b is a very good surprise burst combo. It tends to take your opponent offguard, and force palm sets up into so many other follow-ups.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Today I finally managed to get some good offline human practice for the first time without WiFi messing up my matches with KnitePhox. I was in a match against a Bowser user (easily my hardest MU with Lucario by leagues), and was forced to end up tech chasing with grabs at early to mid high percents because of Bowser's insane CC game. I had the same issues with a Mario player until mid percents. I would hit with d/u tilt and get horribly punished. I'm finding that his grab game is absolutely amazing for combos over his polarizing tilts.

Top Bottom