• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low KO count with Kirby

CJR

Smash Rookie
When I play Kirby against my friend's Ganondorf on 3 stock, even though I win about 70% of the matches, he gets WAY more KOs. It seems that I'm rarely applying the final blow on my opponent, but provoking him into a mistake. Repeated unanswerable small attacks can make a powerful player get frustrated, and want to go in for the major kill. Then I normally do creative edge-guarding to ensure they don't recover from their move :)

Is this how Kirby is meant to be played? I really can't see him going in with the big smashes all the time.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Not nessessarily. That probly wont happen often against more skilled players or in a tournament. Work on getting KOs. Its better that way. Also if you kirbycide alot that doesn't can't as your kill.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
The idea behind Kirby is that you use his evasive game (good roll, quick sidestep, crouch, good shield) to poke at them until you can knock them off the level and edgeguard them (usually with B-airs off the stage, above the stage or D-smash if they're sweet-spotting). This is obviously complicated by his lack of the following: range, damage, durability, combo potential and kill move.

You also have to stick to the other guy to win because he gets pressured by spam very easily and doesn't have an answer to it. He's also approach ********, but he fares even worse at a distance so stick to the other guy. Less breathing room is better.

CJR

Smash Rookie
Some nice advice, thanks all :) Does a death caused by edgeguarding count as my KO? Not a meteor smash but just denying him back on the stage

Zorga

Smash Rookie
I'm a little using Kirby, and I play a defensive game. He has good rolls and dodges, a big shield compared to his lengh, and an super grab range =D effective for shieldgrabbing. I don't understand why players think he is so bad...

CJR

Smash Rookie
The way I've always seen it is that if you don't get hit by anyone, he's just as good as the rest :) Only when people start pinging you round the map does Kirby's weaknesses before apparent

Top Bottom