• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low percent kills

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Were I to take on a space animal and try to go for the kill at a low percent, what would be my best option? Fair, edgeguarding, fsmash? Doc's obviously limited in his options but I want to use as many as I can to keep it fresh.

Fresh like the Prince.

Zonak

Smash Cadet
Low percent kills are kinda rough with Doc, but if you get them close to the edge and off stage, back-air would be your best option to keep them back. Fair is too slow to use effectively, and if they're a decent player, they'll always go for the ledge. You could try nair, but it would only be really effective if you're facing them since the inner leg doesn't stretch out enough to hit him before he hits you.

If you know they're going to come horizontally at you back onto the stage, I honestly think it's better to get into a position to grab and combo off that, since it would be more effective than any normal you could throw out at low percents.

If they go high, they'll most likely land on a platform. You can either meet them and grab, but since Doc is kinda slow, I like to meet them with up-airs, which can generally cause them to tumble onto the platform where you can either react with a grab or go for an up-smash read.

In general though, you're not going to kill a Spacie at low percent. Docs throws are easy to DI and they'll generally be close enough to the stage to grab it. You optimally want to get them into a chain-grab situation, and try to begin up-air combos at around 65-70%.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I tend to just dash dance around and rack up a little damage from pillspam until I can set up for chaingrabs. If done correctly, f-throw/b-throw off of a ledge, and depending on their DI, use bair, dair, or gimp with up-Special or Cape.

Something I make use of if they recover high or right above the ledge is the broken hitbox on u-tilts. Seriously, it out-priorities a majority of what a spacey can recover with if you time it properly, and it comes out quickly and sends them either upwards to be followed up with an aerial or farther to the side, which sets you up for a cape. u-tilt is your safest option for falco, and cape works for both spaceys obviously.

Doc actually has some pretty good options for gimping fox, falco, CF, Ganon, marth, puff (only if they're nub enough to rollout), among many others. That paired with the fact that he has the most chaingrabs in the game is what makes him good

It's all situational for what you should use, and you shouldn't use one option too much in the event that the other player expects it to happen. Mix it up occasionally.

Last edited:

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Honestly just get them off the stage. If they try to side b first then f.tilt > cape their up+b, if they try to sweet spot the side b then cape them they'll get sent into knockdown mode and will fall straight down to their death. if they choose to initially up+b turn around b.air > b.air. make sure you b.air them twice or they'll come back like zombies

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
B-air is your best bet for getting Low% kills. You can even gimp floaties with a few really well-placed Bairs (I find that I get a lot of these on Fountain of Dreams, for some reason).

Top Bottom